All About Our Pets(Pics, Advice, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any chance here someone has experience with a cat that one day decided to start poop directly NEXT to the litterbox
YES. And I fixed it. But not before trying multiple sizes of litter boxes, many different types of litter (all unscented), and trying to cover all of the spots she pooped in (never worked).

Turns out my weirdo just had #2 related litter box anxiety, related all the way back to when she was rescued and got the runs from transitioning from whatever she ate as a stray to commercial cat food. I literally had to find her mid-poop, put her in the box, walk away, and then when she was done, she got so many treats and lots of positive attention. Took about a month of persistent work, but she‘s poops in the box like 95% of the time now!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Are the litter boxes different styles? Per a behaviorist on VIN, she likely likes the location, not the litter box. Anything she feels threatened by, like another cat nearby or something? Obviously I’m not a vet so I can’t really answer further questions on my own, but VIN has some great resources that I’ve looked through and that’s what I’ve gathered.
Yes, they're each a different height, shape, size, width, etc. One is the same one she had always been using fine, but she has gotten bigger so I got 2 larger plastic ones. Then I even made a "home-made" one out of a giant chewy box because it was larger than any other box I could find and I wanted to give her a not-plastic option incase she decided she hates plastic all of a sudden. She's used them all to pee, and I've tried rotating each box/litter type where her favorite "poop spot" is to see if that made a difference. The chewy box one I made worked for like 2 days and then back to pooping directly outside of the box...and she pees in literally all of them, she just won't poop in them! Haha No one menaces her (my other cat mostly tries to avoid her whenever possible. haha), and I don't think she has an issue with the location because she does always poop right next to it. I've plugged in a feliway diffuser just in case...but no luck. She's kind of an enigma...the vet was kind of stumped too. Maybe I'll peruse VIN though! :) And maybe try a behaviorist if I can't figure it out before the world returns to normal/the vets in the area aren't emergency only.

YES. And I fixed it. But not before trying multiple sizes of litter boxes, many different types of litter (all unscented), and trying to cover all of the spots she pooped in (never worked).

Turns out my weirdo just had #2 related litter box anxiety, related all the way back to when she was rescued and got the runs from transitioning from whatever she ate as a stray to commercial cat food. I literally had to find her mid-poop, put her in the box, walk away, and then when she was done, she got so many treats and lots of positive attention. Took about a month of persistent work, but she‘s poops in the box like 95% of the time now!
Thank you! That sounds very similar to her! :) I've also tried covering where she goes and using enzymatic cleaners to remove the smell. Maybe I'll just have to try and catch her in the act more often...she's a sneaky little bugger and tends to always go when I leave the room. :( I did catch her last night and gave her some treats. She's SUPER food motivated, so maybe there is hope! Haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Any recommendations on cat food that is palatable but also not garbage? My cat is being super picky, and will eat some of the science diet I got him, but only actually enjoys eating temptations treats. I thought he was just constipated, which he was, but after getting that under control he still doesn’t really want to eat. I’m not entirely against feeding him meow mix for example if he loves that and nothing else, but I figured I’d ask for good recommendations first.

Any recommendations on cat food that is palatable but also not garbage? My cat is being super picky, and will eat some of the science diet I got him, but only actually enjoys eating temptations treats. I thought he was just constipated, which he was, but after getting that under control he still doesn’t really want to eat. I’m not entirely against feeding him meow mix for example if he loves that and nothing else, but I figured I’d ask for good recommendations first.
It might just be food aversion from being constipated? You could always try other major brand, I like royal canine

It might just be food aversion from being constipated? You could always try other major brand, I like royal canine
Meaning like he was forced to eat it while constipated so he formed that association?

Meaning like he was forced to eat it while constipated so he formed that association?
Yes. Cats are really, really good at forming food aversions.

Reactions: 8 users
Thanks for the advice. Now that I’m actually responsible for an animal I forgot everything I’ve ever known about them. I’m going to try some RC and see if he likes it. Just need to figure out how ordering and shipping will work through my school’s program due to the world ending.

Might be helpful to also make sure he isn't nauseous from something, sometimes tossing a bunch of different food at a cat who doesn't want to eat for [insert fun cat reason here] just makes them develop food aversions to everything you tried.

Also, if you're trying any wet food, trying heating it up a little first so it's good and smelly - some cats are super into that :p

Reactions: 7 users
My cats go ****ing nuts for those treats. I literally think they’re drugs for cats lol. Too bad they give them the ****s :(

Reactions: 1 users

Same reason I don’t start rx diets while cats are hospitalized.

Also, not medical advice, but on the off chance you’re dealing with a chronically constipated cat, RC makes a high fiber diet that I swear by. Just for future reference if needed, hypothetically of course :)

Reactions: 2 users
Same reason I don’t start rx diets while cats are hospitalized.

Also, not medical advice, but on the off chance you’re dealing with a chronically constipated cat, RC makes a high fiber diet that I swear by. Just for future reference if needed, hypothetically of course :)
The vet I worked for also recommended that. I’ll definitely look into it and see if he likes it. The problem with this cat is that there are so many many variables with him. The fact that he had a bilateral FHO a little over 3 weeks ago is really messing with everything I’ve ever known about cats. It adds a lot of uncertainty to this. Maybe he was constipated because of the anesthesia and then pain meds stopping things up. Maybe he was hesitant to poop because of the pressure it put on his hind limbs. Maybe he wasn’t eating much because of pain. Or because of the constipation. You know what I mean? I’m hoping as he heals that a lot of this starts to go away. But I’m definitely going to start with food and see where that gets me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Might be helpful to also make sure he isn't nauseous from something, sometimes tossing a bunch of different food at a cat who doesn't want to eat for [insert fun cat reason here] just makes them develop food aversions to everything you tried.

Also, if you're trying any wet food, trying heating it up a little first so it's good and smelly - some cats are super into that :p
I’ve definitely thought of that. Especially with the constipation. He was at the vet last week and got an enema, fluids, and lactulose. His constipation is under control and as of now I don’t think he’s nauseated. No matter what he eats, he’s never vomited. I’m much better at noticing nausea in dogs, but I think he’s doing alright there. I can especially tell he doesn’t like his food because from time to time he’ll go up to it, sniff it, and do that burying motion like it’s literally poop.

I can especially tell he doesn’t like his food because from time to time he’ll go up to it, sniff it, and do that burying motion like it’s literally poop.
This doesn’t mean he doesn’t like it. Mine do this just after they’ve eaten and they have like 3 kibbles left that they’re saving for later. Sounds like he’s not all that hungry.

Thanks for the advice. Now that I’m actually responsible for an animal I forgot everything I’ve ever known about them. I’m going to try some RC and see if he likes it. Just need to figure out how ordering and shipping will work through my school’s program due to the world ending.
RC doesn’t deliver to schools so they do free shipping home iirc. You can order with your 50% off discount once a month on up to 4 food items. I think you have to contact the reps to sign up if you aren’t already, but it’s pretty easy to get started!

RC makes a high fiber diet that I swear by.
Is it an Rx one or an OTC one? My sisters cat has issues when he gets stressed (which happens significantly less now that she doesn’t have ****ty roommates that like to leave doors open :lame: ). The highest fiber OTC one I found was around 11% and it‘s the spayed/neutered appetite control, in case you weren’t aware of the OTC option. I didn’t look at the prescription options for her cat (because I didn’t want her to have to start him on something prescription unless he actually needed that and her vet didn’t tell her she needed a prescription diet) so idk what the prescription diets have as their high fiber option

This doesn’t mean he doesn’t like it. Mine do this just after they’ve eaten and they have like 3 kibbles left that they’re saving for later. Sounds like he’s not all that hungry.
Hmmmm I hadn’t thought of that. He’s a very weird eater. He’ll eat a few kibble from the bowl. Then I’ll put some in my hand and he’ll eat that. Then I’ll put some on the pillow he likes to sit on and he’ll eat that. That’s sort of the hierarchy of how he’ll eat. If he won’t eat it off the pillow, he just won’t eat it. The reason I’m worried is that he’s a 12.8 lb cat (BCS of around 5 actually) and he’s only been eating around 1/3rd cup a day. That’s even below his RER so it’s got me pretty concerned.

RC doesn’t deliver to schools so they do free shipping home iirc. You can order with your 50% off discount once a month on up to 4 food items. I think you have to contact the reps to sign up if you aren’t already, but it’s pretty easy to get started!
Thanks for the info. I actually filled out the application last night, got in touch with my rep, and placed an order like ten minutes ago! So we’ll see how this works.
I also just checked the guaranteed analysis. The CF is 4.7% for the GI fiber response cat food.

I’ve definitely thought of that. Especially with the constipation. He was at the vet last week and got an enema, fluids, and lactulose. His constipation is under control and as of now I don’t think he’s nauseated. No matter what he eats, he’s never vomited. I’m much better at noticing nausea in dogs, but I think he’s doing alright there. I can especially tell he doesn’t like his food because from time to time he’ll go up to it, sniff it, and do that burying motion like it’s literally poop.
On the other hand my cats sometimes do this when they’re hungry but nauseous
Or when jasmine is being a picky dingus haha

Hey y'all! Does anyone have any recommendations for how to moisturize my bully's nose? He's an english bulldog and his nose is terribly dry and cracked. I feel bad bc it looks awful and I can imagine it doesn't feel too good. Any advice?

Hey y'all! Does anyone have any recommendations for how to moisturize my bully's nose? He's an english bulldog and his nose is terribly dry and cracked. I feel bad bc it looks awful and I can imagine it doesn't feel too good. Any advice?

I don't know how well it works or where you get it or what it costs but I feel like nose butter is a thing I've heard of before that might help?

Vaseline works. But worth a vet visit as some weird things present on the nose.

Reactions: 3 users
Vaseline works. But worth a vet visit as some weird things present on the nose.
Agreed - def worthy of a vet visit when coronavirus weirdness is gone.

I personally recommend musher's secret to my clients if you can get it. Works really well in most of my bull-ish patients.

Reactions: 3 users
A Diego kiss to brighten your guys' days :laugh: Hope everyone's staying safe!

91438939_10158261789348189_4625927618879815680_n.jpg

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 11 users
I love this puppy so much. So far, she is everything I could ever want in a puppy. And I really don't usually like puppies much at all.

Hachi is also adjusting okay. I am trying to still do things with him individually and also give him a break from puppy when she is being bratty/annoying to him.

IMG_4902.jpg

IMG_4866.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 18 users
Happy 6th birthday to the best dog in the world!! I love you :biglove::biglove::biglove:
IMG_F0F15CC653E3-1.jpeg

IMG_ABAC511261A4-1.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
The cattitude in that last picture is REAL :laugh:
Haha yup. A rare moment of friendship in this household. Jasmine gets along with him just fine while Ziggy will occasionally still swat at him. If Ziggy is on his bed, my dog will straight up lay on the hardwood instead. In this pic though I think he was on his bed and jasmine came and lied down on it also.
Note to self: make sure cats are raised with a bit more dog exposure in the future :p

Anyone who is on my FB may have already seen some of the pictures of Cookie at the park two days ago. Amazing how things can differ from day to day. Yesterday she had an episode where she yelped and fell over and was briefly unable to stand. She recovered and had a normal evening with a brief leash walk. Today she is only able to walk with great intention-wide stance and very slowly, otherwise she falls to the left. She has accompanying left head tilt, ventral nystagmus, and at rest her head is generally unsteady. We're going to wait it out before going to the vet because there isn't really treatment available except therapeutic.
IMG_20200407_1701054.jpg

• Sad
Anyone who is on my FB may have already seen some of the pictures of Cookie at the park two days ago. Amazing how things can differ from day to day. Yesterday she had an episode where she yelped and fell over and was briefly unable to stand. She recovered and had a normal evening with a brief leash walk. Today she is only able to walk with great intention-wide stance and very slowly, otherwise she falls to the left. She has accompanying left head tilt, ventral nystagmus, and at rest her head is generally unsteady. We're going to wait it out before going to the vet because there isn't really treatment available except therapeutic.

update:
I feel like she's improving some already.
The first couple nights were rough because she just paced, nearly all night. The first night, I brought her in the bedroom with me at like 2-3 in the morning and she settled down. The second night, she just paced then in my bedroom, and I really didn't sleep at all.
Last night she was able to sleep the whole time.
Additionally, we had problems with puking on Thursday but yesterday she held everything in.
She is still swaying, tilting her head, has nystagmus, and stumbling but doesn't really fall and can do the stairs outside on her own.

Reactions: 2 users
update:
I feel like she's improving some already.
The first couple nights were rough because she just paced, nearly all night. The first night, I brought her in the bedroom with me at like 2-3 in the morning and she settled down. The second night, she just paced then in my bedroom, and I really didn't sleep at all.
Last night she was able to sleep the whole time.
Additionally, we had problems with puking on Thursday but yesterday she held everything in.
She is still swaying, tilting her head, has nystagmus, and stumbling but doesn't really fall and can do the stairs outside on her own.

Glad to hear! I typically RX an anti-nausea for my vestibular patients since I've had vertigo myself and it sucks. Hope she's back to normal soon :)

Glad to hear! I typically RX an anti-nausea for my vestibular patients since I've had vertigo myself and it sucks. Hope she's back to normal soon :)
Yeah I wanted to get an anti-nausea med from her vet but it was a week until their next available appointment :/
I emailed them videos hoping they could RX based off of that (since telemedicine regulations have been altered) but haven't heard anything so I'm guessing they won't

• Sad
Yeah I wanted to get an anti-nausea med from her vet but it was a week until their next available appointment :/
I emailed them videos hoping they could RX based off of that (since telemedicine regulations have been altered) but haven't heard anything so I'm guessing they won't

Ugh that’s too bad. Maybe they just have a lot of consults to go through and haven’t gotten to yours yet? At least they could call you back :/

Someone sent me a video of my dog exactly a year ago when she was in the shelter and it’s crazy thinking about how fat she used to be

this was in September when we got her after she had a different family from April-September:

787AC0F1-F31D-45F6-82CD-ED9DD2CB9616.jpeg

She’s on the left:
AD9BEA5C-C447-48AE-8D9E-9A992DBFAEF6.png

and this is her now:

Tried to recreate that picture and she was confused lol
062AA66C-D7E2-4FED-B3D7-9AC1E199A0A9.jpeg

on the left again:
F7F52A1A-BE88-4E97-ABFC-5DFA4B3B639A.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
I love this puppy so much. So far, she is everything I could ever want in a puppy. And I really don't usually like puppies much at all.

Hachi is also adjusting okay. I am trying to still do things with him individually and also give him a break from puppy when she is being bratty/annoying to him.

View attachment 301396

View attachment 301397
Those little white paws are too freaking adorable

Sorry for the constant spamming about my dog. Turns out his birthday, gotcha day, and his surgery were all in close proximity.
Anyways, my grey had his flexor tenotomy yesterday! Yesterday was a bit rough for him but he’s definitely acting more like himself today
CF370588-C994-4568-83AF-5FF32B39FAA3.jpeg

EACD5338-FF1D-466C-AAAE-26EBCA54E8DF.jpeg

7E2D59FB-6A45-4817-BA29-93E611BDD95D.jpeg

Last edited: