All About Our Pets(Pics, Advice, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Try putting a litter pan in that spot and moving the bed somewhere else?

She didn't pee in the spot when the bed wasn't there, so I think it's just the bed? And the flopping out on it afterwards is what is making me think she's marking it. She also has one of her litter boxes a few feet from it.

I've decided I'm just going to put it up on my bed. The bed is huge (it was meant for a 60# dog but the cats decided they needed it :p), but the cats already take up 75% of my queen bed at night anyway so what's a little more :laugh:

The bun does get on my bed sometimes, so hopefully she won't also pee on it up there too....

Members don't see this ad.

Grumble. The bun has decided my giant dog bed I have for the cats is for peeing on. She's never peed anywhere else but her boxes until a few weeks ago when I saw her pee on it. I washed it, and then a week ago it happened again. That time I washed it and then also soaked the carpet around it with Natures Miracle just in case there was something about that area and it wasn't the bed, (plus was already putting the NM laundry boost in when I washed it) and put it away for a week.

I literally just put it out again, and she hopped up onto it and did it again! And then flopped out on it.

I think she's marking it? I'm going to try washing it one more time but if she does it again I'll probably have to trash it.

It's really old and was my dogs that the cats commandeered, but I wish she'd stop doing it.
My bun tends to pee on comfy things as well. My dog bed also has little 'armrests' and a 'backrest' so to speak, and he loooooves backing his butt up into the walls and taking a huge pee. I just move things on my bed when he's out now. I have to block a specific cat litterbox too, because he'll jump in and use his front paws to push as much litter out as he can :nono: Yet the other litterboxes? No problems with those.

My bun tends to pee on comfy things as well. My dog bed also has little 'armrests' and a 'backrest' so to speak, and he loooooves backing his butt up into the walls and taking a huge pee. I just move things on my bed when he's out now. I have to block a specific cat litterbox too, because he'll jump in and use his front paws to push as much litter out as he can :nono: Yet the other litterboxes? No problems with those.
My cat loves to push kitty litter out of the box onto the floor as well. He also likes to steal my flipflops and try to take them into the box. It's slightly problematic for me to block him from entering all of the litterboxes in the house though...

Members don't see this ad :)
My cat loves to push kitty litter out of the box onto the floor as well. He also likes to steal my flipflops and try to take them into the box. It's slightly problematic for me to block him from entering all of the litterboxes in the house though...
Oh, it's just my rabbit that does it :) I just have to block the one he has selected to empty every day. I don't leave him unattended, like ever, because he chews everything and anything. Carpet, my mattress, everything

Reactions: 1 user

It's just this one bed for her. I don't get it! She leaves all of the other cat things alone.

Ugh, that litter this is so annoying! She doesn't do that, but one of my cats is a digger. Fun times!

IMG_3425.JPG

Side note, I went to target last night and they had pet hats. Obviously I got them for the cats.

Emy clearly loves hers :p

Reactions: 6 users
View attachment 210756

Side note, I went to target last night and they had pet hats. Obviously I got them for the cats.

Emy clearly loves hers :p
My roommate and I found the same hats in Target when we went last week. I talked her out of getting them to torture our cats with, but we did buy a jacket and a hat for the new dog.

Emy has major RBF, she was not truly as displeased as she looks :p

I may or may not be planning on making a Christmas card as a gag gift to send people with me and the cats dressed up in holiday wear. I just need to find a crazy cat lady Christmas sweater for me now.

About two months ago I took my dog to the groomer for the first time since moving. I went to a place recommended by my faculty. The place didn't do a very good job. They shaved his back extremely close and raised the top of his skirt up almost two inches higher than it was so it started just above the widest part of his chest and abdomen. They also didn't blend between his back and skirt AT ALL like is supposed to be done for a westie clip. The poorly blended hair of three awkward lengths at the widest part of him made him look a lot fatter than he was. His body looked more like a cocker spaniel than a westie. The part that made me the most upset was that the groomer at that place told me that my last groomer had done his pattern wrong, they'd 'fixed' it (read: actually screwed it up), but 'it will look better when it grows out' (so they acknowledged their groom sucked but did nothing to really fix it) when I picked him up. Ugh. In my opinion, he should look the best he's ever going to when leaving the groomer, not 8 weeks in the future.

Anyway, today, I took him to a different place and he looks so much better. He looks like a westie again and his clip actually flatters his body. They even gave him a tie instead of the silly bandanas and took his photo.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
About two months ago I took my dog to the groomer for the first time since moving. I went to a place recommended by my faculty. The place didn't do a very good job. They shaved his back extremely close and raised the top of his skirt up almost two inches higher than it was so it started just above the widest part of his chest and abdomen. They also didn't blend between his back and skirt AT ALL like is supposed to be done for a westie clip. The poorly blended hair of three awkward lengths at the widest part of him made him look a lot fatter than he was. His body looked more like a cocker spaniel than a westie. The part that made me the most upset was that the groomer at that place told me that my last groomer had done his pattern wrong, they'd 'fixed' it (read: actually screwed it up), but 'it will look better when it grows out' (so they acknowledged their groom sucked but did nothing to really fix it) when I picked him up. Ugh. In my opinion, he should look the best he's ever going to when leaving the groomer, not 8 weeks in the future.

Anyway, today, I took him to a different place and he looks so much better. He looks like a westie again and his clip actually flatters his body. They even gave him a tie instead of the silly bandanas and took his photo.
omg model pup!

Grooming is a dying art, imo. It's hard to find someone who is truly, truly skilled. I've never had anything but respect for groomers, there's a lot of pressure that goes with the job.

My 6yr old little mutt has hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and mitral valve prolapse that she's monitored by cardiology for, but she's also an atypical Cushing's case on Trilostane that sees an internist and a frequent pancreatitis case for the criticalist. She acts fine but she's hypertensive despite her beta blocker and she's got persistent proteinuria with a negative culture. Can't treat kidney disease with her heart, would be the end of the line for her. She's my husband's heart and soul even though we've only had her for two years, no idea what I'll do if she starts to act ill or worse passes when he's deployed. Waiting on a current UPC then back to specialty for another echo and decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Grumble. The bun has decided my giant dog bed I have for the cats is for peeing on. She's never peed anywhere else but her boxes until a few weeks ago when I saw her pee on it. I washed it, and then a week ago it happened again. That time I washed it and then also soaked the carpet around it with Natures Miracle just in case there was something about that area and it wasn't the bed, (plus was already putting the NM laundry boost in when I washed it) and put it away for a week.

I literally just put it out again, and she hopped up onto it and did it again! And then flopped out on it.

I think she's marking it? I'm going to try washing it one more time but if she does it again I'll probably have to trash it.

It's really old and was my dogs that the cats commandeered, but I wish she'd stop doing it.

Our bun has decided one specific part of the couch is excellent for peeing. He's generally a great bun, but he's gotten really bad. It might be a dominance thing because the dog sleeps there sometimes.

Members don't see this ad :)
My 6yr old little mutt has hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and mitral valve prolapse that she's monitored by cardiology for, but she's also an atypical Cushing's case on Trilostane that sees an internist and a frequent pancreatitis case for the criticalist. She acts fine but she's hypertensive despite her beta blocker and she's got persistent proteinuria with a negative culture. Can't treat kidney disease with her heart, would be the end of the line for her. She's my husband's heart and soul even though we've only had her for two years, no idea what I'll do if she starts to act ill or worse passes when he's deployed. Waiting on a current UPC then back to specialty for another echo and decisions.

Is pimobendan at least an option for the mitral? That's what my pup is on for hers, word is it can delay CHF quite a bit.

Our bun has decided one specific part of the couch is excellent for peeing. He's generally a great bun, but he's gotten really bad. It might be a dominance thing because the dog sleeps there sometimes.

Huh, I wonder if that's why Sparks does it, too.

It definitely smells like the cats, and probably our dog as well.

I moved the bed and she's back to totally ignoring that spot again. Hopefully she doesn't find it on my bed...

He looks pleased! Silly wiggle butt!

Is pimobendan at least an option for the mitral? That's what my pup is on for hers, word is it can delay CHF quite a bit.
I'd be really interested to hear what cardio thinks, but my guess is that they would not put a dog with hcm on pimo because in theory a positive inotrope will wear out the heart faster. there have been some crummy retrospectives looking at cats receiving pimo with hcm in chf that it sounds like have left the clinical folks still on the fence. theres thought that maybe cats are doing different things with the drug, because the metabolite wasnt found in serum, but drug levels were 10x higher in cats than dogs, and that would in theory sound like it would wear a heart out faster...but idk. the EPIC study showed that pimo in MMVD dogs pre CHF was certainly very beneficial, but hcm is so rare in dogs (was not included in the paper - there is a 2005 paper of dogs who developed ventricular hypertrophy while on pimo and the pimo was potentially a contributor/cause)

ImageUploadedBySDN1479034446.702136.jpg

Nope, no Pimo + Atenelol per her cardiologist, for the reasons Jmo1012 brought up. She was in full failure with fluid in both lungs when we adopted her but she's relatively steady now. HR and RR good, rads terrifying but good as they can be no fluid, no cough except when she starts to chase squirrels.

Considering Enalapril if the protein is truly renal, but she wants to repeat echo because we may have to change her Atenelol too or it may not be an option for her if things have changed.

She's almost a year out from the Cushings diagnosis and in my head I knew these complications would be coming, I just wish she was older.

Okay y'all. My arsehole of a cat has started playing in her water. Which wouldn't be a problem except she makes it her solemn duty to dump every single bowl I set out for her. Again, not a problem unless I leave for the weekend, which I do fairly often.

Big bowls, small bowls, multiple bowls, doesn't matter she dumps them all. And I never see her do it, so I can't immediately redirect her behavior in a positive way.

Help?

Okay y'all. My arsehole of a cat has started playing in her water. Which wouldn't be a problem except she makes it her solemn duty to dump every single bowl I set out for her. Again, not a problem unless I leave for the weekend, which I do fairly often.

Big bowls, small bowls, multiple bowls, doesn't matter she dumps them all. And I never see her do it, so I can't immediately redirect her behavior in a positive way.

Help?
Probably a stupid response, but have you tried tip resistant bowls? Or even the automatic water bowls with the reservoir bottle would hopefully be less likely to tip.

Help?
ETA: Sorry, I don't know why my links won't work, but I just searched Amazon for "no spill bowl for cats", I found one called the Neater Feeder Deluxe, or the URPOWER bowls with no spill non-skid silicone mat. I have no experience with either, but they look like they might help!

Help?

Along the same lines as jilary and Lyra, do you use crock water bowls? I've found they're usually heavy enough to prevent being tipped over.

Probably a stupid response, but have you tried tip resistant bowls? Or even the automatic water bowls with the reservoir bottle would hopefully be less likely to tip.
I've used reservoir bottles before, it just got really nasty fast, so I switched to standard bowls.

ETA: Sorry, I don't know why my links won't work, but I just searched Amazon for "no spill bowl for cats", I found one called the Neater Feeder Deluxe, or the URPOWER bowls with no spill non-skid silicone mat. I have no experience with either, but they look like they might help!
Along the same lines as jilary and Lyra, do you use crock water bowls? I've found they're usually heavy enough to prevent being tipped over.
It's a really recent issue, so I've been looking at both fountains online and heavier bowls. I think part of the issue too is that she's become bored with all of her toys, so she's started playing with the sparkling water. So I think I have to find new enrichment for her. Which will be a difficult journey I feel.

Help?
What about those metal stands where you can rest a metal bowl inside it? My cat is notorious for trying to cover up his bowls, which always knocks them over, but the metal stand stops it.

I'm in talks with my dad to construct a bigger rabbit habitat - something that will be aesthetically pleasing for me and functional for the rabbits.

Right now I have my rabbits' cage surrounded by an X pen so they have room to play and run a little. It's not ideal. It's messier than I'd like it to be and soon, they're getting move to the dining room which necessitates a different cage configuration.

14925633_10108390435352215_3543599158356674051_n.jpg

What I'd like to do is construct a 2x6 platform to put the X pen on. I can put it on castors, tile in the part where the rabbits will be, and paint the rest. I can also make a top for part of it so it can function as a buffet/sideboard in the dining room.

Similar to this set up I pulled off of Pinterest, but with a tiled floor and a partial finished top.
aacc9f16d952add11dae7a1cae3c4313.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Have any of you smart people dealt with coccidia in a rabbit? I was told it doesn't need to be treated unless he's having diarrhea (which he's not), but I'd like to hear from anyone else who may have seen this before. He's been off for about 2 months now, so I'm desperately hoping this could be it. Rads normal, PE normal, teeth normal. Repeating bloodwork is next, but I found moderate coccidia on his fecal during lab (yay free fecal!).

I'm in talks with my dad to construct a bigger rabbit habitat - something that will be aesthetically pleasing for me and functional for the rabbits.

Right now I have my rabbits' cage surrounded by an X pen so they have room to play and run a little. It's not ideal. It's messier than I'd like it to be and soon, they're getting move to the dining room which necessitates a different cage configuration.

View attachment 210857

What I'd like to do is construct a 2x6 platform to put the X pen on. I can put it on castors, tile in the part where the rabbits will be, and paint the rest. I can also make a top for part of it so it can function as a buffet/sideboard in the dining room.

Similar to this set up I pulled off of Pinterest, but with a tiled floor and a partial finished top.
View attachment 210853

You could do a large C& C type cage. This is my guinea pig set up. You'd just have to double stack the grids or something so they can't jump out. Mine's pretty basic, but some people on the GP forums get crazy about designing variations of these.
upload_2016-11-16_23-11-8.png

Reactions: 1 users

View attachment 210857

View attachment 210853
My rabbit is in something similar, it's just not raised.

I bought a dog pen, plywood the size I wanted, and cheap tile. I have a wooden frame around it all to keep the pen in the right shape. I also have a layer of artificial turf under everything to protect my floors. Whole thing cost about $130 and was easy to do! His cage is about 4'x4'. I tried multiple levels but he gkept falling off, lol. I actually ended up making two-one for school and one for my parents' house.

The only problem I've ran into is that he's starting to get pododermatitis from the tile after being on it for a year. I'm trying to figure out how to give him a mattress pad he won't eat. I really don't want to increase my bedding budget to fill his huge cage (and I think his litter training would go out the window). Just an aside, I'd keep your buns off that cage's wire bottom somehow...the pressure points they develop from those happen quickly.

I did C+C for my gpig and liked it a lot, I elected not to do it in my rabbit because I knew he'd spook or get excited and tear it down. Those aren't always the sturdiest, but I don't know how crazy your rabbits are.

24odsg3.jpg

Ignore his dramatic sleep position, lol. Not the best picture, but you get the idea.

20161118_203518.jpg
Um, we have baby Cory Cats. I've seen the eggs a lot, but somehow never thought they would hatch. We have a pile of Java moss and there are a couple hiding in there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for the support y'all. I loved Jackson, but you know, death happens. I'll get another fish in the spring, and we can try again! I might put the divider in the tank and get two bettas!

Thank you for the support y'all. I loved Jackson, but you know, death happens. I'll get another fish in the spring, and we can try again! I might put the divider in the tank and get two bettas!

Please don't that's really very stressful for them. It's best to keep 1 male betta in a 1-2+gal tank with a filter. Females can be kept together, but as I've learned, they like their space too. I had 4 in a 65gal tank and 2 clearly didn't like each other for a while. They seem to have gotten over their dispute and now live on opposite sides of the tank.

Please don't that's really very stressful for them. It's best to keep 1 male betta in a 1-2+gal tank with a filter. Females can be kept together, but as I've learned, they like their space too. I had 4 in a 65gal tank and 2 clearly didn't like each other for a while. They seem to have gotten over their dispute and now live on opposite sides of the tank.

Oh okay. I didn't know. I was told by the people when I bought the tank that if you put the black divider in that came with the tank, they couldn't see each other and it wouldn't stress them out. Yeah I definitely don't want to stress them out, so I'll just stick with the one

Oh okay. I didn't know. I was told by the people when I bought the tank that if you put the black divider in that came with the tank, they couldn't see each other and it wouldn't stress them out. Yeah I definitely don't want to stress them out, so I'll just stick with the one
Oh, a black divider may be ok, I was thinking of those betta tanks with a clear divider, but if the tank is smaller than 2 gallons, I'd probably just keep it to 1 still. Maybe get him a little snail buddy if you feel he needs a friend. I've heard some people have luck keeping them with shrimp, but I've always found they prefer to eat the shrimp. I even had one betta go after and eventually kill a 2" bamboo shrimp!

A 5 gallon or larger tank with a black divider would be fine. But yeah, I agree with Jilary here. I tried a regular tank divider with two of my boys and even with a bunch of plants around it there were still spaces where they could see each other and it really stressed them out. Snails make great betta buddies! I had some ghost shrimp but they all got eaten, so also would not recommend shrimp. Malaysian trumpet snails are good too, especially if you have a tank with live plants, but just be aware they breed quickly so you will end up with a ton of snails. If you'd rather keep your snail numbers down, I'd go with the nerites - even if you have two in the tank, they can't breed in regular freshwater. And their shells are really pretty! If you get a little nerite you could have a couple in a 2-3 gallon tank, but I would only get one if you get one of the larger ones. Most of the other common snail species (mystery snails and such) are going to require more space than a betta size tank.

A 5 gallon or larger tank with a black divider would be fine. But yeah, I agree with Jilary here. I tried a regular tank divider with two of my boys and even with a bunch of plants around it there were still spaces where they could see each other and it really stressed them out. Snails make great betta buddies! I had some ghost shrimp but they all got eaten, so also would not recommend shrimp. Malaysian trumpet snails are good too, especially if you have a tank with live plants, but just be aware they breed quickly so you will end up with a ton of snails. If you'd rather keep your snail numbers down, I'd go with the nerites - even if you have two in the tank, they can't breed in regular freshwater. And their shells are really pretty! If you get a little nerite you could have a couple in a 2-3 gallon tank, but I would only get one if you get one of the larger ones. Most of the other common snail species (mystery snails and such) are going to require more space than a betta size tank.
I had nerites before! They are SOOOO cute! I never had much luck keeping snails though, they always seem to die within a year.

I'd stay away from any snail that breeds in your tank, unless you want a tank FULL of snails. I'm always super careful when buying live plants to make sure there are no nuisance snails in the tank. They are so hard to get rid of once they are introduced.

It's so interesting how they have their own personalities and disputes. Glad they worked it out, haha

I had nerites before! They are SOOOO cute! I never had much luck keeping snails though, they always seem to die within a year.

I'd stay away from any snail that breeds in your tank, unless you want a tank FULL of snails. I'm always super careful when buying live plants to make sure there are no nuisance snails in the tank. They are so hard to get rid of once they are introduced.
Even trying to keep pest snails out, we have an outbreak of them every couple months. (As seen in the pic of the baby cory) Our nerites lay eggs everywhere and I would not be surprised if they were at least some of the babies in the tank since it looks like we have a few different types and seem to be oddly successful at making babies.

We have debated getting a couple loaches, but we need a bigger tank before we add more fish.

Even trying to keep pest snails out, we have an outbreak of them every couple months. (As seen in the pic of the baby cory) Our nerites lay eggs everywhere and I would not be surprised if they were at least some of the babies in the tank since it looks like we have a few different types and seem to be oddly successful at making babies.

We have debated getting a couple loaches, but we need a bigger tank before we add more fish.

I can't see the babies in your picture :( could you point them out?? :p

Do you see the dark green oval blob about 1/4 down from the top? Right on top of that a little to the left is a tanish blurry fish face.
Ahh I thought that might be it but couldn't tell!

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

I used to buy the clear dividing Betta containers. I would use them when I taught about water density and ocean circulation because you can make either side a different color and salinity/temperature and then lift divider and see which one is more/less dense.

Reactions: 1 users
I can't see the babies in your picture :( could you point them out?? :p
20161118_202553.jpg

I guess this pic has the baby snail in it and the baby cory is facing away about halfway up the moss. (There are actually 3 there but you can't really see the deeper ones no matter how I angled the camera and light.)