All About Our Pets(Pics, Advice, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Double posting because I like showing off my dog and collecting likes

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1536586272085.jpg
    FB_IMG_1536586272085.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 64
Reactions: 6 users
Skipped morning lectures for a vet appointment for my horses that ended up taking 5 minutes :lol: not too sad about it tbh :p

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone gotten/given a really great gift for the loss of a pet? My sister's dog very suddenly died, and my niece is only 2 but is having a hard time understanding why her 'baba' isn't home. I think she'd like to see a picture of him once the wounds heal a bit.

I'm thinking a double sided photo blanket (apparently these are hard to come by?) with a cute pic of the dog + baby, and a funny pic of her dog on the reverse side. Any other ideas?

I think the blanket is a really great idea! If you have the money to spend, a cuddleclone is pretty great. I got one made of my kitty after she passed, and (although they failed on the making her dainty) think they are a great gifts for those who would like a cuddly remembrance item for a beloved pet.

Custom Stuffed Animals of Pets - 100% Premium Quality | Cuddle Clones

Photos of my cat (the photos are orange-tinged from the lighting, she was mostly grey and tan)
jasmine 2.jpg
jasmine.jpg
DSC_0757.JPG
DSC_0759.JPG

Reactions: 5 users
For those I'm not Facebook/Snapchat friends with, my husband and I adopted this guy last Friday! He's 15 months old, the rescue guessed he's a lab/terrier mix but they didn't really know, I want to do a Wisdom Panel on him at some point! We named him Davy (as in Davy Jones, because my husband is obsessed with pirates), he's so sweet and pretty well-behaved. He loves giving kisses, and playing with his crinkly stuffed alligator. He's my first dog ever (seriously, not even a family dog when I was little) so it's been fun getting to know him!Resized_20180907_165346.jpegResized_20180907_175925.jpeg

Reactions: 14 users
@LyraGardenia He's adorable! I would recommend the Embark test.
Embark is a bit more expensive, but more accurate AND tests for 162 hereditary diseases. It was created by researchers from Cornell, and collaborates with the vet school. I did it for my "found on the street" dog who turned out to be a purebred, and degenerative myelopathy carrier.

Reactions: 1 users
For those I'm not Facebook/Snapchat friends with, my husband and I adopted this guy last Friday! He's 15 months old, the rescue guessed he's a lab/terrier mix but they didn't really know, I want to do a Wisdom Panel on him at some point! We named him Davy (as in Davy Jones, because my husband is obsessed with pirates), he's so sweet and pretty well-behaved. He loves giving kisses, and playing with his crinkly stuffed alligator. He's my first dog ever (seriously, not even a family dog when I was little) so it's been fun getting to know him!View attachment 239681View attachment 239682
I love him

Has anyone gotten/given a really great gift for the loss of a pet? My sister's dog very suddenly died, and my niece is only 2 but is having a hard time understanding why her 'baba' isn't home. I think she'd like to see a picture of him once the wounds heal a bit.

I'm thinking a double sided photo blanket (apparently these are hard to come by?) with a cute pic of the dog + baby, and a funny pic of her dog on the reverse side. Any other ideas?

I do acrylic + water color portrait commissions, and a lot of my clients are people getting art of their own/friends'/babysitters' pets that have passed away. My go to gift for my mom recently has just been art of our animals :rolleyes:

In other news my first two bottle babies are going off to their new foster homes today :cryi:. I've had a bunch of foster babies before but this set I've had since they were just week old poop-covered chicken nuggets. :cryi::cryi:

5b9a1fa46895232d4da9f0b269030d93.png

Reactions: 7 users
I do acrylic + water color portrait commissions, and a lot of my clients are people getting art of their own/friends'/babysitters' pets that have passed away. My go to gift for my mom recently has just been art of our animals :rolleyes:

In other news my first two bottle babies are going off to their new foster homes today :cryi:. I've had a bunch of foster babies before but this set I've had since they were just week old poop-covered chicken nuggets. :cryi::cryi:

5b9a1fa46895232d4da9f0b269030d93.png
Omggggggg they’re precious I need them

Also your art is REALLY COOL AND GOOD

Omggggggg they’re precious I need them

Also your art is REALLY COOL AND GOOD

Thank you!! I have a gap year between undergrad and vet school so I'm taking time to just CHURN 'EM OUT because I didn't have much time for art before, and I probably won't either in the future :confused: What's your guys' free time like?

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you!! I have a gap year between undergrad and vet school so I'm taking time to just CHURN 'EM OUT because I didn't have much time for art before, and I probably won't either in the future :confused: What's your guys' free time like?

A bit off topic but VET SCHOOLS LOVE ARTISTS, like there are scholarships for students who can draw anatomy things and stuff. If you haven't already applied, be sure to use your interest & talent in art to your advantage. Hella transferable skills. They love that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've found that I have progressively less free time as I get further into school, though some of that is by choice. First year I was able to find time to write, I can't imagine being able to do that now (third year) since there's just always something that I need to be working on.

Reactions: 2 users
A bit off topic but VET SCHOOLS LOVE ARTISTS, like there are scholarships for students who can draw anatomy things and stuff. If you haven't already applied, be sure to use your interest & talent in art to your advantage. Hella transferable skills. They love that.

I just submitted my app a few days ago but that's SUPER good to hear!! I did mention it in my experiences and whatnot, and I think touched on it in my essays? :confused:

But you can find time for stuff like that for sure, if it's important to you (not to say that writing isn't important to me but it uses a little too much brain power to be one of my go to leisure activities right now). Always gotta make time for yourself :)

Reactions: 4 users
Definitely never heard of such things while I was in school, would have been nice!

Basically what WZ said. One thing we super stress from the beginning at our school is taking time for yourself. Like starting D1 at orientation camp. Obviously like study but if you're feeling burn out when it physically hurts to put more info in your brain put it away for a day maybe 2. My group of friends does weekly dinner and then one night a week I do date night with my fiance who lives with me we go out and have a good time. If I need to study for an exam though that's what I'm committed to. Free time will definitely get less as years progress for us but its finding that balance to stay rounded. Workout, eat decently, go to things that interest you.

Definitely never heard of such things while I was in school, would have been nice!
Yeah I definitely haven’t heard of them either. Can’t draw to save my life but still haven’t heard anyone ever mention them haha

It was a total coincidence that I had come across one yesterday and that's why I mentioned it--

Dr. Harvey Price and Corinne Price Scholarship for the Study of Veterinary Medicine - $5000
Established in 1999 from a bequest of Dr. Harvey Price. Given to a veterinary student who has exhibited artistic talent and abilities regarding creation of anatomical charts, diagrams and drawings to aid in the teaching, study, research and practice of veterinary medicine.

From Iowa State website :D

But you can find time for stuff like that for sure, if it's important to you (not to say that writing isn't important to me but it uses a little too much brain power to be one of my go to leisure activities right now). Always gotta make time for yourself :)
I have been very slowly painting a skyline for my brother for Christmas during this semester! I’m a second year, and it’s nice to have a couple hours a week of dedicated not vet related time!

It sometimes gets pushed on the back burner, but you know, you gotta do what you gotta do when it comes to wellness!

We got some good bonding time together in his new run, so he’s starting to actually enjoy my presence. :biglove:

BF0A8A8F-7520-458E-B22F-A2AC04A3BED0.jpeg
6DC5F777-9512-47D5-B4C3-FBB2CC43CBF9.jpeg

Reactions: 9 users
Bought Manny a new coat... I don't think he appreciates it :laugh:

Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 2.12.19 PM.png

Reactions: 7 users
My dog had a really weird mass pop up out of nowhere on her third eyelid. When they went to intubate her to remove it they found another bigger one at the base of her tongue. Both were sent to path but it’ll be 5-7 days until we hear back. I’m so worried :nailbiting:
upload_2018-10-2_12-24-59.jpeg

Just making herself comfortable.
42412619_1380497835413781_4057946652437118976_n.jpg

Reactions: 14 users
I'm contemplating taking on a young FI DSH who I took in as a stray for a "swelling" between her legs. Turns out that swelling is an inguinal hernia into which her uterus containing kittens has prolapsed into. She has pelvic fractures too but is getting around fine, but likely will not be able to deliver the kittens.

Orrrrr, I'm contemplating taking on this bonded male gpig pair as they likely will need a new home. They're kind of indefinitely med boarding right now.

I'm contemplating taking on a young FI DSH who I took in as a stray for a "swelling" between her legs. Turns out that swelling is an inguinal hernia into which her uterus containing kittens has prolapsed into. She has pelvic fractures too but is getting around fine, but likely will not be able to deliver the kittens.

Orrrrr, I'm contemplating taking on this bonded male gpig pair as they likely will need a new home. They're kind of indefinitely med boarding right now.
Take them alllllll

Reactions: 5 users
Take them alllllll

I just don't want to make a spontaneous decision I'll regret. I've also never had a cat so I'm kind of scared. That being said, I did just get a little sad when I was told a rescue may take her tomorrow. Also my bf said I should adopt her. Haha.

I just don't want to make a spontaneous decision I'll regret. I've also never had a cat so I'm kind of scared. That being said, I did just get a little sad when I was told a rescue may take her tomorrow. Also my bf said I should adopt her. Haha.

Cats can be GREAT. And they are easy to care for as pets This is coming from someone who was strictly a dog person, until this summer when I hand-reared a 2 day old kitten. I found him a home when he was old enough, but damnnit I grew so attached to him. If I could have kept him, I would! The relationship I have with a dog is so different from the one I have with a cat. Dogs are like children, cats are like roommates :laugh:

I'm firmly in the you should adopt the kitty camp, because she sounds like a hot mess and that is right up my ally :p

Maybe see if you could foster her first?

I am going to foster her. Someone "adopted" her so we can spay her and then I'll take over from there. Not a great pic but here she is. It'll let me test out this cat thing. Might need a name for her.

Attachments

• received_2430392356974258.jpeg
    received_2430392356974258.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users