Alkylating Agents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TerpMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
FA says they are cell cycle nonspecific but UW says they are S phase specific. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

alk. agents bind to the ds dna (cross-linkage) and disrupt dna synthesis and/or rna transcription. The incorporation of these agents occur during the s-phase yet they can still enter G2 phase (hence non-specific) and mitosis for some but cant complete replication. In case of bleomycin, i would assume that the alkyl agent incorporated prevents it from even going into the mitosis stage. Since it stops replication at G2 phase, its under cell-cycle specific, yet also under cell-cycle non-specific since it started (incorporation) at S phase. I hope step1 is not that picky.

lol.. i jus realized i havent figured out which one to pick either.. hmm.. it would still be a guess but i would go with non-specific. (except for bleomycin even though it could screw me over cause working at G2 and also inducing free radical that break the strand)

Yeah, I think I will just stick to FA. UW also said that antimetabolites were G1 specific when I thought they were S specific so who knows what is up with the UW cell cycle pic!