Albert Einstein Vs NJMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

berntoast

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between my state school (NJMS) and Albert Einstein. Both are extremely near Family (NJMS is a little closer), and both in my eyes are fairly even programs, so I am having a hard time deciding.

Honestly, I do not care for either school, and was really not excited about either program after interview day, but a med school is a med school. Additionally, with either school I am uprooting my significant other.

Can anyone chime in between the two schools?

NJMS

Pros
Slightly lower COA (I'm a NJ resident)
Student felt down to earth and diverse
Faculty was from the area and seemed to care.

Cons
Living in Newark ( if I want to commute I would have to buy a car)
Not close to any great research institutions, and I want to be in academic medicine

Einstein

Pros
I believe better research opportunities, but really only marginally (This is very important to me, because I want to go into clinical research)
Bigger name (sort of)
More job opportunities living in the city for my significant other
Cons

Higher COA ( only marginal as I would be living on campus and would never need a car)
Living in the Bronx ( I like green space)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Einstein because it aligns more with your goals. Also as far as Green space goes, when I visited the Einstein campus had more green space (albeit it not much) than I expected, and is flanked fairly closely to the east and west by pretty large parks, like a mile to the east and two to the west. Research at Einstein seems abundant, can't speak for NJMS though. Also it does appear Einstein is ranked fairly higher

Can anyone else speak for njms?

From a quick survey of the research opportunities at each school I don’t believe either has that high caliber of research opportunities unfortunately. But I’m not really sure. I really would like to hear from someone who know the schools maybe a little better. Einstein May be ranked higher but it’s still not like a “prestigious” institution.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

From a quick survey of the research opportunities at each school I don’t believe either has that high caliber of research opportunities unfortunately. But I’m not really sure. I really would like to hear from someone who know the schools maybe a little better. Einstein May be ranked higher but it’s still not like a “prestigious” institution.
Pretty sure one of Einstein's main draws is their research. #7(?) Top funded NIH med school. Just opened a brand new research building across from med school (genetics research focused maybe?). Offer a year off to do research with a stipend. IDK about njms though.

Reactions: 1 user

Einstein has a lot of research going on. Don't know what you mean. It is way above njms