Albany Medical

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by prospectiveApp, Nov 28, 2002.

1. prospectiveApp

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know what Albany Med is looking for when they ask in the secondary to 'describe yourself'?

Do they want my lifeline, a personality analysis, both, or something else?

I know generally that a Q such as this is easy to answer but I am not really sure I know what they are looking for or what they mean considering much of the answer to this Q is in our primary appl.

Thanks in advance.

prospectiveApp

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. barakutha

barakutha Senior Member

pick a characteristic and run with it for those 1000 characters. I would reccommend writing about a quality which is a useful trait as a doctor (but obviously dont mention that it would make you a better doctor)

4. medman06

medman06 Junior Member

I wrote mine exactly like a personal ad. I listed my personality traits and experiences, but I also included some tongue-in-cheek humor. They must have liked it, because I have an interview there later this month.

5. BigRedStress

BigRedStress AMEX Black

i got an email saying im on "HOLD" for an interview....
    does anyone know how they have dealt with guys like me? as in, is this a nice REJECTION? or do many people get interviews??

6. BigRedStress

BigRedStress AMEX Black

bumpidy bump bump

7. Kovox

Kovox Going Places

Hola

So how did you guys find out about the Albany Status? Did you log on or did they e-mail you?

8. GuesswhozBizzak

WOW!

By fluke, and out of shear boredom I decided to check the Albany status webpage to see that all of my information was received and my application was being processed (you see, I had already called numerous times and been assured that all of my documents, letters, etc had been received by the office). When I checked the site, however, it shouwed that my MCAT scores were missing. So, I called the office again. It turns out that the scores were in my file for the past 2 months, and not entered into the computer, so my application has just been sitting there collecting dust and not being processed during this time! I know it is totally out of my hands now, and what not, but I missed 2 whole months in the application cycle, not to mention the fact that I have been checking my mail and email neurotically waiting for something from them. I'm just completely frustrated with Admissions Offices in general. Some are great (and don't get me wrong, the people who work in the offices at Albany are super sweet), but others would totally go out of business if they depended on their efficiency and effectiveness to survive. Anyway, I feel like something has been stolen from me, hence my helplessness. If you haven't heard anything as yet, or your file indicates incomplete on the computer, CALL! Just my advice.

~JZ

9. dancer7

dancer7 Senior Member

i got into albany.........

i wrote about how wonderful a person my father was and how he influenced me and taught me how to live a vituous life. By describing what he tought me I was also describing myself. he also died a while back so i talked about how i was able to deal with that. i'm not sure if this will help at, but i would be as creative as you can. they must get sick of reading a billion "i am......."

10. GuesswhozBizzak

To all those waiting to hear back from Albany about an interview...I just got an email from them notifying me that I have been selected for an interview on Feb 13th. Although it's a bit late, I'm happy nonetheless. Hope there is some good news in some of your inboxes! I was complete early Dec cause of their screw up, but seems like they flew through the rest of the processing/selection process.

~JZ

11. abw

abw Senior Member

Your hold is not a nice rejection, it's a true hold. They send rejections letters out post secondary.

12. SolidGold

SolidGold Florida winters are the best!

Attending Physician
    This is true, I'm on hold at Albany as well, but I'm really not expecting to get an invite, even though I would like to have one.