Albany vs. Quinnipiac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YouEverHadOurSausages?

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am really torn between these two schools and was hoping for some insight, especially from current/former students. Both programs are pretty close to home for me. Quinnipiac has a nice, friendly atmosphere and was in a very quiet location (which I like). However, the clinical sites are all off site, and traffic to places like New Haven and Hartford can be ugly. It’s also a new program with less of an established reputation.

Albany is much older and more established. It is located at Albany Medical Center which is convenient, but the city of Albany itself is a dump (lived there before). AMC also has a huge sentimental pull, having had a close friend cured of cancer there. I know this shouldn’t really weigh in to my decision though. The differences in class size don’t make a huge difference to me, and it is tough to separate them academically.

Thanks for any and all insight.

Members don't see this ad.

Although AMC is more established, I would go to Quinnipiac for the P/F alone. Also, sounds like you really don't like living in Albany.

Reactions: 1 user
If it were me, I would go to AMC because its more established. But if you really didn't like the area, go to Quinnipiac.

Reactions: 1 user
From what I understand, Quinnipiac University has a very good reputation due to the history of its university as a whole, and its medical school is well established by now. If you prefer living there, I would go to Quinnipiac for that reason and that you will have no trouble with the reputation of the school. The maker or breaker here to me is whether you like the area you live in or want to have a short commute during clinical years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Traveling for all your clinical rotations is going to get very old very fast. Albany is really a very good program, and virtually all the clinicals are on-site. Even though the city of Albany kind of sucks, it has everything and there's lots of interesting stuff nearby.

Reactions: 1 users
Quinnipiac imo. They are newer, but have a great reputation that is only getting better. Most of the teachers are 100% committed to teaching, rather than research on the side. But research is still an option at Yale nearby. It's a lot nicer area to live in. Though you're going to medical school, consider that their PA program is one of the top 5 in the country (even ranked above their neighbor Yale). I think you will be happier there and get just as competitive residencies if not better. Of course wait until the financial aid packages come out to decide.

Similar question: I already have an acceptance to Quinnipiac, and just got an invite to Albany. Is it worth going to the interview? I'm from CA so it would cost a flight/hotel... I loved Quinnipiac but I also don't want to miss out on a chance to visit Albany; at the same time, I don't know which school is better so maybe it's not even worth visiting. Any thoughts?