All About Our Pets(Pics, Advice, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi! Adenine (Addy) came home with me today! I love her so so much. She’s incredibly food motivated and knows sit, shake, and kennel!

View attachment 240790
YAYAYAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!! So happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

She's so cute! Why haven't I gotten a billion snaps??
listen, the first day is hard and I’ve been busy! I had to drive home from OKC!
YAYAYAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!! So happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!!
thank youuuuu. She’s very sweet! She knows sit and shake, and she learned today what “go to your kennel!” means.

She’s scared of ceiling fans and squeaky toys, but LOVES other dogs and loves people
I've gotten none! :arghh:
I sent you the selfie of us! The “ ‘sup” one in the car!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I sent you the selfie of us! The “ ‘sup” one in the car!!!!
Would you believe I'm so braindead, sleep deprived, and emotionally drained that I didn't even realize it was the same dog? And have almost no memory of the picture at all, other than that I know I saw it? :laugh:

My pup, Faline and I are training to be therapy dog team via our Pets for People club! I signed her up for a training class and our evaluation is November 17th! Hope she will pass.

Attachments

• Faline Doggie Dip 1.jpg
    Faline Doggie Dip 1.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 38
Reactions: 7 users
She's gorgeous :love:

Thank you! She's such a great dog. Definitely glad I made the choice to get one. I definitely got lucky with her... very calm and easy going but loves to play at the dog park, not super destructive. And is fine sleeping all day in her crate when I'm at school and doesn't harm the cat too much. I rescued her a year ago November 16th 2017.

So about a month ago the ranchers across the road from my barn put their freshly weaned calves into the field... Diego was SO EXCITED about the calves and would spend all his time watching them. To the point where I couldn't even take him in the barn because he would get upset about missing cow-watching haha. Today they sent the calves to the feedlot and Diego is just standing and staring at the field where they were looking forlorn and it's breaking my heart :arghh::arghh: Poor boy lost his Cowflix :laugh:
IMG_0369.JPG

Reactions: 7 users
So about a month ago the ranchers across the road from my barn put their freshly weaned calves into the field... Diego was SO EXCITED about the calves and would spend all his time watching them. To the point where I couldn't even take him in the barn because he would get upset about missing cow-watching haha. Today they sent the calves to the feedlot and Diego is just standing and staring at the field where they were looking forlorn and it's breaking my heart :arghh::arghh: Poor boy lost his Cowflix :laugh:
View attachment 240873
Awwwwwww poor thing :cryi:
Looks like you need to get him some cows of his own

Awwwwwww poor thing :cryi:
Looks like you need to get him some cows of his own

I can totally use Diego’s love of cows as an excuse to get a Dexter cow right??? My mom can’t deny Diego

Reactions: 4 users
Hey people. I entered my totally awesome viking dog in a photo contest. Viking dog on viking boat. Could use some votes! Scroll down, can vote daily

Ivy the Viking

Attachments

• DSC_1157.JPG
    DSC_1157.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 42
Members don't see this ad :)
Did someone mention Corgis? (I’ll overlook that it wasn’t the better of the two...)[/QUOTE]
OMG I'm dying.
I've actually recently become obsessed with Cardigans, especially the fluffy ones :love:
Liking the black tri's a lot.

Reactions: 1 user
Food advise needed pls.
I have one fat cat, one smol but starting to get chunky cat, and one normal sized cat.
They're all fed out of one gravity feeder, and I don't have the consistent schedule to take that away from them.

Food advise needed pls.
I have one fat cat, one smol but starting to get chunky cat, and one normal sized cat.
They're all fed out of one gravity feeder, and I don't have the consistent schedule to take that away from them.
It’s going to be really hard if not almost impossible to get them all to lose weight with free feeding, no matter they’re fed :/ Metabolic is the one I’ve seen people free feed and then maybe lose weight. But restricting food in some form is going to be the only real way to get them to all be good body condition.

How inconsistent is inconsistent? They won’t be happy about it, but even if their meal schedule was something like 10/14 instead of every 12 hrs they’d adjust. I try really hard to have my guys on a 12/12, but there are many times where it ends up being more 10/14 and they’re fine.

There’s also always automatic feeders, so they get a limited ration but then you don’t have to worry about meal times.

Personally I’d try meal feedings, even if it’s inconvenient and kitties aren’t happy at first. Figuring out meal times now will be way easier than having to manage a diabetic cat :/

I'm afraid if I take them from free feeding to timed feedings, we'll be getting woken up on the weekends, or a feeding will be forgotten, or they'll take to gorging themselves on food, since there's three cats. They're well-behaved enough right now with them all taking turns to eat at their pleasure, and they mostly all graze, even the fat one. I'm going to try puzzle feeders next, because even a hanging toy with catnip hasn't fully enticed the fat one to exercise (she lays on the floor and bats it :yeahright:)

I'm afraid if I take them from free feeding to timed feedings, we'll be getting woken up on the weekends, or a feeding will be forgotten, or they'll take to gorging themselves on food, since there's three cats. They're well-behaved enough right now with them all taking turns to eat at their pleasure, and they mostly all graze, even the fat one. I'm going to try puzzle feeders next, because even a hanging toy with catnip hasn't fully enticed the fat one to exercise (she lays on the floor and bats it :yeahright:)
At least from preliminary research I've seen, puzzle feeders are great for enrichment but don't really do anything more for weight loss than calorie restriction alone, even when you're only feeding from the puzzle feeders. If you're using puzzle feeders as a way to restrict calories, great...but if all three can access the food, it's not going to be as beneficial unless they're really good about splitting it appropriately.

Either way what you really have to do is control each cat's individual intake. So if meal feeding isn't going to work, I would recommend automatic feeders...that's going to be a more expensive option with 3 cats though.

If you really don’t want to consider meal feedings, at the very least food needs to be limited. Cats usually need around 200-250 calories a day, depending on size, activity, etc. figure out whatever amount of food that is and only give that much per day. Either in puzzle toys, or some sort of common food dish like you’re currently doing.

Reactions: 1 users
If you really don’t want to consider meal feedings, at the very least food needs to be limited. Cats usually need around 200-250 calories a day, depending on size, activity, etc. figure out whatever amount of food that is and only give that much per day. Either in puzzle toys, or some sort of common food dish like you’re currently doing.
I think I will try this first. I honestly cannot imagine trying to feed these girls individually. Might also have the side benefit of my oldest cat asking for cuddles more :thinking:

I think I will try this first. I honestly cannot imagine trying to feed these girls individually. Might also have the side benefit of my oldest cat asking for cuddles more :thinking:
If that doesn’t work, even though it’s a pain, I really suggest switching to meal feedings (and increasing wet for part of or all of their food like @that redhead suggested). As someone who had a cat that became diabetic after being overweight (and not even super obese she was like a 6-7/9), I can tell you I felt really bad for not having taken more steps to correct it. She regulated easy, and eventually went into reimmission with low carb food and insulin, but some cats are harder to regulate and not all cats go into reimmission. And then they really will need meal feedings on a schedule with medication.

Not all overweight cats will become diabetic, but it is a huge predisposing factor, and it really sucks when it can be prevented :(

There's also the microchip or chip tag feeders so you can feed different amounts or types to each cat, without needing to be home. Obvs the more expensive option, but I have some clients who swear by them for multicat households.

What gets me too, and maybe someone here can help me understand, but the two oldest cats weight almost the same. Juniper weighs 12.4# and Marcy 12.2#. But Marcy looks like a bowling ball and Juniper looks like, well, a cat.
Juniper
ClarUBMqjaRdnDwkdyU-AhYBs_zsQqy7NuqsCeUlDQ2ow119npn8RQmF6ulTpd1ezLqmAGg1Y5pVTkcBWRurrPxW20NSXK-O24m1-wb2Xv-Vz3gH2y25tkL9Gh6icx4oYXbmGb5CP2Ao10er7Q3_uxSw1Pepr7JDLm-ZSiVLKPnRRGgL6N_fPndX7dHvCAC180751ZWyPxefREYIVPS9X-IZ5kqx-ql6V_ElqyALOj8XI2--r_HhTvBrX-Gl7sMk3mUufEL136HodLNKpsdyI02E9o790ZD95EqviVVUexP453pSD288Ycscf4L8mAEKeSMfmMsdocsG5YMX7eXhHED4Pv7aBfUVXKBxbp8zSOiGXjYoW89bBjQtwsFDaEoc2wNYzBeL0j6bkGVskQ6MVBQoKGqS6PSela6C6wGEjWMS7zYiHBY_xISU37_tdQ_466hgksTFPdK8-70rZ4aaKCk8QeMz2d0ZfeLlhPycJp6ngv3fxLrg2cwDNPrMZN-xHhUNoVX4Rokr1P1xKg6Brm2J1-cDeforJ7dg47RYMNflEMQTfNXzvT2KpNGC2kFvaK3EanaOcA39aZT8QWkaiuwleYt2vb-20kggvC3WFULW1I6SLmtbwkBTclrOnGQ=w1251-h939-no

Marcy
kKFvxAiGAA_p8aiegnyvLgZMae39ggj2Z41osiu45FIjoP6dsSUo2m_HiP0KTyeqoC2kgSgWx756VDGohRv2HqwbLO_2ykaoEHLS9zUS-FlPGWivXpkRhiNTeFT4qOnHC9Cz0twNNEQ7rjAWPad86Qyfb8QdTkjE3YMnyIa1M_a_ufQZcQoH8H1sEJOynvXAZzEZaz2M_aDlgMHdJiknfim8VCA5yA-JzeB2MWz4uvpJYOH3QRY_K1Pyxso64I_VM3r71Ogm9wm5AQHbr_MQSUjJZWVJ8Cc2ty-PMw4w1YOwBuDmrYfs0wbX3T60JG-HN3UCDcAHtObgItsJO-E5XXjbtgKiWzQbSrnZ7xcYSa31qmZK3N51rAKZpU2hR03er5a8GxCDl-j0N0ZoGHmKJVI2bzvSMGWakqf64P21wWhv_J-z6UZaAZ-DAW1wNO2Ar0WY7ClKRPom82P5Tt8zWw3b6er6x6AiR3WmmiUbyvgD339lUdkPah3l5Zb4UxRRPLslRxj0tN6IqoyyI9OFOuoqmT_CyMRpwra8fh_lsHAPxnOwph2ZLqiKPPsOjjeqNE2bkcme7HDseVFLgZQYLf997PWLvqs2trN96HtTRYny6a0D-pbQ26VVTWaBkDg=w1251-h939-no

Eh it’s cheaper than insulin for life plus rx food and still allows them to only get their allotted portion vs hogging all three cats food *shrugs*
Y U making sense

At almost $150 per feeder, that's nuts!
Well, I've never been accused of being sane ;)

My older girl is on special food and many medications that go in her food, plus will eat anything she can get to, so it was kind of a necessity to keep them from getting to each other's stuff. I has no regrets.

Reactions: 3 users
What gets me too, and maybe someone here can help me understand, but the two oldest cats weight almost the same. Juniper weighs 12.4# and Marcy 12.2#. But Marcy looks like a bowling ball and Juniper looks like, well, a cat.
Juniper
ClarUBMqjaRdnDwkdyU-AhYBs_zsQqy7NuqsCeUlDQ2ow119npn8RQmF6ulTpd1ezLqmAGg1Y5pVTkcBWRurrPxW20NSXK-O24m1-wb2Xv-Vz3gH2y25tkL9Gh6icx4oYXbmGb5CP2Ao10er7Q3_uxSw1Pepr7JDLm-ZSiVLKPnRRGgL6N_fPndX7dHvCAC180751ZWyPxefREYIVPS9X-IZ5kqx-ql6V_ElqyALOj8XI2--r_HhTvBrX-Gl7sMk3mUufEL136HodLNKpsdyI02E9o790ZD95EqviVVUexP453pSD288Ycscf4L8mAEKeSMfmMsdocsG5YMX7eXhHED4Pv7aBfUVXKBxbp8zSOiGXjYoW89bBjQtwsFDaEoc2wNYzBeL0j6bkGVskQ6MVBQoKGqS6PSela6C6wGEjWMS7zYiHBY_xISU37_tdQ_466hgksTFPdK8-70rZ4aaKCk8QeMz2d0ZfeLlhPycJp6ngv3fxLrg2cwDNPrMZN-xHhUNoVX4Rokr1P1xKg6Brm2J1-cDeforJ7dg47RYMNflEMQTfNXzvT2KpNGC2kFvaK3EanaOcA39aZT8QWkaiuwleYt2vb-20kggvC3WFULW1I6SLmtbwkBTclrOnGQ=w1251-h939-no

Marcy
kKFvxAiGAA_p8aiegnyvLgZMae39ggj2Z41osiu45FIjoP6dsSUo2m_HiP0KTyeqoC2kgSgWx756VDGohRv2HqwbLO_2ykaoEHLS9zUS-FlPGWivXpkRhiNTeFT4qOnHC9Cz0twNNEQ7rjAWPad86Qyfb8QdTkjE3YMnyIa1M_a_ufQZcQoH8H1sEJOynvXAZzEZaz2M_aDlgMHdJiknfim8VCA5yA-JzeB2MWz4uvpJYOH3QRY_K1Pyxso64I_VM3r71Ogm9wm5AQHbr_MQSUjJZWVJ8Cc2ty-PMw4w1YOwBuDmrYfs0wbX3T60JG-HN3UCDcAHtObgItsJO-E5XXjbtgKiWzQbSrnZ7xcYSa31qmZK3N51rAKZpU2hR03er5a8GxCDl-j0N0ZoGHmKJVI2bzvSMGWakqf64P21wWhv_J-z6UZaAZ-DAW1wNO2Ar0WY7ClKRPom82P5Tt8zWw3b6er6x6AiR3WmmiUbyvgD339lUdkPah3l5Zb4UxRRPLslRxj0tN6IqoyyI9OFOuoqmT_CyMRpwra8fh_lsHAPxnOwph2ZLqiKPPsOjjeqNE2bkcme7HDseVFLgZQYLf997PWLvqs2trN96HtTRYny6a0D-pbQ26VVTWaBkDg=w1251-h939-no
Body frame differences maybe. Is Marcy an older kitty? If she is and has some muscle wasting, she's probably carrying more fat than Juniper is as well.

Well, I've never been accused of being sane ;)

My older girl is on special food and many medications that go in her food, plus will eat anything she can get to, so it was kind of a necessity to keep them from getting to each other's stuff. I has no regrets.
I really want these but I just can’t justify them right now when the cat I need them for is separated from the kittens for most of the day to begin with... but I wants it and will probably buy it one day hahaha

Body frame differences maybe. Is Marcy an older kitty? If she is and has some muscle wasting, she's probably carrying more fat than Juniper is as well.
Marcy just turned 5 and a half, Juniper just turned 4. They’re roughly the same height, though they hate each other so there’s no good opportunity to see them up against each other

Marcy just turned 5 and a half, Juniper just turned 4. They’re roughly the same height, though they hate each other so there’s no good opportunity to see them up against each other
Btw, having to share resources can increase intercat aggression.... so one food bowl could be causing issues with this, too. Even if you don’t see them fighting over it ;)

Reactions: 1 users
My goal is to use the auto feeder as a last resort, as BF and I are of low income until he graduates in May. Once he gets back from his trip I’m gonna talk to him about switching back to feedings versus the gravity feeder (Which really was my idea because that’s what my girls were used to).

Why canned over dry food? Protein content? (It’s been forever since animal nutrition, sorry!)

Btw, having to share resources can increase intercat aggression.... so one food bowl could be causing issues with this, too. Even if you don’t see them fighting over it ;)
...WHY HAVE I NEVER CONSIDERED THIS

I thought it was just cause Juniper was a loner dingus

I thought it was just cause Juniper was a loner dingus
I mean, it could be, but having enough resources is also super important to prevent issues, if they haven’t already started. I don’t suppose they’re all also using one little box, are they? :p

My goal is to use the auto feeder as a last resort, as BF and I are of low income until he graduates in May. Once he gets back from his trip I’m gonna talk to him about switching back to feedings versus the gravity feeder (Which really was my idea because that’s what my girls were used to).

Why canned over dry food? Protein content? (It’s been forever since animal nutrition, sorry!)
Canned = more moisture + lower carbs ---> happy kidneys and skinny kitties. I've also had a lot of chronic vomiting cats that all but stop when switched to a canned diet.

Reactions: 4 users
I mean, it could be, but having enough resources is also super important to prevent issues, if they haven’t already started. I don’t suppose they’re all also using one little box, are they? :p
Look I only have one spare bathtub with the two boxes in them. THat is not changing. And it’s two large boxes for three cats, regularly cleaned out.

I have a pet safe automatic feeder with a 3 way splitter that dumps out a set amount of kibble twice a day for my three kitties. Then they each get some wet food once a day in the evening (mostly because two get daily meds hidden in there). Never been bothered in early mornings by hungry cats anymore and makes it easier to go on trips without messing up their routine too much (we just switch the feeder to three times a day and have the cat sitter do pill pockets for the two on meds).

Pretty sure we got the feeder and the splitter on Amazon. I think it was around $100 but honestly worth every penny.

Food advise needed pls.
@vetmedhead any advice regarding Cheese and his crunchies obsession? :laugh:

I just ordered a clicker (or technically it’s a set of clickers) from Amazon! I’m really interested in clicker training Adenine.

I know that at the beginning it’s basically click-treat, click- treat, click-treat. But any suggestions from moving on with that? Any clicker training tips would be greatly appreciated. I have a very Mom-loving and a very very food loving Lab-Pointer mix and I can’t always throw food at her immediately after her doing something good. :laugh: