All About Our Pets(Pics, Advice, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do any of you have experience with automatic pet feeders or hangry cats? I got one for my cat because her begging has been out of control. Besides waking me up in the morning, she gets hangry and bites everything she sees (me, chairs, my laptop, wires...)

I'm hoping she'll eventually stop associating me with food. I feed her on a set schedule and don't give in to her begging, but she doesn't give up. Do automatic feeders help stop begging behaviors? Any advice?

Here's the little monster gnawing on metal, and acting innocent in a bag:

D4UV9Jmm.jpg
HJV2SJel.jpg
Hopefully you got the kind that the cat can't reach up into and get to dispense whenever she wants. I had one and my one cat figured out how to self feed, so now it sits in a closet.

I am like 100% serious here. I have a normal ball, two corn snakes (normal and reverse okeetee), a white sided black rat snake and Vietnamese blue beauty that are currently living in my spare bedroom because her bf that she just moved in with is absolutely terrified of snakes. I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up with every single one of them (just like my fourth ferret) if I don't hunt down homes for'em. I'll totes meet you in Asheville. :p

I'm OK with maybe one more snake permanently in my life, but I like to have nice big habitats and a half dozen snakes is just beyond my personal interest.
I kind of want the blue beauty, especially if it's nice.

Members don't see this ad.

Hopefully you got the kind that the cat can't reach up into and get to dispense whenever she wants. I had one and my one cat figured out how to self feed, so now it sits in a closet.

Haha I was worried about that! I got one that spins (this one) but I worry it's only a matter of time before she figures it out...

Haha I was worried about that! I got one that spins (this one) but I worry it's only a matter of time before she figures it out...
Mine are similar!
Amazon product

The only complaint I have is that one of them has gotten really loud when it rotates. Not sure what's going on with that.

Members don't see this ad :)
have any of you used collar/chip activated auto-feeders? I'm intending on blending pets with my boyfriend over Christmas break. My cats are on c/d, his don't need c/d and I don't want them to be hopping on and off food types all the time. One of my cats won't keep a collar on, but I don't really like the idea of a microchip in for something I won't use all the time.

have any of you used collar/chip activated auto-feeders? I'm intending on blending pets with my boyfriend over Christmas break. My cats are on c/d, his don't need c/d and I don't want them to be hopping on and off food types all the time. One of my cats won't keep a collar on, but I don't really like the idea of a microchip in for something I won't use all the time.
I think we chatted about those a little bit ago. I would love to have them. Might upgrade when the boy is making money. My one kitty is used to collars and the other is already microchipped, so it would work out great. I believe you can just register your pet's existing microchip with it, so it's not like you have to get an additional one.

Reactions: 1 user
You just program them to a standard microchipped to open if the pet is chipped, it's not some special microchipped just for the feeder. If you're cats aren't already microchipped, it's never a bad idea to get it done in case they ever get loose :)

I've looked at them a bit since both my cats are on special food. The only ones that didn't have lots of reviews about pets being able to paw them open were the really expensive ones---like $150+.

You just program them to a standard microchipped to open if the pet is chipped, it's not some special microchipped just for the feeder. If you're cats aren't already microchipped, it's never a bad idea to get it done in case they ever get loose :)

I've looked at them a bit since both my cats are on special food. The only ones that didn't have lots of reviews about pets being able to paw them open were the really expensive ones---like $150+.
Oh wow okay, the one I was looking at a while back definitely said something like "take the chip to the vet to have it injected..." but I think it was also a start-up that was just in the planning phase. They are already chipped, glad to see there are better options than I thought....but yeah, $$$.

Oh wow okay, the one I was looking at a while back definitely said something like "take the chip to the vet to have it injected..." but I think it was also a start-up that was just in the planning phase. They are already chipped, glad to see there are better options than I thought....but yeah, $$$.

That's so weird! You think it'd be easier for the company to make one that uses standard chips.

Here's the one I was considering:

Edit: it won't link right but it's the surefeed on amazon.

It's satisfying. Except when they use the stairs for evil. My pom can jump in and out of the bed, but almost never will jump up. She would just put her paws on the side and stare until picked up. The first night after she really had mastered the stairs and was using them of her own accord, she snuck out, pooped in the living room, and returned without waking us up :laugh:
Though I don't know why, as she's never done that again.
Ha, one of my family dogs back home (a pom-chihuahua mix) does this ALL the time, even though we all know damn well he can hop up by himself. :p He'll stand up with his paws on the bed, stare at you and whine until you pick him up--yet if he's already running around (or if you ignore him long enough), he jumps right up on his own. He's about 11 years old now, but still spry and active. We've thought about getting stairs for him and his "sister" dachshund since they're getting older, and that girl still thinks she can jump on/off things too...

Do any of you have experience with automatic pet feeders or hangry cats? I got one for my cat because her begging has been out of control ... I'm hoping she'll eventually stop associating me with food. I feed her on a set schedule and don't give in to her begging, but she doesn't give up. Do automatic feeders help stop begging behaviors? Any advice?
I purchased an automatic pet feeder about 6 months ago to provide my cat with regularly scheduled dry kibble meals, on a daily basis.

It is a two-bowl 48-hour automatic feeder, manufactured as "Cat Mate" (see below; and by the way, I am not associated with Cat Mate nor with the commercial link provided below).

https://www.chewy.com/cat-mate-c20-2-bowl-automatic-pet/dp/103147

So far, the automatic feeder has worked well and my cat recognizes that her dry kibble meals are in the two separate feeder bowls, at a certain time each day.

On the other hand, my cat occasionally vocalizes when she is "due" for her canned wet cat food - that is, if she doesn't get the canned cat food on the regular daily schedule. Otherwise, she does not meow for her meals and all is well.

Thank you.

Reactions: 1 users
My only concern is I'm not really sure I have space in my apartment. Certainly don't have anything to put a snake habitat on at the moment.
Yeah space is my thing, too. You *can* keep them in smaller spaces, for sure, and lots of snakes live long lives basically in shoe boxes... but that's just not what I want for an animal I've taken responsibility for. Glycine has a nice naturalistic set up that's on display in our living room. :)

She's nice as soon as she figures out you're not a rat. :p She's never bit anyone (something I wish I could say about my jerk) but will definitely come pretty quick when the aquarium top is opened and she's full grown so it can be a little intimidating at first. She's currently named Neela. Really pretty snake.

I think I need an SDN roadtrip! Dropping off snakes state by state like some sort of really weird Santa Claus.

Reactions: 6 users
Yeah space is my thing, too. You *can* keep them in smaller spaces, for sure, and lots of snakes live long lives basically in shoe boxes... but that's just not what I want for an animal I've taken responsibility for. Glycine has a nice naturalistic set up that's on display in our living room. :)

She's nice as soon as she figures out you're not a rat. :p She's never bit anyone (something I wish I could say about my jerk) but will definitely come pretty quick when the aquarium top is opened and she's full grown so it can be a little intimidating at first. She's currently named Neela. Really pretty snake.

I think I need an SDN roadtrip! Dropping off snakes state by state like some sort of really weird Santa Claus.
Yeah, I would love something like that. Just don't have space for it right now. But if next year comes around and I'm living in a bigger place and you still need someone to take a snake or two off your hands... :D

Please, Santa!

I have the space, I'm just getting cold feet I suppose. I don't want to make things rocky with the BF (even though he did finally tell me to "just get the snake"). I also think it's a little unfair of me to have a 24/7 heat lamp and be splitting an electric bill with my roommates. I'd have to figure that out as well.

Fellow rabbit owners, have your buns ever gone through short periods of inappetence? He'll eat his pellets and veggies (also slower than normal), but he's not into his hay right now. Sometimes I wonder if Oxbow just occasionally has bad batches of hay throughout the year. Last time he did this, I did a full workup. Only thing we found was a slightly large liver, but the resident said he's also a very large rabbit and it could be normal.

Members don't see this ad :)
This weekend was the Icelandic sheepdog rescue fundraiser.... Three days of dozens of icelandics running off leash together. And for the first time in her life, my puppy is tired. I love it and want this to happen every weekend!

ImageUploadedBySDN1476041423.282574.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
This weekend was the Icelandic sheepdog rescue fundraiser.... Three days of dozens of icelandics running off leash together. And for the first time in her life, my puppy is tired. I love it and want this to happen every weekend!

View attachment 209714

Would that be Icetoberfest? It sounds like it was a lot of fun and I'm sad I couldn't go.

Yup! It's always Columbus day weekend, in Maryland. Start planning for next year, it's a blast! Are you in the Icie facebook groups?

I'll have to see if I can manage it one of these years. It's a long drive for me though.

I'm in a couple of the facebook groups. I don't think I bothered to join any that were public though since I could already read the posts. Haha. ;)

I'll have to see if I can manage it one of these years. It's a long drive for me though.

I'm in a couple of the facebook groups. I don't think I bothered to join any that were public though since I could already read the posts. Haha. ;)

There were a bunch of canadians and people from TX there this year. Last year had a few from pacific north west. There's a whole group that comes from various midwestern/great lakes states :)

There were a bunch of canadians and people from TX there this year. Last year had a few from pacific north west. There's a whole group that comes from various midwestern/great lakes states :)

Yeah, I know at least a few people from my area headed down there. That's how I heard about it.

I was pretty close to there but I was a week early and I left my Icie at home. Whoops. :p

IMG_2308.JPG

My Isla girl on the left, & our newest foster dog Neo. His ears are always like that, with the left down and the right up. So cute!

Reactions: 5 users
Cattle dog mix for sure. Those ears though, maybe Beagle or something?
Yeah I was thinking beagle or Bassett. I think the rescue has his listed as blue heeler/hound mix. Love him!

Visual identification is an awfully inaccurate method for determining the breeds of a mixed dog ;)
Yeah, that's true. Logan is my lab mix and his DNA results didn't surprise us much, but Islas did! I always figured she was a golden mix (she's got a haircut rn so doesn't look like much of one in the above pic), but her DNA results show she has Labrador, Irish setter, cattle dog, and chow.

IMG_2285.JPG
This is Logan. Lab, rottie, boxer, pit X.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah I was thinking beagle or Bassett. I think the rescue has his listed as blue heeler/hound mix. Love him!

I think blue heeler/hound mix is a good guess based purely on his looks. What's his name and how old is he?

I think blue heeler/hound mix is a good guess based purely on his looks. What's his name and how old is he?
They named him Neo (I personally don't like the name), and he's 6-7 months old. He's much shorter than I expected him to be based on his pics. He's got a pretty long body, and not "short" legs, but shorter than they look like they're supposed to be for his body lol. i just love his ears. He's a sweet little guy.

They named him Neo (I personally don't like the name), and he's 6-7 months old. He's much shorter than I expected him to be based on his pics. He's got a pretty long body, and not "short" legs, but shorter than they look like they're supposed to be for his body lol. i just love his ears. He's a sweet little guy.

Omg I know. And honestly the pics don't do him justice. I think he's much cuter in person.

I'm a complete sucker for cattle dog mixes (purebreds too, but there are so few nice ones!). I've posted pics of my girl on here before but here she is again. Her name is Bells, I think she's blue heeler/jack russell. She's a go-everywhere kind of dog and is my running and hiking partner. She's 30 lbs and 9-10ish years old now and I can't stand the thought of her slowing down. We also have 2 useless Labradors :rolleyes:

Bells1.JPG
Bells2.JPG
Bells3.JPG

Reactions: 4 users
I'll share my dog. :D She's supposed to be a border collie mix. 44 lbs and built like a tank.

IMG_20160824_184121032.jpg

IMG_20160819_095418012.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
I'm a complete sucker for cattle dog mixes (purebreds too, but there are so few nice ones!). I've posted pics of my girl on here before but here she is again. Her name is Bells, I think she's blue heeler/jack russell. She's a go-everywhere kind of dog and is my running and hiking partner. She's 30 lbs and 9-10ish years old now and I can't stand the thought of her slowing down. We also have 2 useless Labradors :rolleyes:

View attachment 209744 View attachment 209745 View attachment 209746
Omg so stinkin cute! Gotta love the labs :p
Big dorky dingus dogs I like to call them.

Sorry to break up the pup love, but I have a good signal for a minute, so I am dumping chicken photos from the other day.

Mama hiding 9 babies:
20161007_152345.jpg
Proud papa:
20161007_153748.jpg
And 9 little fluff butts near the big red barn:
20161007_153902.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
I have that one. It took a few months, but my male cat figured out how to shove it to get more food. Frankly, as long as I don't get woken up in the morning, I don't care. Worth it's weight in gold for the sleep I don't miss now.

In other news, I am bringing my sister's Chihuahua home this weekend on trial. He doesn't get along with my nephew (surprise surprise the tiny dog hates small kids, you're all shocked I know /sarcasm) so he's been living with my parents who like him well enough but don't overly want a dog, but don't want to see him leave the family. He's a typical Chi, sweet as sugar with his family, but not fond of strangers until he warms up to them. I love the little guy and housemate likes Chihuahuas, so we're gonna see. The big sticking point is my little girl cat who is afraid of life and runs from him. The Chi is fine with cats as long as they don't run. But once they run, it's a big game of tag. Fingers crossed. I'm kind of hoping my boy cat gives the Chi a mild thrashing right off the bat to establish some boundaries...

I used to order 9lb boxes through oxbow cause it was cheap through school. Now I order though Small Pet Select on amazon. 9lb box lasts me roughly a month.

Most normal people probably get theirs through a pet store where you get like 40 or 90 Oz bags. That's literally only like 4 days for my guys because I actually free feed hay like you're supposed to. Significantly cheaper to buy in bulk vs pet store.

Do you buy the Timothy hay? Is there a cut your guys seem to prefer?

Our oxbow rep still hasn't sent out order forms, and I don't want to keep buying small oxbow bags at the store so I think I'm going to try pet select until they finally get it together. There are so many cuts and I can't figure out which one oxbow is!

Do you buy the Timothy hay? Is there a cut your guys seem to prefer?

Our oxbow rep still hasn't sent out order forms, and I don't want to keep buying small oxbow bags at the store so I think I'm going to try pet select until they finally get it together. There are so many cuts and I can't figure out which one oxbow is!

I switched back to timothy since switch g to Small Pet Select. I'd been using Oxbow orchard grass prior to then. I've been pretty happy with the 2nd cut. Sometimes it's a little stemmier than other boxes, but I feel like they eat the majority of it instead of just pulling it out and peeing on it.

I've tried the high fiber (which I think is the 1st cut) and they were not a fan. Haven't tried the softest cut yet or their orchard grass.

I switched back to timothy since switch g to Small Pet Select. I'd been using Oxbow orchard grass prior to then. I've been pretty happy with the 2nd cut. Sometimes it's a little stemmier than other boxes, but I feel like they eat the majority of it instead of just pulling it out and peeing on it.

I've tried the high fiber (which I think is the 1st cut) and they were not a fan. Haven't tried the softest cut yet or their orchard grass.

Great, thanks! It seemed like the 2nd cut was the closest to the texture of Oxbow, but I wasn't sure if not saying the cut meant oxbow was 1st haha