Albany v. Drexel v. NYMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which has better program/hospital?

• Albany

Votes: 13 14.1%
  • Drexel

Votes: 43 46.7%
  • NYMC

Votes: 36 39.1%

• Total voters

Corndog67

Second Job=Garden Gnome
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Only comparing the quality of the schools and their hospitals which would be better to attend? I already have my opinions of the areas they're in.

Members don't see this ad.

Damn, this is a hard one.

Reminds me of:

Vanilla v. Chocolate v. Strawberry

I liked many things about NYMC and I think that in many ways it has suffered from bad vibes students have about it that gets passed down from one application cycle to the next (somewhat unfairly tarnishing its reputation). I can say that I would have been very happy to go there if not for the cost of living, cost of tuition, long distance from where I am now, and negative thoughts associated with having to move to downtown NYC for M3 and M4. The facitlities are excellent (I'd almost say that the quality of their facilities rivals that of any top-tier medical school) and there are many excellent opportunities available to you no matter what you want to do if you choose to go there (I just personally think it is not for me).

Members don't see this ad :)
I liked many things about NYMC and I think that in many ways it has suffered from bad vibes students have about it that gets passed down from one application cycle to the next (somewhat unfairly tarnishing its reputation). I can say that I would have been very happy to go there if not for the cost of living, cost of tuition, long distance from where I am now, and negative thoughts associated with having to move to downtown NYC for M3 and M4. The facitlities are excellent (I'd almost say that the quality of their facilities rivals that of any top-tier medical school) and there are many excellent opportunities available to you no matter what you want to do if you choose to go there (I just personally think it is not for me).

I agree. NYMC > Drexel > Albany. NYMC has better facilitiies and match lists than the other two.

Having said that, I think all three schools are better than their reputation. Too bad they are on the east coast, where there are so many great schools like Harvard, Columbia, Hopkins, Duke, Yale, Cornell, Mt. Sinai etc. You are being compared to the best.

i've been accepted to both Drexel and NYMC, and declined to interview at Albany. Finding myself in the same circumstances as you, i've chosen Drexel.

Drexel has a pretty nice match though, in terms of getting into "competitive" specialties and university affiliated hospitals, if thats something you're looking for. over the past two years (05 &06) they've put 28 people into ortho surg, 5 into derm, 7 optho etc.

Having said that, I think all three schools are better than their reputation. Too bad they are on the east coast, where there are so many great schools like Harvard, Columbia, Hopkins, Duke, Yale, Cornell, Mt. Sinai etc. You are being compared to the best.

agreed...

also, IMO: Drexel = NYMC > Albany

Edit: repost of above. sorry:rolleyes:

Gonna echo everyone above, either NYMC or Drexel. I "chose" NYMC in the end, but I think Drexel definitely has its perks.

i interviewed at both nymc and drexel, but know very little about albany. Based on education, hospitals, and reputation, I think they're very similar. You should make this decision based on other things... you'll perform better if you're at a place where you're happy.

Funny thing is that I was leaning towards albany because all the schools seemed pretty similar, but the cost of living was lowest in Albany, and it has a smaller class size than the monstrous Drexel. Also, I didn't like how at the other two schools I might have to spend time elsewhere during the clinical years. I was just hoping for some validation by this. Obviously, I would take case western above all if I got in.

Funny thing is that I was leaning towards albany because all the schools seemed pretty similar, but the cost of living was lowest in Albany, and it has a smaller class size than the monstrous Drexel. Also, I didn't like how at the other two schools I might have to spend time elsewhere during the clinical years. I was just hoping for some validation by this. Obviously, I would take case western above all if I got in.

the cost of living near/in NYC is offset by how fun and cool it is to live near/in NYC

NYMC > Drexel >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Albany

My two best friends from undergrad are both in their first year (and dating), one at NYMC the other at Drexel. They actually both agree (even though the Drexel one loves Drexel) that NYMC gives a better education and more options...