Albany Med. What does "under consideration" mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cozminator

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been told that my application is "still under consideration"? From their website, it seems like the "under consideration" pool will not be considered until they have offered all their acceptances and determined that they still have unfilled positions--at which point they'll take people from the "under consideration pool", but not before then. Or, are new interviewees ranked against earlier interviewees who have been placed in the "under consideration" pot, meaning that I am still competitive for a spot at any time from now until the end of the interview season?

Members don't see this ad.

It means you haven't been rejected, accepted, or waitlisted. Vague, isn't it?

The AdCom meets every week to discuss candidates, usually the ones that have interviewed the week before or two weeks before. The "lucky" ones hear back with positive information saying that they've been accepted, and the... "unlucky?" ones hear that they've been rejected. The rest of us are placed on a "still under consideration" list that means our applications will continue to be reviewed with every other application that's being reviewed on Wednesdays with no strings attached (ie, they don't look at your application with a negative bias because you interviewed three months ago and Joe Schmoe interviewed the day before). At least this is my impression of what they told me when I went and interviewed in the end of January.

They told me January 24th that I would hear back within 2 weeks (whether it was A/R/still under consideration)... apparently that was yesterday. I must be living in the twilight zone, because I could have sworn that that was over 8 weeks... :confused:

I'm not a big fan of the school anyway.

The AdCom meets every week to discuss candidates, usually the ones that have interviewed the week before or two weeks before. The "lucky" ones hear back with positive information saying that they've been accepted, and the... "unlucky?" ones hear that they've been rejected. The rest of us are placed on a "still under consideration" list that means our applications will continue to be reviewed with every other application that's being reviewed on Wednesdays with no strings attached (ie, they don't look at your application with a negative bias because you interviewed three months ago and Joe Schmoe interviewed the day before). At least this is my impression of what they told me when I went and interviewed in the end of January.

They told me January 24th that I would hear back within 2 weeks (whether it was A/R/still under consideration)... apparently that was yesterday. I must be living in the twilight zone, because I could have sworn that that was over 8 weeks... :confused:

I am interviewing at Albany next thursday! Can you give me some insight to why you didn't like the school or how the interview day went? THANKS!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm partially biased. I go to school at RPI which is about 10 minutes away from Albany and has a 7 year program with AMC. I wasn't a huge fan of a number of the people that are in that program (though some are very close friends and probably the only reason I'd consider attending). That aside, when we had our lunch and tour with the students, they just seemed very unhappy to be there, almost like they had settled for AMC and had a grudge against something. For me, it's important that the students enjoy themselves and aren't living in a never-ending state of depression. Even my close friends aren't happy there. I realize that med school is going to be difficult no matter where you are, but most of the other schools I've interviewed at at least have enthusiastic students (for the most part).

Other turn offs include the cost and the facilities. I wasn't too impressed with the facilities, and the fact that you dissect the cadavar for a year is just unnerving. I can't imagine the state of the body after an entire year of sitting in an anatomy lab.

It seems that every school I've interviewed at can boast that they are this or that in an X mile radius, and so many more of them just ranked higher in overall quality of experience and education than AMC. I even had a friend tell me that her cousin, who attended AMC, was discriminated against and harrassed by some faculty members.

However... that aside, if AMC were the only school I was accepted to, I would attend. Luckily, if I happen to be accepted (I think I blew the interview), I have other options available.

Don't let this influence your experience though. Everyone has their own opinions and preferences. These are just my own personal opinions, and maybe you'll have a much different experience than I did.

Good luck on the interview though!:luck:

Your explanation certainly sounds like the more logical method. It doesn't seem logical to make a decision on applicants based on how they "rank" only against their cohort of interviewees without comparing them to people in the "under consideration" pot. However, both the website and the e-mail I received suggest that people in the "under consideration" group are not considered until they've offered all the acceptances.

I'm wondering if it's possible that there are people affiliated with the admissions committee who don't know exactly how the process takes place.

I interviewed also at the end of January and they did not adhere to the "letting you know in two weeks" thing. When I called, they got very backed up this year because they had many more applicants. When I called them, they told me my status and then I just got the e-mail today--"under consideration" What this all means is that after they finish reviewing everyone's files at the end of their interview season they go back to their ranking scores...because everyone recieves a score from the adcom. Then after the interviews are over...they go back to the ranking scores and will drop the bar a little lower on the score and admit people or waitlist people above that score. With others they might just reject. Its almost like a pre-waitlist sort of things if that makes sense. I hope that helps

I interviewed also at the end of January and they did not adhere to the "letting you know in two weeks" thing. When I called, they got very backed up this year because they had many more applicants. When I called them, they told me my status and then I just got the e-mail today--"under consideration" What this all means is that after they finish reviewing everyone's files at the end of their interview season they go back to their ranking scores...because everyone recieves a score from the adcom. Then after the interviews are over...they go back to the ranking scores and will drop the bar a little lower on the score and admit people or waitlist people above that score. With others they might just reject. Its almost like a pre-waitlist sort of things if that makes sense. I hope that helps

Thebee, your explanation is very different from Scholj's. According to Scholj, people on the "under consideration" list are compared directly against the new interviewees. In other words, it's possible for the admissions committee to accept someone from the "under consideration" list over a newer interviewee.

According to you, they don't touch the "under consideration" list until they're finished interviewing (and presumably, offering all the spots they wanted to offer), and only take from the "uc" list if there are still empty spaces. A "pre-wait list", as you said.

So, which is it?

Their website, believe it or not, isn't particularly clear. It says:

"In order to manage the number of acceptances offered, the "under consideration" category is used as a temporary designation until your application is given a final designation.
As the admission season and interview process progresses (from October through April), we are able to utilize the "under consideration" category as needed.
In June, all applicants remaining in the "under consideration" category will be given final designations according to final cut-off scores. The "under consideration" category may ultimately result in an offer of acceptance, being placed on the alternate list, or not being accepted."

What I don't understand is this: how can they utilize the "uc" list as needed? Does "as needed" mean that a candidate in the "uc" list has a higher score than the best of the recent interviewees, and is offered admission over the newer interviewee? Clearly, when they say "in June, all applicants REMAINING in the 'uc' category will be given a final designation", they are indicating that 'uc' applicants are accepted prior to the end of the interview process.

i interviewed way back in early october, and got the email on friday. that's the longest two week ever, considering they told us "first week of december". i had completely forgotten that i was still waiting for a response. when i get the time i'm withdrawing though. g'luck to everyone else who is still "under consideration"!

Cozminator, you've almost got it. Under consideration does mean that you can be accepted at any time. Your application is given a certain score, and throughout the season, they lower the score required for an acceptance. The director of admissions told us that you can be placed in this category after your interview, and accepted 2-3 weeks later. However, this does not mean that you are automatically given a higher score than the more recent interviewees. Your score is based on the merits of your application and interview. It is the cut-off score that varies with time, not your individual score.

Thebee, your explanation is very different from Scholj's. According to Scholj, people on the "under consideration" list are compared directly against the new interviewees. In other words, it's possible for the admissions committee to accept someone from the "under consideration" list over a newer interviewee.

According to you, they don't touch the "under consideration" list until they're finished interviewing (and presumably, offering all the spots they wanted to offer), and only take from the "uc" list if there are still empty spaces. A "pre-wait list", as you said.

So, which is it?

Their website, believe it or not, isn't particularly clear. It says:

"In order to manage the number of acceptances offered, the "under consideration" category is used as a temporary designation until your application is given a final designation.
As the admission season and interview process progresses (from October through April), we are able to utilize the "under consideration" category as needed.
In June, all applicants remaining in the "under consideration" category will be given final designations according to final cut-off scores. The "under consideration" category may ultimately result in an offer of acceptance, being placed on the alternate list, or not being accepted."

What I don't understand is this: how can they utilize the "uc" list as needed? Does "as needed" mean that a candidate in the "uc" list has a higher score than the best of the recent interviewees, and is offered admission over the newer interviewee? Clearly, when they say "in June, all applicants REMAINING in the 'uc' category will be given a final designation", they are indicating that 'uc' applicants are accepted prior to the end of the interview process.

Hi again, I am just basing my knowledge on what I was described in the orientation meeting when I went to interview. Sorry if that only confused you, but that's just how I took to understand the process. This is my second time applying to medical schools, and I was placed under consideration by Albany two years ago and again this year. Two years ago, I wasn't told my final status until after May 15, so that's why I think of it as a "pre-waitlist". Some people I guess are told before that date and hence just after interview season, and some aren't told until later. Who knows, I could be wrong but this is how I understand it. Take from it what you like.

I recently joined the “under consideration category”, but not by my choice. I was wondering if we can call and ask where exactly we are in this group, I mean if we are close to be admitted or not? I also wanted to know how many people are in this category?

I interviewed there on the 13th, and got my acceptance today. Less than a week! It's my first acceptance, too, and I couldn't be happier :) :)

I got accepted off the "under consideration" Yesterday. Interviewed in February.