Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

albany update email

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ssd, Jan 17, 2002.

1. ssd

ssd Senior Member

got this little gem this morning confirming what my interviewer told me about being placed in the "still under consideration" pool. i guess i'll batten down the hatches for the long winter and spring months. i'm left to wonder how nice it would feel to have an acceptance in my back pocket enabling me to roll with the continual punches. i take solace in the fact that i still have a couple of interviews approaching, and haven't yet heard from mcphu.

anyone else getting this email?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. johnM

johnM Senior Member

yeah, i think today was the day when they finally figured out how to send the mass e-mail telling us all that maybe we'll have a chance... just wait another 5 months!

4. THE instiGATOR

THE instiGATOR Cow Tipper

ssd:

As a fellow second-time applicant, I'm rooting for you! I should be getting a decision from them tomorrow or Saturday. If it is a rejection, I'll have recieved rejections from two NY schools in one week (bummer). I'd better drop NYMC before they give me the axe too ;) .

Well, I've got my fingers crossed for you. Just remember that "on hold" does not equal "rejection". Good Luck!

5. ssd

ssd Senior Member

oops...

looks like i forgot to include the email text in my original post. here it goes:

"Dear Scott:

We are pleased to have had the opportunity to meet with you when you visited the Albany Medical College for an interview. We sincerely hope that you enjoyed your day and that your experiences were all favorable.

As you know, we offer immediate acceptance to a number of applicants each week during our interview season, which runs through April. We wish to advise you that although you were not among that group, your candidacy is still under consideration.

All interviewed applicants not immediately accepted are ranked on the basis of their average committee vote following their interview. (The vote and rank are confidential.) When we have finished interviewing, we will draw, in rank order, from the pool of applicants still under consideration to create a list of alternates. Any vacancies in the class will be filled with these applicants.

We will be in touch with you should your present status change. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact our office.

Sincerely,

Sara J. Kremer
    Assistant Dean for
    Admissions and Student Records"

Swampman:

thanks for the encouragement. doing this all over again definitely sucks. the only encouraging sign is that i will have had 4 interviews this year before the date of my first interview last year. judging from your response, i'm assuming that you didn't get an email from albany this morning. hopefully your impending letter is an acceptance, but it sounded like you had previously decided in favor of your state school rather than albany. are you reconsidering albany now?

6. C U in MD school

C U in MD school Senior Member

oh yeah. i got that email today too. this is one club i dont want to be part of. at first i thought that it was a rejection becasue if you read the 1st sentence it just sounds like they are about to pull the plug. i guess it's better than a rejection. yeah, its time to just sit and wait.

7. THE instiGATOR

Scott,

Your email, which I didn't receive because they've already made a decision, leads me to think that maybe my Albany letter will not be a rejection. I would assume that, unless I really pissed them off, I'd be tossed into the mix and given a low score. Hopefully it won't be bad news.

USA, which is not my state school BTW, has many good qualities. The facilities, however, are not as good as those of Albany. If money were not a factor, I would choose Albany over USA. Because it is, though, I will be filling out the appropriate financial aid paperwork if accepted.

If I am pleased with USF and am accepted, I will likely turn down an Albany acceptance.

My conversations with Albany students, unfortunately, lead me to believe that aid is pretty scarce. Perhaps I'll be able to get need-based $$$ (I doubt that it will be enough, though).

Thanks for posting the email. Just keep in mind that it is pretty difficult to get an immediate acceptance and that most people will have to be placed on a waitlist for some period of time. Schools set unusually high scores initially so that they don't overbook their classes. Don't get discouraged, man!

8. THE instiGATOR

Well, I guess I really pissed them off. :D No love for the southerner.

9. Maple

Hey Swampman,

That stinks! :( But...you've got other (better) choices and an acceptance so..you don't need them!!! :)

Personally...I don't like the way Albany fills their class..they really should be more up front with their process...I mean if they like a candidate's profile they should just offer a spot to them rather then holding out for a "better" applicant to come along! I hate to say this..since i don't buy into rankings etc..but its not like Albany is such a top school that people will die to get a spot there! :rolleyes:
    Having said that...I have to admit..I am waiting for good news from them too! :oops: I got that email too.. :( *sigh*...I guess this process is turning me into a hypocrite! oh well...it's all AMCAS's fault anyway!!! :D

Later, guys!

10. ssd

ssd Senior Member

hey swampman,

sorry to hear about albany.

i saw on another thread that you were invited to one of the virginia schools. are you going? i'll be at evms and vcu in a couple weeks. we may just run into each other again.