Albany College of Pharmacy - Getting into professional phase

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

charmedgurl21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there!

I was accepted at Albany College of Pharmacy this fall 2009, starting as a freshman. I understand that there is a minimum 3.0 GPA and PCAT requirement, and an inteview before continuing on to the professional (P1) phase.

I was hoping to get some insight on how likely it is that students get into the professional phase after starting as a freshman. I've spoken to Admissions who told me that out of the 250 freshmen, there are 200 seats available for the professional phase. This sounds a little too good to be true? That's an 80% acceptance rate!

Any insight on maintaining the GPA, what the competetive GPA is, and the student life is greatly appreciated!

Enjoy the rest of your holidays:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello there!

I was accepted at Albany College of Pharmacy this fall 2009, starting as a freshman. I understand that there is a minimum 3.0 GPA and PCAT requirement, and an inteview before continuing on to the professional (P1) phase.

I was hoping to get some insight on how likely it is that students get into the professional phase after starting as a freshman. I've spoken to Admissions who told me that out of the 250 freshmen, there are 200 seats available for the professional phase. This sounds a little too good to be true? That's an 80% acceptance rate!

Any insight on maintaining the GPA, what the competetive GPA is, and the student life is greatly appreciated!

Enjoy the rest of your holidays:)

From what I have heard from friends who go to Albany College of Pharmacy, the first two years are pretty hard in comparison to SUNY Albany, Russel Sage, St. Rose, and other institutions.

Now, while it maybe true that there are 250 freshman and 200 seats available for the professional phase pending adequate PCAT, GPA, and interview... you must also look at Albany's attrition. Yes, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is too good to be true. I think I saw upwards of 40% from prepharm1 - P4. So you might want to take that into consideration when making a decision. It was recently put on probabtion last year because of this and a few other factors which I don't know of.

As for your last question concerning GPA, I don't know of the GPA avg but would imagine it being about a 3.3 since you can't have below a 3.0 professional? Have fun.

Retention data for the last 5 years at ACP can be found in the doc below - useful because it separates those who withdrew passing from academic dismissals. Remember that they weren't under the 3.0 minimum gpa - I think it was around 2.5! When we visited I took a look at the Dean's list for Spring 08 posted on a bulletin board there and saw only 1 freshman on it! I'm also thinking that it may be more difficult there than at some other schools, but we'll talk with current students we know soon and let you know what they say.

http://www.acp.edu/documents/cat2008_hons-awards.pdf