Albany medical college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PokerDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got an interview here and i actually forgot that i had applied here its been so long ago lol. What is the general feeling about this school, i have not had a chance to read too much about it. Im at work now and was hoping to get a couple of posts to read when i get home :)

Are students happy here, how well does it match and rank among other MD schools. So far ive gotten into 3 DO schools and am very happy with the one i chose but i am still leaving open the possibility of going to an MD school. But i want to make sure the school is a very good school and that i am not going to waste to a lot of travel expense and see another school just because its an MD school. So positives, negatives, anything yall have to say about albany id much appreciate it. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

oh man nothing? :(

i read a thread from 2006 from some 4th year claiming albany was at terrible school. i was hoping someone could shed some light on that or at least debunk that as ridiculous :D

Maybe people just expected more. It's a fine school academically with a few things to consider. There's a tiny library, poor wireless, high tuition, and Albany is a dreary city. Check it out for yourself and decide.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wasn't super impressed when I was there. There is no university associated with it, so they are lacking on some resources (they even admit this). For me, that means no real research, which was a huge negative. The people seemed friendly though, and if I had to go there it wouldn't have been the end of the world.

There's wireless everywhere on campus, and plenty of basic science research if you want. Clinical research is a little tougher to come across.

Okay, so the cons so far are:

-lack of any real clinical research
-high tuition (which is a wash for me cuz the DO school is over 40k as well)
-poor library
-poor surrounding area

certainly things to consider but no real deal breakers fortunately.

Okay, so the cons so far are:

-lack of any real clinical research
-high tuition (which is a wash for me cuz the DO school is over 40k as well)
-poor library
-poor surrounding area

certainly things to consider but no real deal breakers fortunately.

1. How much clinical research do those DO schools have? I'm guessing not too much, though I could be wrong.
2. You covered this.
3. How are the libraries at the other schools?
4. Where are the DO schools located?

Unless you are enamored with the osteopathic approach to medicine, you might be better off with an MD. I think it is certainly worth going to the interview and seeing for yourself.

PS: Albany is not that bad of a city.

I say go with Albany Med. There are just a few things about the school that might bother people. Other than that, it's a fine school. Unless you really love osteopathy, go with the MD degree.

Also, if you are at all into the outdoors, there are MANY things to do around Albany. Not gonna lie, I would love to go somewhere with some REAL mountains (Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio are not exactly known for their varied topography).

The library's not that bad. It's 5 floors of books, study rooms and computer labs. Plus we have online access to a bunch of additional textbooks. It's small compared to my undergraduate library, but it's bigger than a lot of school's I've been to. I think it's got everything you need.

And clinical research is not absent, just harder to be a part of, especially as a 1st year. If you're willing to put the work in to find a project, chances are you'll get one. I know a number of students who have clinical research projects lined up for this Summer. It's just that during first year we have more contact with Ph.D.s that are doing Basic Science research, so that's what you hear about and have more access to.

i will definitely go to the interview, that was never really an option i just wanted to start getting opinions right away. Im excited to see the school and am grateful for the interview.. Im going in on wednesday and definitely look forward to it!

can anyone comment on the 3rd and 4th year rotations? Are they all in albany, or can people go elsewhere? How many elective rotations do you get?

does albany send interview invites via email or snail mail or both?

Members don't see this ad :)
albany was my first ever medical school interview, and the only interview i had that resulted in a straight rejection. the school wasn't bad though; certainly not as horrible as people on sdn might make it seem.

albany was my first ever medical school interview, and the only interview i had that resulted in a straight rejection. the school wasn't bad though; certainly not as horrible as people on sdn might make it seem.

i agree, ill admit it was as aesthetically pleasing as some schools, but it had it where it counted, strong hospitals and strong academics.

the website says that the adcom score candidates the tuesday after the interview. So does that mean that I can call and see if they have scored me or wait for them to let me know by snail mail or email?

I got my interview on Thursday, and I am already getting neurotic about finding out the result of the interview, lol

Cheers
Piyush

the website says that the adcom score candidates the tuesday after the interview. So does that mean that I can call and see if they have scored me or wait for them to let me know by snail mail or email?

I got my interview on Thursday, and I am already getting neurotic about finding out the result of the interview, lol

Cheers
Piyush

My understanding is that the scores are confidential. Not confidential in the way that means they'll only tell you, but confidential in the way that means they'll never tell you.

ya ya, I know the scores are confidential, but the result cant be confidential - they have to tell if I am accepted, denied, or waitlisted , lol

chin up. i was waitlisted at AMC and accepted a few months later.

i hope to be able to follow in your footsteps

when did u interview/waitlist/get accepted?

AMC apparently takes a bunch of people from waitlist, and upto the date before orientation. So you still got a very good shot.

M interviewers did not ask me any ethical questions. Is that good or bad or neutral?

I was waitlisted in Dec and was just accepted off the waitlist today. I will be withdrawing though.

AMC apparently takes a bunch of people from waitlist, and upto the date before orientation. So you still got a very good shot.

M interviewers did not ask me any ethical questions. Is that good or bad or neutral?

luck of the draw id say, i had one guy ask me like 3 and the other guy all we did was talk about the yankees.

I was waitlisted in Dec and was just accepted off the waitlist today. I will be withdrawing though.

YOU are my hero for withdrawing, lol

luck of the draw id say, i had one guy ask me like 3 and the other guy all we did was talk about the yankees.

Its just sux to be premed and neurotic. First I was going crazy that AMC asks a lot of ethical questions, and now I am going crazy cause none of my interviewers asked me any...One way or another, this process is gonna result is lots of tears and collection agency calls...ohwell, back to worrying

YOU are my hero for withdrawing, lol

Its just sux to be premed and neurotic. First I was going crazy that AMC asks a lot of ethical questions, and now I am going crazy cause none of my interviewers asked me any...One way or another, this process is gonna result is lots of tears and collection agency calls...ohwell, back to worrying

honestly tho, dont worry about it. I think it means absolutely nothing what questions they ask you. They just score you based on the impression you left them with. Different interviewers have different method for gaining that impression. The only ethical questions I got this entire year were from that one guy at albany. Ive interviewed at 5 schools and that was it.

Anyone interview at AMC in the past week? the scoring happens tomorrow, and I am wondering if I should start praying, or if I should go and get some good karma, etc....

did anyone receive AMC hold. I did today. What does that mean and what do you think about the prospects of being on hold at this time of application cycle?

kanu, did you interview already? or is this a pre-interview hold? I dont think its the end of the line, but maybe a rushed letter of interest might peak their interest in you. However, they kinda say that they dont want letters, but I think some advices should be ignored, lol I saw the letter I sent to them in their file when I went to the school

Cheers, and good luck
Piyush

Hello Piyush,'No its a preinterview hold. I also have a pre-interview hold at Drexel. may be my non trad/older applicant is an issue. I don't know. What do you write for AMC., I mean I know nothing about the school except for the info on the website.

kanu, did you interview already? or is this a pre-interview hold? I dont think its the end of the line, but maybe a rushed letter of interest might peak their interest in you. However, they kinda say that they dont want letters, but I think some advices should be ignored, lol I saw the letter I sent to them in their file when I went to the school

Cheers, and good luck
Piyush

I would have written that I was disappointed to be put on hold, when I was looking forward to visit AMC. Also, update them about stuff that you have been doing/done since the application was sent. Also, tell them why you want to study at AMC, A good spin in the system based curriculum

Cheers
Piyush.

anyone else hear back from AMC today? I just got waitlisted there. They said that they interview 600 and give out about 300 acceptances, how the hell did I miss a one is two chance . grrr

anyone else hear back from AMC today? I just got waitlisted there. They said that they interview 600 and give out about 300 acceptances, how the hell did I miss a one is two chance . grrr

that 300 number is at the end of the road. Meaning, after everyones been interviewed, waitlisted, pulled off the waitlist, declined acceptance, another person accepted, etc.

as of now i would say probably not even 110 people have been accepted.

ah, still I get a one in two chance for interviewing there, right? Guess, I will just have to wait till they get onto the waitlist.....

WHAT?? NO one got an email from Albany today???