1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Albany students

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Jonathan13180, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Jonathan13180

Jonathan13180 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey-
    Im applying to Albany med for 2006, however, it is one of my top choices. Any Albany med students out there? If so, an you tell me a little bit about the school from a students perspecitve? whats the social life like? What are the students like?, and anyother information would be great. Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. paramed2premed

paramed2premed Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It's a nice little place. While some people have derided it as a "last resort" or back-up school, I have enjoyed my first year here. Here are some thoughts about AMC.

NEGATIVE: The cost. Only one negative, but it's a doozy.

POSITIVE: I would have to say my classmates are the best thing about the school. After hearing so many old and current stories about viscious student attitudes at other schools, I was pleased to find my classmates to be a pleasant bunch. It probably has to do with the mix and diversity, least of all racially. We have both the BA/MD students (young, fresh, and smart) and a mess of non-trads (second careers, married, experienced) of all sorts. Interpersonal competition doesn't seem to be a big problem.

Why is it one of your top choices?

4. Jonathan13180

Jonathan13180 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks, that helped. My father went to Albany, and so i have visited a few times, and my grandparents live near by, so i am familiar with the area, which i like. I have heard only positive things about the school, and more importantly, the people, and so overall i have gotten a pretty good sense of things, and so right now, im considering it a top choice. Thanks again.

5. BassDominator

BassDominator Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I have a good friend doing dental school in Albany. He's really happy there.... has about the same social life he had as an undergrad at University of Delaware (considered by many to be the ultimate party school). I met some of the med students at a hockey game. They seemed really down to earth. The locals seemed pretty normal to me. I grew up around NYC and went to college in upstate NY (Ithaca).... I found it really refreshing being upstate, although I missed some of the culture. It's only 2 hours from Manhattan, if you need a break.

6. bostonmed

bostonmed Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Albany students,
    On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 not necessary and 10 essential), how important is having a car? What do students do who do not have cars? Is there anything in walking distance to campus?

Thanks.

7. paramed2premed

paramed2premed Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If I lost my car tomorrow, life wouldn't be so bad. The school is near cheap housing, a gym, lots of restaurants and bars, as well as the funky part of Albany, Lark Street. If you are wicked picky about where you shop for groceries it might seem a little bothersome (the big stores are out a little ways), but otherwise its fine.