bluesTank

Zombie
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2007
College Station, TX
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Examkrackers says that alkenes and alkynes are no longer on the MCAT. I looked on the listing of subjects and it isnt on there. Alkenes is such a huge part of O. Chem that I was wondering whether it means no direct questions about alkenes specifically, or ANY type of alkene reaction. Anyone know the answer?

Thanks

Anastasis

caffeinated for safety
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
TX
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hey - Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of '04 here... :thumbup:

Alkynes and Alkenes are NOT on the approved list like you said. In all the practice tests I've seen I can't remember a question that required specific recall about an Alkene/Alkyne reaction - though you may see them on structures but the organic chemistry will deal with another functional group.

When I was studying for the MCAT I made sure I knew the fundamental reactions that involve Alkene/Alkyne chemistry (the ones hit on in EK) and I never saw a problem I did not feel comfortable attacking.

I'm curious now - I took the MCAT in April of '06. Any other posters take the MCAT since then and recall a problem that dealt with any Alkene/Alkyne chemistry?

(The organic on the MCAT might seem scary but most of it is basic first semester stuff and lab techniques).

Edit: just reread my post - it's kind of rambling... hope I answered your question somewhere in there :oops:

Shrike

Lanius examinatianus
10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2004
too far south
Status (Visible)
This has been an official AAMC party line for a couple of years. Unfortunately, it's at least arguably wrong. On January 27 I faced a passage about some sort of alkene reaction.

I'm not an o-chem guy, so I can't give specifics, but I noted quite clearly that this passage violated the stated policy.

I suppose AAMC would say it wasn't a violation, because the alkene nature was not (I'm guessing) an essential part of answering the questions -- the functional group must not have been the alkene. Or maybe not -- this is the one subject I don't get. Still, the fact remains that alkenes were, in some sense, tested, not just on one question but in a passage.

I'm sure it was just a simple oversight, like Robotuna. Or predictably overloaded servers. Or predictably inadequate site availability. Or predictably overly optimistic estimates of time until scores are reported. Or missing on-screen tools that were shown on the e-mcat site. Or registrations that turn out not to be real. Or... oh, never mind.

AAMC: gotta love 'em. Or not.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.