Algorithmic Understaffing is Making Our Retail Pharmacy Jobs Miserable (Please contact Emily Guendelsberger!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BackRowChi

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Of course there are other sources of misery, but so much of what is written in this article mirrors my pharmacy experience:

I plan on contacting the author (Emily Guendelsberger) to share what's happening in the pharmacy world. I hope some of you guys will do the same.

It beggars belief that it isn't more widely known how dangerous chain pharmacies are to public health. I don't have much hope that public knowledge would change anything, but as a pharmacist, I've gotten used to Sisyphean efforts.

Members don't see this ad.

There are a lot of similarities between a restaurant and a pharmacy in my opinion. Definitely fast-food maybe more specifically. However, burnout happens in everything. I wonder what the information out there is regarding careers with the highest burnout rates. I've heard a lot about physician burn out too.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Of course there are other sources of misery, but so much of what is written in this article mirrors my pharmacy experience:

I plan on contacting the author (Emily Guendelsberger) to share what's happening in the pharmacy world. I hope some of you guys will do the same.

It beggars belief that it isn't more widely known how dangerous chain pharmacies are to public health. I don't have much hope that public knowledge would change anything, but as a pharmacist, I've gotten used to Sisyphean efforts.
Imagine the day when retail pharmacists are sent home early when it's a slow day, like how they do it at fast food restaurants.

You might only realize 2/3 of your "guaranteed" hours, so that $40/hr x 24hrs per week "full time" job of yours is in reality a $40/hr x 16 hr job. Ouch.

Reactions: 1 user
The general public won't care that people making 6 figures are stressed. In fact, they probably think pharmacists deserve the stress because they make so much money.

Reactions: 8 users
Imagine the day when retail pharmacists are sent home early when it's a slow day, like how they do it at fast food restaurants.

You might only realize 2/3 of your "guaranteed" hours, so that $40/hr x 24hrs per week "full time" job of yours is in reality a $40/hr x 16 hr job. Ouch.

This is already happening in hospitals. It’s called flex staffing and the pharmacist hours per day depend on the hospital census.

Reactions: 1 user

Nothing will change until an attractive young person dies an untimely death. No old people who were half dead or poor people.