Albert Einstein vs Eastern Virginia Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChemCrazy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
EVMS

Pros
- In state tuition ($60,000 loan)
-slightly more community based than Albert Einstein

Cons
-p/hp/h/f
-Norfolk would have fewer options for activities during my little free time

Albert Einstein

Pros
-p/f
- 5th year free tuition to pursue research or global health
-stronger global health
-better match list (from what I heard)
-Felt like home during interview day
-other than physically getting there, I'm all set to start in a few weeks

Cons
- Out of state tuition ($83,000 loan)
-moving to NY is a lot trickier

I don't really have any family or friends in VA, so it's not a factor for staying in VA. Is the somewhat moderate difference in ranking worth an extra $22,000 a year? That's really what it comes down to as I believe I could make either place work. I just heard from EVMS this week. I was on the middle third of their waitlist, so I doubt they would give me a scholarship to make the decision easier.

Members don't see this ad.

EVMS

Pros
- In state tuition ($60,000 loan)
-slightly more community based than Albert Einstein

Cons
-p/hp/h/f
-Norfolk would have fewer options for activities during my little free time

Albert Einstein

Pros
-p/f
- 5th year free tuition to pursue research or global health
-stronger global health
-better match list (from what I heard)
-Felt like home during interview day
-other than physically getting there, I'm all set to start in a few weeks

Cons
- Out of state tuition ($83,000 loan)
-moving to NY is a lot trickier

I don't really have any family or friends in VA, so it's not a factor for staying in VA. Is the somewhat moderate difference in ranking worth an extra $22,000 a year? That's really what it comes down to as I believe I could make either place work. I just heard from EVMS this week. I was on the middle third of their waitlist, so I doubt they would give me a scholarship to make the decision easier.
I personally hate Albert Einstein with a passion. As someone who grew up just a few blocks away, I can honestly tell you that the Bronx is a miserable, miserable place to live. The hospitals surrounding AE, are also the WORST in the borough. I would literally never check myself into Jacobi. Couple that with the $22,000 higher tuition...Hell no! Take EVMS please. You’ll be safer, get better clinical rotations, and won’t have to worry suburb paying back almost $100k extra in loans

I went to NYU, so I didn't live in the Bronx (thank god)... but with regard to research networking, NYC is by far, the best city in the country. If you plan on doing a lot of research and are interested in it, New York is advantageous... the Bronx sucks, but rent is cheaper... if you don't want to live there, you can live in a different borough and take the subway... if your Einstein podcasts, you won't have to go to campus that often. Is it worth $22k? I don't know... if you want to enter a competitive speciality and want to churn out tons of research as a med student, it would probably be easier to do at Einstein, and if you enter said specialty, $100k is ultimately not that much cash. If you want to do primary care or something of the sort, probably EVMS