Albany Med housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

callmerolergrl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be starting AMC in the fall and wanted advice from current students about housing. When is the best time to look, what are ways to look, and is it best to live alone or w/ people? Also, I am a bit hesitant to live w/ peole since I'm older, 27, shoud I even worry about that?
Your help is appreciated. Good luck w/ exams ;)

Members don't see this ad.

I sent you a PM, but as far as the age thing you are probably about at the class average or only a year above, so I wouldn't worry about that.

dontstuddy said:
I sent you a PM, but as far as the age thing you are probably about at the class average or only a year above, so I wouldn't worry about that.

If you'd like to start looking now, you can request a housing list from the Student Affairs Office. You can also look for places in the timesunion.com or in the spotlight newspaper (do a google search for "Spotlight newspaper, Delmar,NY" and it should come up). I'd say you'd probably want to find a place for a Aug. 1 start and you should look in July. There's a lot of opportunities right in and around school and if you wanted a quieter area and don't mind driving 10mins to school definitely look in the Delmar/Glenmont area.

My first year at AMC (I got my masters) I lived in Albany about 1.5miles from school and then I moved to Delmar. Both had its benefits. THe only thing I warn you is if you decide to live by the park, parking is tricky and you'll spend a lot of time driving around to find a spot.

PM if you have any more questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
callmerolergrl said:
I'll be starting AMC in the fall and wanted advice from current students about housing. When is the best time to look, what are ways to look, and is it best to live alone or w/ people? Also, I am a bit hesitant to live w/ peole since I'm older, 27, shoud I even worry about that?
Your help is appreciated. Good luck w/ exams ;)
Check out my response in the 2010 AMC Class thread.

RxnMan said:
Check out my response in the 2010 AMC Class thread.

I'll also be a first year at AMC this fall. Take a look at albany.craigslist.com, it's got everything you'll need.

drdoctor said:
I'll also be a first year at AMC this fall. Take a look at albany.craigslist.com, it's got everything you'll need.
I took a look at your postings - are you one of the RPI->AMC combined kids? If so, how was it? It looks like it could be fun. Are you doing the MD-DR program? I expressed interest in it, and some of the profs have already contacted me to do work for them at RPI - how is it there?

RxnMan said:
I took a look at your postings - are you one of the RPI->AMC combined kids? If so, how was it? It looks like it could be fun. Are you doing the MD-DR program? I expressed interest in it, and some of the profs have already contacted me to do work for them at RPI - how is it there?

Hey, its nice to meet you. I saw your mdapplicants profile, very very inspiring, I look forward to actually meeting you in August. Yes, I'm in the program. RPI was a ton of fun. Did alot of cool stuff and had the opportunity to forward some extracurricular interests. I'm doing the MDDR program. We started research 2 days a week this past spring semester, and doing full time research this summer and next summer. I'm working in the Immunology/Microbial Disease department and enjoying it alot. I like the MDDR because it gives you that research exposure - writing a grant proposal, doing extensive research, posters, writing a thesis, defending it, etc, but it's not too time consuming (PhD) and lets you finish med. school in 4 years.
RPI has some amazing opportunities. The biotech/bme department is getting crazy funding and the prof. are doing very very well. With your background, you can definitely get really involved. You could find a project where you can work at AMC too...it might be more convenient, maybe a prof. at RPI who collaborates with somebody at AMC.
I'm looking forward to med. school though to get closer to the clinical side. Doing research at AMC, I feel the faculty/students are very friendly and helpful. It's a nice, tight-knit environment.

drdoctor said:
...I look forward to actually meeting you in August. Yes, I'm in the program. RPI was a ton of fun...I'm working in the Immunology/Microbial Disease department and enjoying it alot. I like the MDDR because it gives you that research exposure - writing a grant proposal, doing extensive research, posters, writing a thesis, defending it, etc, but it's not too time consuming (PhD) and lets you finish med. school in 4 years.
RPI has some amazing opportunities. The biotech/bme department is getting crazy funding and the prof. are doing very very well. With your background, you can definitely get really involved. You could find a project where you can work at AMC too...it might be more convenient, maybe a prof. at RPI who collaborates with somebody at AMC.
drdoctor - that's everything that I wanted to hear. I knew I wanted to do some sort of summer research during med school, but did not know that RPI was next door to Albany when I applied. It was a good surprise. It was even better when I saw how closely the universities worked and the projects they had going on in the RPI BME department.

The MD-DR looks good, too. It seems to be a strong program with good faculty support (which is crucial to getting your degree). You get some good writing skills, it's a way to differentiate yourself for the Match, and it doesn't cost you a year.

Immuno is not my style. I spent a 1.5 doing bench chemistry, and it's just not as fun for me. I did get in contact with the MD-DR program director and he's getting me a tour of the BME department when I'm up there looking at apartments.

Keep in touch. You can meet other Albany 2010 students via our class thread in the Allo forum.

RxnMan said:
drdoctor - that's everything that I wanted to hear. I knew I wanted to do some sort of summer research during med school, but did not know that RPI was next door to Albany when I applied. It was a good surprise. It was even better when I saw how closely the universities worked and the projects they had going on in the RPI BME department.

The MD-DR looks good, too. It seems to be a strong program with good faculty support (which is crucial to getting your degree). You get some good writing skills, it's a way to differentiate yourself for the Match, and it doesn't cost you a year.

Immuno is not my style. I spent a 1.5 doing bench chemistry, and it's just not as fun for me. I did get in contact with the MD-DR program director and he's getting me a tour of the BME department when I'm up there looking at apartments.

Keep in touch. You can meet other Albany 2010 students via our class thread in the Allo forum.

Yeah basic science research is alright, but the animal work is definitely interesting especially dissections. Good luck with finding a lab.