Albany Medical College vs. New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

medschool2016

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
let's hear it. for people who were deciding between the two or looked into both schools, how do you guys like them? I get a sense that Albany has a stronger sense of community and better research programs than NYMC. BUT (this sounds like a rather lame excuse I know) but NYMC is not in the middle of no where. :|

Members don't see this ad.

let's hear it. for people who were deciding between the two or looked into both schools, how do you guys like them? I get a sense that Albany has a stronger sense of community and better research programs than NYMC. BUT (this sounds like a rather lame excuse I know) but NYMC is not in the middle of no where. :|

I had a friend deciding between these two schools. My sense is they both have equal reputations, similar tuitions, and it usually comes down to location when deciding between the two. He said the NYMC campus kind of sucks and is right by a gloomy prison, but the <1 hr train ride into the city is why he chose it.

This probably belongs in the School-Specific Threads discussions.

To me, both are nothing special. I would choose the one that's cheaper.

Members don't see this ad :)
WHOA wait a second. I grew up and went to high school in albany. It is a growing city and has lots of great restaurants/bars/stuff to do now. The SUNY biotech campus is totally state of the art and they are attracting TONS of jobs and technology to the area. Albany is pretty much the only city in NY outside of NYC that actually has a positive job/cultural outlook. Syracuse/Rochester/Buff are all getting to be pretty ghosttowny....but Albany has that "up and coming" feel to it. I dont really know if you can say that about valhalla. AMC is a great hospital and as far as I know is the only lvl 1 trauma between syracuse in the west and way far out into mass on the east (perhaps boston?)......and south to poughkeepsie....and honestly I dont know where in the north...but none of the northern hospitals are big academic centers.

So dont discount AMC for being "in the middle of nowhere" because it is far from it. Valhalla isnt exactly walking distance to NYC either. My pops went to med school at NYMC and did his fellowship at AMC and he says great things about both schools...20 years ago obv...but I have friends at AMC and they say great things...so you wont lose either way.

I had a friend deciding between these two schools. My sense is they both have equal reputations, similar tuitions, and it usually comes down to location when deciding between the two. He said the NYMC campus kind of sucks and is right by a gloomy prison, but the <1 hr train ride into the city is why he chose it.

haha my mom always tells me about the nights she was home alone when my dad was out doing med school related crap...and the prison alarm would go off...:scared:

I won't pass judgement one way or the other, but I know that Touro College just bought a good chunk of NYMC (last year?), just something to think about.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=690834

Thanks for the info. I don't know too much about the difference between DO and MD (aside from the obvious). Do you think its a good thing that NYMC was bought out? Or a bad thing...that they are not making enough money or something.

And I agree that Albany is a better medical center...I just think it will be really cold there (again, I know, I am being ridiculously picky)

I have been to the Albany area and it is really rich in music culture, so if you are into jazz clubs and music, then that is the place for you. However, the medical school is really old when I passed by it, so.......

Status
Not open for further replies.