Algebra based physics --> calculus based physics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Algebra or calculus based for physics 2 (after alg. based phys 1)

• algebra based

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • calculus based

Votes: 8 38.1%

• Total voters

frosted_flake

waaahmbulance attendant
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There have been threads on this before but they are from 2009 or earlier.
What is the new consensus on taking algebra based physics for part 1 and calculus based physics for part 2? The last time I took calculus was in high school and honestly I don't know how I got a B. I don't remember jack **** from calculus, as it was 4 years ago. It is the only class that fits with my schedule to graduate on time. Is this too risky? My course load other than that will be easy enough.
Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

It'll be challenging, especially if you haven't seen calc in a while. Review your limits/derivatives/integrals up until next semester starts and if you are really struggling to grasp it, you could always withdraw before class begins. IMO, I think it's completely doable with a little extra effort.

There have been threads on this before but they are from 2009 or earlier.
What is the new consensus on taking algebra based physics for part 1 and calculus based physics for part 2? The last time I took calculus was in high school and honestly I don't know how I got a B. I don't remember jack **** from calculus, as it was 4 years ago. It is the only class that fits with my schedule to graduate on time. Is this too risky? My course load other than that will be easy enough.
Thoughts?

I took calc based physics and it was actually fun. We derived all the formulas the algebra kids memorized for their exams. For Calc Physics I, the only thing we needed to know was basic derivatives and that was it. Easy.

Calc Physics II was a little tougher because we had to do slightly more difficult techniques to solve problems. But with some effort I was able to finally connect all the Electromagnetic concepts (i.e. Ampere's Law).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think calc-based physics will allow for critical thinking, perhaps algebra-physics may be challenging for some, I think it's just plug and chug.

I took the engineering physics, it wasn't that bad, I just had a hard time adjusting to as I transferred from a cc to university. it got kind of annoying when we did engineering topics like statics. Never did understand how to calculate a ladder in equilibrium, not to mention of a slipping ladder and torque was involved.

With that said, on the MCAT, it won't really matter which you take, just strive to do well in your courses.

Thank you all for your replies! I feel a lot better. I don't mind putting in the effort, I just wanted to know if it was doable or not :)

Everything is doable because somebody has done it before. It's not smart, however, to risk getting a bad grade for the sake of learning calc based physics. If you are good at calc, then by all means do it.

I'd also make a case for calc-based. I took both (algebra based in HS, calc-based fr yr college) and did not gain any intuition from the algebra-based variety. In my experience it was nothing but memorizing formulas. Calculus ties everything together so beautifully and IMO allows a much better physical intuition for the world.
Then again, I'm an engineering nerd... :)

The calculus in E&M can get tricky, but there's barely any in Mechanics.
It really doesn't matter anyway. People who pretend you cannot understand intro physics without calculus are delusional.

Reactions: 1 user