Albert Einstein » La Guardia vs. JFK, Public Transportation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

plutonium

Hi there,

Do any OOS AECOM interviewees have any suggestions as to the most efficient (combination of cost and time-savings, let's say) manner to reach the Jack & Pearl Resnick campus?

La Guardia is closer to the Bronx, it seems. Any ideas would be most appreciated. :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Do LGA, I flew through JFK and LGA seemed much closer.

If you're going to take public transportation, LGA is definitely faster. But you will have to change from bus to train at 125th street, middle of harlem (~90 minutes depending on time of day). If you go to JFK you can take the airtrain which is 4 bucks and subway the rest of the way (~120 minutes). Fastest way is to drive or cab ($45) from LGA (20-25 minutes).

Members don't see this ad :)
while LGA is closer..i would fly into JFK...you can easily take the airtrain and then a subway all the way up. subways run MUCH faster in the city and are therefore, more time efficient. i would take public transport..you can't go wrong with the nyc transit system, as its really reliable, and cabs are pretty expensive when we are already paying soo much for this whole process.

I just asked my bf who is at Einstein and he said cab from LGA would be ~$20 + toll. He feels given the length of travel and pain in the rear this is the best option if you can do it. Otherwise do the bus/subway option. You could also take a bus to Grand Central and subway from there. FYI cab from JFK to bronx I THINK would be metered, not the $45 flat rate (correct me if I'm wrong). But generally JFK-Bronx=PAIN IN THE BUTT.

I would say JFK is a better option, and definitely cheaper to get to the bronx because you can take the airtrain to the subway...will only cost you $7 total while a taxi from LaGuardia will cost $40+

airtrain to subway is SLOW it'll take you more htan 2 hours guaranteed. my advice? sack up and get a cab. if it's a flatrate it'll be 40 ish if you get a yellow cab it'll be 25-30 + tolls.

airtrain to subway is SLOW it'll take you more htan 2 hours guaranteed. my advice? sack up and get a cab. if it's a flatrate it'll be 40 ish if you get a yellow cab it'll be 25-30 + tolls.

Flat rate is to Manhattan ONLY. Just checked the Taxi and Limo. Commission website...it says:

Flat Fare from John F. Kennedy Airport:

The Taxi & Limousine Commission is conducting a "Flat Fare" program for trips between (to and from) the Borough of Manhattan and John F. Kennedy International Airport.

The flat fare is $45.00 plus any tolls. The meter will not be turned on and the night surcharge will not be added.

from http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml

That's yellowcab only! Call a towncar and negotiate your fare!

That's yellowcab only! Call a towncar and negotiate your fare!

They usually also have set fares to/from airports. Although you can usually talk them down 5 or 6 bucks. OP, I would take a Yellow cab from LGA to AECoM. It's the fastest way and it's not too exspensive.

Mani's Limo Service all the way!!!

Hey folks,
I am getting some mixed messages about the JFK to the Bronx via airtrain / subway route.

How long does this really take? Does anyone have actual experience doing this?

The yellow cab from LGA seems like a reasonable idea, but the airtrain sounds, you know, exotic.

Members don't see this ad :)
it's a very deceiving name, but it's not really an 'air' train like the one they have in germany and shanghai. those are maglev trains that float above ground... this is just a glorified subway. if you take public transportation from jfk to einstein, it will take you more than 2.5 hours from the time you step into the airtrain station from the time you get to the campus. i live in nyc... i've done this before.

Hey folks,
I am getting some mixed messages about the JFK to the Bronx via airtrain / subway route.

How long does this really take? Does anyone have actual experience doing this?

The yellow cab from LGA seems like a reasonable idea, but the airtrain sounds, you know, exotic.

Never done air train to the bronx, but I'd bet it's close to two hours door to door. Do LGA...

My flight for an AECOM interview is coming in at MacArthur airport. Should I change airlines? :(

I'm flying in the day of the interview and will arrive at 8:30 AM. AECOM expects me to be on campus at 11 AM. Cutting it too close?

not cutting close AT ALL!

I was supposed to arrive at 11:45am. I arrived to Penn station at 10am, took the subway (#2) to 180th St. where I transfered to the 21 bus. I arrived at the campus at 11:43am.

if you're arriving at 8:30am, however, I would anticipate rush hour traffic/crowds...

Drive down to Bronx from Baltimore the night before. Spend the night in my parent's house. Wake up early and do well on my interview.

Oh, you meant for you, oh...sorry

My flight for an AECOM interview is coming in at MacArthur airport. Should I change airlines? :(

I'm flying in the day of the interview and will arrive at 8:30 AM. AECOM expects me to be on campus at 11 AM. Cutting it too close?

Yes, you're cutting it way too close. MacArthur is out in the middle of Long Island. If your flight is delayed for even 30 minutes, you will be late...Change your airline and arrive the night before if you decide to do MacArthur.

Yes, you're cutting it way too close. MacArthur is out in the middle of Long Island. If your flight is delayed for even 30 minutes, you will be late...Change your airline and arrive the night before if you decide to do MacArthur.

I live on Long Island, and MacArthur is wayyy to far from the Bronx to make it there on time. It'll probably take you over 2 hours without traffic. Your best bet would be to come through JFK. Why? For starters:
1. It's closer to the Bronx
2. There are lots of cabs for you to choose from... so there won't be any problem with you making it there on time; but make sure you take a yellow cab, NOT a gypsy cab (because a. most of the time, gypsy cabs don't know where they are going and b. they don't know where they're going... that should be enough)
3. MacArthur is such a small airport... JFK, more flights... easy access.

Hope I could help!

Does anyone know anything about the BxM10 Express Bus?, I live in Midtown, (I'd take it from 59th and Madison), how long will it take to get to AECOM, I have to be there by 11:45. Should I leave at 11? 10?

thank you to anyone who has taken this bus, and has any advice.

Does anyone know anything about the BxM10 Express Bus?, I live in Midtown, (I'd take it from 59th and Madison), how long will it take to get to AECOM, I have to be there by 11:45. Should I leave at 11? 10?

45 minutes should be just enough time to get to aecom from midtown.

I think it took me about 30 minutes from 86 and 3rd.