alcohol violation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ElMediano

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so don't get too mad. I've lurked for a while and just want a definite answer. So freshman year I got written up by an RA for being intoxicated on a girls floor. I served like 12 hours or something of community service. It is documented by the dean of students office but I recently had the offense expunged from my record. Should I report this incident on the AMCAS?

Members don't see this ad.

Ok so don't get too mad. I've lurked for a while and just want a definite answer. So freshman year I got written up by an RA for being intoxicated on a girls floor. I served like 12 hours or something of community service. It is documented by the dean of students office but I recently had the offense expunged from my record. Should I report this incident on the AMCAS?

If law enforcement wasn't involved, then you might not need to.

Members don't see this ad :)
If law enforcement wasn't involved, then you might not need to.

Not... quite...

From one of my apps:

Have you ever been the subject of disciplinary action that did not result in dismissal from school or place of employment?

Community service is a form of disciplinary action, regardless of whether it is no longer part of your record. Besides, it's been 4 years. Have you been charged with anything else since then? If not, it clearly shows you didn't repeat your mistakes...

The fact that it's documented with the Dean makes me think you should, and that it might come up. If it were just with your housing director or whatever it probably wouldn't be necessary.

Not... quite...

From one of my apps:

Community service is a form of disciplinary action, regardless of whether it is no longer part of your record. Besides, it's been 4 years. Have you been charged with anything else since then? If not, it clearly shows you didn't repeat your mistakes...

It's a minor offense. It'll probably be overlooked as long as the OP doesn't go to the interviews drunk.

It's a minor offense. It'll probably be overlooked as long as the OP doesn't go to the interviews drunk.

A. Don't disclose.
Consequence A - Not found, no problem.
Consequence B - Found, punished for non-disclosure.

B. Disclose
Consequence A - Ignored, no problem.
Consequence B - Noted, time since incident noted, expungement noted, no problem.
Consequence C - Noted, talked about interview, successfully defended, no problem.

If it's not a big deal, then the OP should have no problem defending it in an interview, hence B would be easy, and it could demonstrate maturity and responsibility following a mistake.

i would call judicial affairs and ask, even though you had it expunged, if there is any documentation of your offense whatsoever. If there is i would definitely put it on AMCAS, you get a little section to explain yourself, and i would say it and get the truth out there and be able to explain the situation than have it bite me in the ass later.

I had like 1 beer in my dorm and also got written up and the documentation stays on file until 3 years after i graduate! so i just told my story and stuff through AMCAS. No biggie, i am confident it wont hurt us.

Nope, no other offenses. I guess what I really want to know is if it would show up on a CBC or if the fact that my record was expunged would raise a red flag. Even tho AMCAS wants me to put it on there even without it being on the record anymore I'm reluctant to self-incriminate myself again needlessly.

Nope, no other offenses. I guess what I really want to know is if it would show up on a CBC or if the fact that my record was expunged would raise a red flag. Even tho AMCAS wants me to put it on there even without it being on the record anymore I'm reluctant to self-incriminate myself again needlessly.

You're going to have to ask them. I had no qualms about putting my academic reprimand charge. Certainly not substances or cheating, but torrenting is still illegal v,v

I highly doubt anyone gives a crap if you drank freshman year. Its not like you were doing drugs or something.

Include it, unless you want to spend the next 6 months worrying about it.

If it was just a typical "write up" I would say dont worry about it. Its not like that stuff in some career ending "perm. record folder".

If it was a ticket from a police officer, I would hire an attorney and have it expunged from my record and then I wouldn't claim it on the app because it has been expunged. And at least here in NC thats what the expunged process is for, for students to not have there childish past brought up in an interview.

If your worried use the same service AAMC does and do a background check on yourself

Some applications have you fill it out regardless if it was expunged or not.

Underage on my 19th birthday in the dorms.... at least it will be something to talk about in the interview, assuming this doesn't prevent me from getting one in the first place.

Ok so I called Judicial affairs and read the AMCAS more thoroughly. The AMCAS says that I "must answer Yes even if the action does not appear on or has been deleted from your official transcripts" The office of judicial affairs says my conduct record is NOT part of my official transcript. There is no or ever was any indication that I did anything wrong on my transcript, it was only ever on my conduct record through the dean of students office.

Ok so I called Judicial affairs and read the AMCAS more thoroughly. The AMCAS says that I "must answer Yes even if the action does not appear on or has been deleted from your official transcripts" The office of judicial affairs says my conduct record is NOT part of my official transcript. There is no or ever was any indication that I did anything wrong on my transcript, it was only ever on my conduct record through the dean of students office.

Is this a question or a statement, because if that's what AMCAS says, it's a definite yes, you must include.

Is this a question or a statement, because if that's what AMCAS says, it's a definite yes, you must include.

It's semantics as a defense in this situation. AMCAS asks to disclose even if it was removed from the transcript. If it were never on the transcript to begin with (small offenses usually don't go on the transcript), only on the separate conduct file, and then expungement means that conduct file no longer exists, why would you have to disclose the situation?

It's semantics as a defense in this situation. AMCAS asks to disclose even if it was removed from the transcript. If it were never on the transcript to begin with (small offenses usually don't go on the transcript), only on the separate conduct file, and then expungement means that conduct file no longer exists, why would you have to disclose the situation?

:thumbup:

It's an ethics thing I suppose. If there's no record of it, then yes, you'll more than likely get away with it with no problems. But you're also lying by omission. You made a stupid mistake, and now you have to pay the consequences. Welcome to life.