Albert Einstein vs. VCU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty12288

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I was recently accepted to both Albert Einstein College of Medicine and VCU School of Medicine. After visiting both, I'm not really drawn to one or the other. Also, I'm OOS for both so the costs for either school would be similar.

I'm interested in entering a more competitive specialty after medical school (such as opthalmology, orthopedic surgery, or derm). Which school would better prepare for that?

I'm just looking for some opinions before I have to make a decision. Where would you guys go and why? Which has stronger academics etc.?

Thanks for your time! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Well no one has answered your response.. but as an Einstein student im biased. But I'd probably say it depends on where you want to end up. If you want to end up near VCU then go there. But Einstein probably has a more national reputation and lots of research going on. So since you said you want to match into something competitive i'd say that Einstein has the opportunities that you are looking for. I'm not sure what is going on at VCU so sorry i can't give you a comparison.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Can I add to this?

Cincinnati (accepted) vs. Wake Forest (accepted) vs. Einstein (interview Monday)?

According to USNWR they're all ranked relatively the same. Cincinnati (42), Wake (45), Einstein (41). Currently leaning towards Cincinnati due to the benefit of staying instate as those hefty private school tuition costs are a big negative. Really want to give Wake and Einstein more thought so hopefully some of you can give me more information.

Einstein's hospital is pretty rad- public facility in the Bronx = tons of experience. Their dorm situation is pretty nice too, but multiple students I met there said they would choose a cheaper school if they had the option (aka lots of west coast students).

Einstein's hospital is pretty rad- public facility in the Bronx = tons of experience. Their dorm situation is pretty nice too, but multiple students I met there said they would choose a cheaper school if they had the option (aka lots of west coast students).

I think in particular we have a lot of california students - and if you're familiar with california's medical school situation - many people would jump to stay in california at one of the UC's - not only for a cheaper price but because of the plain fact that many california people ... like to stay in california.

Our clinical hospitals here in the bronx are rad ;) Jacobi is out of control - just spending 2 hours a week there in the ED for our intro to clinical medicine I've seen they average about 2 trauma alerts or code 3 ring downs per hour... thats insane.

Montefiore is also an awesome magnet hospital with great research in all specialities.

Can I add to this?

Cincinnati (accepted) vs. Wake Forest (accepted) vs. Einstein (interview Monday)?

According to USNWR they're all ranked relatively the same. Cincinnati (42), Wake (45), Einstein (41). Currently leaning towards Cincinnati due to the benefit of staying instate as those hefty private school tuition costs are a big negative. Really want to give Wake and Einstein more thought so hopefully some of you can give me more information.

If you think you might want to stay in cinn. after med school.. and you save a lot of $$ (like over 100K) if I were in your shoes I'd definitely choose Cinn. Unless you really have an itch to explore something new or fall in love with a med school so hard that you're willing to eat quite a bit of debt - instate tuition would probably be the way to go.

Again i can't speak for any other school besides Einstein but our tuition + living expenses is actually relatively cheap - only about 10k more a year then if i had attended a UC in california (because of dirt cheap housing and not needing a car). The COA posted on the fin. aid website overshoots the necessary budget by quite a bit (900 for rent/month when the most first years pay is about 400 for a two bedroom.. scratch that health plan and get something cheaper unless you really need full dental medical and vision)

@qwerty: I'm also stuck in a similar situation as you.

Does anyone have any advice for choosing between these two schools?

Side note: my future wife Linda Costanzo teaches at VCU. You guys will understand when M1 starts.

I think Costanzo is technically retired. I don't think she lectures anymore, but she does meet with students for board prep.

I don't know if the area around Einstein is better now but I wasn't a fan when I interviewed there for med school; they had the entire area on serious lockdown. I ended up withdrawing before the end of my interview day even though it was my first interview.

I heard that the pre-clinical years are nice but the clinical years are a s*itshow and they don't allow students to take time off during rotations for interviews, as well as having two 4th year sub-is and an ICU rotation... No thanks.

I heard that the pre-clinical years are nice but the clinical years are a s*itshow and they don't allow students to take time off during rotations for interviews, as well as having two 4th year sub-is and an ICU rotation... No thanks.

This information is outdated. According to 3rd and 4th years, they now have "plenty of time off during rotations."

I don't know if the area around Einstein is better now but I wasn't a fan when I interviewed there for med school; they had the entire area on serious lockdown. I ended up withdrawing before the end of my interview day even though it was my first interview.

1 sub I no icu rotation unless you want to. 7 months of elective time during 4th year. The area around Einstein is super safe and this is coming from a person who came from a safe California suburb.

Members don't see this ad :)
This information is outdated. According to 3rd and 4th years, they now have "plenty of time off during rotations."

my friend is a m4 there and she said they weren't able to leave for interviews, so I think my info is pretty up-to-date.

1 sub I no icu rotation unless you want to. 7 months of elective time during 4th year. The area around Einstein is super safe and this is coming from a person who came from a safe California suburb.

Super safe? It's the Bronx. Anyways, I think Einstein is a pretty good school, they have good research, it just wasn't at all what I was looking for.

The neighborhood around Einstein is not too safe, and VCU has a significantly better preceptorship program in the first few years (I'm only comparing what was stated by the students).

All of the bronx is not unsafe. the area around Einstein is a safe and quiet middle class neighborhood

Yeah, that's why they have security guards that check everyone's ID when they enter the building and high fences everywhere. It might not be SUNY Downstate but it's certainly not Cornell.

Yeah, that's why they have security guards that check everyone's ID when they enter the building and high fences everywhere. It might not be SUNY Downstate but it's certainly not Cornell.

Most of the medical schools that I've been to have checked IDs at the building entrances...even ones that are in decent areas.

Most of the medical schools that I've been to have checked IDs at the building entrances...even ones that are in decent areas.

I interviewed at 22 and the only one that did was Einstein.

I've never encountered such an experience even when I interviewed in the not so great area of Atlanta.

When I came back after the tour security wouldn't even let me come upstairs to get my umbrella because interviews were over and whatever I needed they had to first contact admissions, one floor above, to ask for permission. Sounds like a dangerous neighborhood to me, I was beyond shocked.

Just because security is tight doesn't mean its a dangerous area... ask any of the girls in the class they all feel safe walking around at day or night. Einstein's main building is attached to Weiler hospital- you wouldn't want anyone to beable to just come onto the patient floors from the main Einstein entrance. Not to mention that all the research labs are right there, it is just being extra safe to have security check ID badges.

I completely respect Drizzt opinion but I am a little tired of the false rumors of the area around Einstein as being dangerous. Now that I've lived here a year and a half I find that rumor a bit laughable - but the sad thing is that some people actually do believe that Einstein is in the ghetto and that people get mugged non-stop or something. I really don't understand how good security translates into a dangerous place. If you choose not to go to Einstein for any reason thats fine I just hope it isn't because you think you'll get jumped right off the bus or something.

But in all good humor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OmjPjFN8h0&list=PL412FDDF86CDB2556&index=14&feature=plpp_video

Last edited:
I completely respect Drizzt opinion but I am a little tired of the false rumors of the area around Einstein as being dangerous. Now that I've lived here a year and a half I find that rumor a bit laughable - but the sad thing is that some people actually do believe that Einstein is in the ghetto and that people get mugged non-stop or something. I really don't understand how good security translates into a dangerous place. If you choose not to go to Einstein for any reason thats fine I just hope it isn't because you think you'll get jumped right off the bus or something.

+1

It's a great example of how the media can shape young minds though!

What's even more confusing is people say it's dangerous after visiting?! It makes me think they were at a different school. The area is completely residential and nothing shoddy goes on nearby.

The most sketchy part of the bronx is nowhere near Einstein and some parts of the bronx are actually extremely nice (einstein's area is somewhere in the middle i'd say)

I went to NYU undergrad and the security guards are extremely anal retentive. And Manhattan is extremely safe, never had any issues in four years and I walked home after 5am several days a week.

I interviewed at 22 and the only one that did was Einstein.

Of the 6 I interviewed at, 3 had guards (Einstein/Hofstra/Upstate.) Buffalo didn't and it's in a terrible area.

Of the 6 I interviewed at, 3 had guards (Einstein/Hofstra/Upstate.) Buffalo didn't and it's in a terrible area.

You guys are really over reacting on this. I've been to 11 interviews, and MOST had some form of security guard or desk.

First off, Buffalo is in the very northeastern tip of Buffalo, It is not that bad. Cross the street and you are in Amherst, which have been rated safest place in America at least 5 of the last 10 years. The North Campus (which the medical school is not a part of ) is fully isolated in Amherst and you are fine.

As for guards, SUNY Downstate, NYMC (for student parking and when you enter the building), Einstein, Upstate, Morehouse, Howard, Medical College of Georgia, Hofstra, and George Washington all had guards.

I can't remember if Cooper Had guards or not, but the actual Medical School WILL have guards, but since the school wasn't open, we met at the Hospital and Dr. McGeehan and Dr. Dayton were waiting for us at the lobby, and we did eventually get tags to wear, and I can't remember if VCU had guards or not. So, we know Cooper will, that leaves VCU as the only school that probably didn't have guards.

I have USUHS next week, and it for sure has guards, and they aren't playing by the email instruction that I got. Vermont afterwards, not sure about them. Eastern Virginia in March and finally Albany in April. EVMS is in Norforlk and I'm sure they will have guards of some sort. And I would not be surprise if Albany has them also. So the Guards issue is an overraction. Especially for Einsten, which is located in the Northeastern part of the Bronx, far from the "bad" areas of the Bronx. Quite Frankly, it is close to Westchester, New York's Most Richest County per capita.

Last thing to say, I just finished the Einstein interview, and I was talking to a fellow interviewee yesterday about her experience at Washington university. She went there as an undergrad, it is known for being the most stringent of all medical schools with their acceptances. But it is located in the second most dangerous place in America. Yale is located in New Haven, not exactly Greenwich now is it. tons of Schools located in Philadelphia (the joke is Killadelphia). Johns Hopkins is located in Baltimore, MD (Bury-More, Body-More), ever saw the Wire??? My point is, Hospitals tend to be in very populated areas, since that is where most of the people are, and where the most need is. Medical Schools, tend to be close to Hospitals, either across the street or several blocks away. Finally, a caring physician, should want to help the most people as possible, especially those in need, those underserved and without insurance. If the Northeast part of the Bronx is bad, then there is no chance people would volunteer to take a course overseas or even work there for goodwill and that is too bad.

Anyways as for the original topic. I loved VCU a lot, love the people. Very nice and seem to want to help you out, and this was from the students, all the way up to the associate dean. I loved the location, the program, the lecture halls, the new building about to open up everything. Einstein to me is closer by a mile and that counts a lot. It is a better rated school with higher GPAs and board scores. I know plenty of physicians who graduated from Einstein and they were great. The school is already de-emphasizing constant lectures and including more study groups and so forth. Housing is cheap and not bad, if you want to live on campus. They are well updated as far as technology from the lecture halls, to the paperless curriculum, to flatscreens all over the place. You really couldn't can't go wrong with either. In general, I guess look at the match rate for the last few years to see if either of the two have a reputation for matching people to your anticipated residency, but I think more important would be to wait for the financial aid package and chose the one that is most generous if you think the two schools are very close to each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.