Albert Einstein vs. Jefferson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shaggy alfresco

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was all set to go to Jefferson (I had another thread between OSU & Jefferson, but right now I've elimitated all choices except Jefferson and Einstein). I got a much better feeling at Jefferson and I think I'd be happier in that environment (it's a much better 'fit' for me) - things just clicked more I thought (also closer to home, which is important to me considering a member of my family is sick and I've been away from home for a bunch of years). However, I was talking to a student at Einstein and he said I'd be hurting myself in the future if I didn't go to AECOM since their match list is much better. What do you guys think? My career plans are academic medicine, but doing more clinical teaching and clinical research, rather than lab based basic science. I have no idea which specialty I want to go into, though right now I have a lean towards Neurology or Oncology (but I'm sure that'll change).

The costs are about the same (no aid from either schools, but probably a bigger chance of getting some from AECOM...but I can move back home for years 3 & 4 and save $$ if I go to Jefferson - they have the option to do many rotations right where I live).

So my question is only: assuming I work hard at both schools, will it hurt me in residency selection (e.g going to the best place in my chosen specialty, whatever it is) if I pick one school over the other?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd go to jeff, b/c prestige is not an issue for me. I wouldn't worry about either school closing doors for you, just go where you are more likely to be happy and productive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Einstein is P/F first two years. Just sayin'.

Very true, and that's a big plus. I know Jefferson has friday exams though (weeknd off after an exam!), and they have H/P/F, but it's % based, not curve, set to 90% (so you're not competing with others, everyone could theoretically get honors).

Family is hard to factor into this issue b/c, obviously, it means something different to different people.

I'm at Einstein, and to be honest after i got in here in Jan. I cancelled my interview at Jeff - so i can't really compared the two since i decided not to interview and go there.

But at Einstein you have lots of days off to go back home and visit family if you want.. all the jewish holidays plus your normal ones. Our test schedule is random but most of the time we have days off prior to our tests so the week before our tests are made up of just review classes, some case conferences and full "study" days which are completely off. I can honestly say after talking to friends at other med schools, Einstein does a REALLY good job of getting you ready for their exams in a low stress way.

I love it here and being a west coaster i wouldn't choose anywhere else, but since you're from phili i understand your dilemma. If you come to Einstein though its REALLY easy to get back home each weekend if you would like and even though you can't live at home third and fourth years our housing is super cheap so price shouldn't be that big of a factor.

Good luck on your decision, feel free to pm if you have any questions.

If you like Jefferson much better, then you should go there since you're more comfortable with it. I don't think AECOM is much more prestigious than Jefferson...if anything, I think they're on par with each other. I also wouldn't look too much into the match list.

Since the other poster talked about the schedule at AECOM, I'll make a few comments about Jeff schedule, too. Tests are generally on Friday, so you get free weekends with no studying. The only exams that aren't on Friday are exams that occur right before holidays. For instance, we had our biochem exam on Tuesday before Thanksgiving, and our break was from Tuesday - Sunday. Also, before every exam, there'll be a free study day on Thursday. You'll always have more than enough time to study for exams.

Did you go to Jefferson's second look? Did you go to AECOM's or will you go? Going to second look might help you decide and get a better feel. Good luck!

Unfortunately AECOM doesn't have a second look, but I'm talking to zebalong and getting a feel for the place. I don't think there's going to be a 'bad' choice, so it's just a matter of figuring out the best place for me. I don't think either place is really going to 'hurt' me in the long run so it's a matter of just seeing where I'm comfortable.

hi everyone, im posting for a friend who doesn't have an SDN account and she's in the same boat as the OP.
does anyone know how the curriculums at Einstein and Jefferson differ? are they organ-systems based or more traditional?

Status
Not open for further replies.