Albany Med vs. New York Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jr doctor in sd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was just curious if accepted to both of these programs, which would you choose to attend?

Since interviewing at both, these are the pros/cons that I have obtained:

AMC:
Pros - small class size (140), hospital RIGHT next door to basic sciences, relaxed schedules MSI and MSII, very non-competitive feel
Cons - freezing cold, location felt a bit boring (city of only 100,000...which seems tiny to me since im from LA and go to school in San Diego).

New York Med
Pros - very high Step I scores, 25 minutes from New York City, milder climate
Cons - Big class size (200), Touro merger fears, tough schedule MSI and MSII

P.S. cost for both are roughly the same.

I love both schools and could see myself at either one. But I wanted your honest opinions on what to do :). Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

NYMC, because it is outside of NYC and you can do your rotations there and hang out in NYC a lot, while Albany is a really boring place with nothing going on. The Touro merger is something to worry about, but I don't think any negative changes will occur for another 5+ years, as it will take time for Touro to make decisions that could potentially ruin the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
NYMC, because it is outside of NYC and you can do your rotations there and hang out in NYC a lot, while Albany is a really boring place with nothing going on. The Touro merger is something to worry about, but I don't think any negative changes will occur for another 5+ years, as it will take time for Touro to make decisions that could potentially ruin the school.

Uhh NYMC is still pretty far outside of NY. Secondly, I grew up in Albany and am actually here visiting family right now and there is a ton of stuff going on here especially now. The city is really growing. So think twice before you insult areas where people call home and dont be a douche.

I currently attend SUNY Albany for my undergrad (I live about 10 blocks from AMC) and have an interview at NYMC in a few weeks. Here are some pros and cons I can list for you regarding location:

AMC
Pros - Located in a college town, with lots of undergrad colleges around, along with grad schools like Albany Law, Albany Pharm, and SAGE.
AMC is within 5 blocks of a very nice park, a number of clubs/bars/eats/shows... but its not NYC.
Albany is CHEAP to live in.
Cons - Albany is cold. And Windy. And Cold. But you get used to it.

NYMC
Pros - Close to NYC, but not THAT close, keep that in mind.
Warmer than Albany, but only by 3 - 4 degrees. A little less snow too (but not enough to influence your decision greatly).
Cons - Located in Westchester (Expensive!)

I'm not sure which school I would choose. I've been living in albany for over 3 years now, so I'd like a change of scenery... but I loved living here.

hope that helps!

I currently attend SUNY Albany for my undergrad (I live about 10 blocks from AMC) and have an interview at NYMC in a few weeks. Here are some pros and cons I can list for you regarding location:

AMC
Pros - Located in a college town, with lots of undergrad colleges around, along with grad schools like Albany Law, Albany Pharm, and SAGE.
AMC is within 5 blocks of a very nice park, a number of clubs/bars/eats/shows... but its not NYC.
Albany is CHEAP to live in.
Cons - Albany is cold. And Windy. And Cold. But you get used to it.

NYMC
Pros - Close to NYC, but not THAT close, keep that in mind.
Warmer than Albany, but only by 3 - 4 degrees. A little less snow too (but not enough to influence your decision greatly).
Cons - Located in Westchester (Expensive!)

I'm not sure which school I would choose. I've been living in albany for over 3 years now, so I'd like a change of scenery... but I loved living here.

hope that helps!

Did you live in Albany before college? Albany did have some deep dark days...but its really turned itself around and has a pretty good nightlife and stuff going on.....especially in the summer with Saratoga/Lake George etc.

Uhh NYMC is still pretty far outside of NY. Secondly, I grew up in Albany and am actually here visiting family right now and there is a ton of stuff going on here especially now. The city is really growing. So think twice before you insult areas where people call home and dont be a douche.

actually, I have lived in Albany for many years, and that was merely my experience. From the crime, littered streets, corruption in government (the politicians who run the city are thugs and bankrupting us) and lack of real restaurant/entertainment options, it's not a city for everyone, and the option of having a 30 minute train to NYC can be dealbreaker for some. Again, some have different experiences (like you), just like some people hate NYC and the westchester area surrounding NYMC.

Last edited:
Can someone give a summary of what the touro merger is, for those of us who are not as up to date.

Can someone give a summary of what the touro merger is, for those of us who are not as up to date.

Touro University bought NYMC and for the most part their other graduate and professional programs have been less than satisfactory for most.

I liked AMC much better. NYMC felt like a private boarding high school to me with all the students living in dorms across the street from the medical education building. Sure it's closer to NYC but are you really going to go there all the time?

Just to let you guys know, these kinds of threads talking about specific schools belong in School Specific Discussions. I moved it for this reason.

My apologies that I didn't post this explanation earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.