Albany vs. Temple

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oneofthesedays

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! So I've decided that I'm only going to be able to go to one of the interviews between Albany and Temple, however, I keep going back and forth about which one to go to. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about either school one way or the other? Any advice/input is appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! So I've decided that I'm only going to be able to go to one of the interviews between Albany and Temple, however, I keep going back and forth about which one to go to. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about either school one way or the other? Any advice/input is appreciated!!!

I just interviewed/ got accepted to albany. I think it is what it is...meaning that it is a school that is not highly ranked in a small city.

I will say this though. I really loved their philosophy on medicine and professionalism.

I know nothing about Temple except location. If you already have an acceptance I say go to Temple...If you do not then I would say Albany is the better bet to get an acceptance from (only if you do very well in interviews)

It depends on your interests but if it were me I'd say Temple. Philly is a bigger city & their facilities are much better. I also liked their involvement in the community... if accepted which one do you realistically see yourself going to? Go there.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't mind Temple's location in a ghetto area (car vandalism, not safe after darkness, etc.) then Temple. Also, it's only 10 min away from nice areas in Philadelphia downtown.

Can I be the guy that reminds you: if you don't have an acceptance yet, you might want to beg, borrow, steal (kidding, conservative types) your way to both interviews??? If you do, stop reading here, follow your gut and make the choice. Actually, stop reading here.

You've put so much into applying, no doubt, the pre reqs, clinical exposure, the $$$, time, blood, that, to me, when it's time...I wouldn't turn down an interview if at all possible - IF you don't have an admit. I'd hate you to regret not going to both.

If you have an admit, then why'd ya keep reading??? :laugh:

Also, while some people might argue that Albany and Temple aren't JHU and Harvard, fair enough (for purposes of this post.) However, if you have your mind focused on a specialty, perhaps one has a really great program in that area the another doesn't. You might want to check out affiliated hospitals and just compare the brochures side by side. It's not all about the snow. :D For example, I'm bent on Anesthesia. The exposure is part and parcel of why I want to practice. While I don't expect to get into Harvard, Temple is affiliated with CHOP, which, if you read the Anesthesia forum, is a GREAT Anesthesia program. Temple 4th years get to rotate there. Great place to impress the Program Director. ;) Git it?

I know I analyze things more than most, but I've just spent too much time regretting and rethinking and replanning. I intend on doing this as best I can. And then rethinking.

Doctor 712