All About Our Pets(Pics, Advice, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
None of my animals want to keep their toes this winter.

Dog just tried to slice off a toe. (Just a cut through his webbing between toes. I'm gonna clip and clean it and if it is exactly what it looks like, just wrap it and send him out to potty in full leg covering since our snow is 2 feet deep, still coming and -40 degrees at night this week. If it's worse, we'll head to the vet, so no worries guys.)

Hubby used the last of my betadyne inside "sometime in the last year." How long will it take for my gallon from outside (where he put it) to thaw? :bang:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Ooh how's he adjusting? Has he met your other bun?
He's grooming himself and eating, so so far so good!

Not yet! I'm going to give him a week or so to settle in before I start the bonding process. Their pens are next to each other though and they're both curious!

Reactions: 3 users
Found a bottle of chlorahex! Winner!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm. It's borderline. Calling the vet...

Reactions: 1 user
I let Sparks out to play and was planning on blocking her from the pens to play in the hallway but before I could she made a beeline for him. They started grooming each other through the bars guys <3

I'm going to try really hard to prevent anymore contact until he's settled in, but that made me so happy!

Reactions: 15 users
I let Sparks out to play and was planning on blocking her from the pens to play in the hallway but before I could she made a beeline for him. They started grooming each other through the bars guys <3

I'm going to try really hard to prevent anymore contact until he's settled in, but that made me so happy!
That's so precious i'm crying

Reactions: 8 users
Aww, poor thing! Sorry you're having to deal with that LoTF.
He'll go in tomorrow. It's not emergent, just there is a puncture path at the end of the slice that angles toward the bone of the toe. He's cut in such a way, I doubt suturing his webbing back together would be useful (kinda skinned his outer toe so there is no place to attach the webbing), but makes antibiotics probably a really good idea since this will likely take a while to heal.

This is the perfect name and he looks so perfect and awww :love: they're going to be best friends!
I may or may not have watched The Princess Bride last night after talking about it....

I tell Sparks not to act like a Princess when she's being a turd, so obviously she needs a Wesley :D

Reactions: 5 users
When he starts being naughty you need to call him dread pirate Roberts...

Sent from my VS876 using SDN mobile
Oh, don't worry, that's the plan. He's also going to be called farm boy when he's being adorable :D

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
He's out and about more today and I'm realizing how fat he actually is currently.

IMG_3626.JPG

This is him stretching out and he's still a ball :laugh:

Reactions: 11 users
I've had my foster girls on various adoption websites since September. By Christmas, 20 people had messaged me to express their interest in them. I'd set up times for people to meet them. One lady actually did come, but everyone else either didn't show up or found a different cat before they met mine. Over and over again.

It was unbelievably frustrating. Nina and Stella are such great cats, and I have absolutely fallen in love with them. Nina loves to be held and snuggled, and she's the most personable cat I've ever met. Stella is more reserved but so sweet. All fall I kept saying goodbyes and preparing myself for them to leave, only for them to stay.

I took them off of the adoption websites this weekend. And then like magic, a woman who had messaged me before (and then was blindsided by how expensive her apartment pet fees would be, and couldn't take them at the time) e-mailed again. She couldn't stop thinking about Nina and Stella's sweet pictures and she wanted to meet them, if they were still available.

So, yesterday, exactly 6 months after I brought them home, Nina and Stella met a great family and went home with them. I should be happy, and I'm trying to be, but I'm also really sad. This morning was the first time I woke up without them snuggled around me. I know they'll be very loved with their new family, and I am so happy that they get to stay together (they're litter mates, and they've been through a lot together), but I'm going to miss them both so much.

So here's to my sweet foster girls.
IMG_20161019_151642102.jpg IMG_20161031_120400577_HDR.jpg IMG_20161101_122208407_HDR.jpg IMG_20161128_195520793.jpg

Reactions: 15 users
They are both beautiful cats! That is awesome that they got to stay together, and sounds like they found a really great home.

Is the new owner going to stay in touch at all for photos/etc?

I've had my foster girls on various adoption websites since September. By Christmas, 20 people had messaged me to express their interest in them. I'd set up times for people to meet them. One lady actually did come, but everyone else either didn't show up or found a different cat before they met mine. Over and over again.

It was unbelievably frustrating. Nina and Stella are such great cats, and I have absolutely fallen in love with them. Nina loves to be held and snuggled, and she's the most personable cat I've ever met. Stella is more reserved but so sweet. All fall I kept saying goodbyes and preparing myself for them to leave, only for them to stay.

I took them off of the adoption websites this weekend. And then like magic, a woman who had messaged me before (and then was blindsided by how expensive her apartment pet fees would be, and couldn't take them at the time) e-mailed again. She couldn't stop thinking about Nina and Stella's sweet pictures and she wanted to meet them, if they were still available.

So, yesterday, exactly 6 months after I brought them home, Nina and Stella met a great family and went home with them. I should be happy, and I'm trying to be, but I'm also really sad. This morning was the first time I woke up without them snuggled around me. I know they'll be very loved with their new family, and I am so happy that they get to stay together (they're litter mates, and they've been through a lot together), but I'm going to miss them both so much.

View attachment 213064 View attachment 213065 View attachment 213066 View attachment 213067
Aww, so I'm glad they found a such good home! Sorry you're missing them so much though :( you did so much for them and all your foster liters. They're so lucky you found them!

View attachment 213064 View attachment 213065 View attachment 213066 View attachment 213067
Sorry to hear you're feeling sad and missing your foster cats. I understand; it's hard to let go - totally understand.

Nina and Stella are beautiful cats who finally found their "forever together" home - 100% thanks to YOU! :)

I've been staying at my friends house for a week now, and her cats are finally trusting me. One of them keeps kneading me (alternating paws and pushing them softly into my arm/ stomach). Ive never had a cat before. Hopefully this is a good thing hahahaha

I've been staying at my friends house for a week now, and her cats are finally trusting me. One of them keeps kneading me (alternating paws and pushing them softly into my arm/ stomach). Ive never had a cat before. Hopefully this is a good thing hahahaha
Yes, kitty loves you

Yes, kitty loves you

But if she had thumbs you'd be dead

AKA making biscuits :)

It's definitely a good thing! Kittens do that when nursing to get more milk, and then as adults they do it when they're happy and relaxed (at least that's what I've heard). My kitty likes to purr loudly while kneading a blanket.

Does anyone have possible recommendations or success with reduction of xanthomas on a budgie?
History: She's old (~11-13 years old, I'm her 3rd home), eating/drinking normally. Preening and making adorable parakeet noises. Other functions are normal. She came to me with multiple xanthomas but lately they are bothering her and getting larger.

Due to her age and the fact that she is a small bird I've been told told surgery is essentially out of the question. She won't eat pellets, Lafeber's, Zupreem, or anything other than seeds which I know contributes to the formation of xanthomas. I have tried making the pellets into a powder and coating the seeds for a couple weeks to transition her to a lower fat/cholesterol diet.
I'm trying just to keep her comfortable for now.

His name was Anders at the shelter but I'm considering changing it to Wesley!

Wesley is my cat's name! He says to tell you it's a good name.

When he starts being naughty you need to call him dread pirate Roberts...

...and we definitely call him "the DPR" when he's feeling dangerous :pirate:

...it's a good thing until his claws get bigger and he lovingly rips up your favorite sweater (and the arm/stomach underneath), like my cat is doing to me right now as I type this.

Does anyone have possible recommendations or success with reduction of xanthomas on a budgie?
History: She's old (~11-13 years old, I'm her 3rd home), eating/drinking normally. Preening and making adorable parakeet noises. Other functions are normal. She came to me with multiple xanthomas but lately they are bothering her and getting larger.

Due to her age and the fact that she is a small bird I've been told told surgery is essentially out of the question. She won't eat pellets, Lafeber's, Zupreem, or anything other than seeds which I know contributes to the formation of xanthomas. I have tried making the pellets into a powder and coating the seeds for a couple weeks to transition her to a lower fat/cholesterol diet.
I'm trying just to keep her comfortable for now.
http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/using-our-foods/small-bird-conversion/

The avian vet I worked with loved Harrisons. They have advice on swapping over feed, have done trials to test various methods and have a hotline you can call to ask specific questions.

They do still recommend that you consult with a vet during the course of any diet change, but have lots of tools to help make the transition successful if recommended.

First and secondhand, I can say that I have seen other birds that were fed only seed based diets and that had turned their noses up at other pellet diets did seem to prefer it and actually transition pretty smoothly.

The link above should go straight to a method for getting small birds (I think budgies on millet was their test) to transition by making them muffins from millet and Harrisons.

I got my kitty a bunch of new toys for Christmas and he's so funny when he plays with them. When he gets really excited while playing his whole tail will poof up and he'll jump around and do backflips.

AKA making biscuits :)

It's definitely a good thing! Kittens do that when nursing to get more milk, and then as adults they do it when they're happy and relaxed (at least that's what I've heard). My kitty likes to purr loudly while kneading a blanket.
Yeah they loooove making biscuits, I woke up this morning and two brothers are simultaneously making biscuits on either side of me. It was adorable.

My kitten has settled down and is now handling the car ride back to school like a champ. Aka sleeping on my lap while my mom drives

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

My piggie's new huts arrived. They haven't received them yet cause I'll put them in when I clean their cage later today or tomorrow.

upload_2017-1-7_15-36-14.png

Reactions: 18 users
http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/using-our-foods/small-bird-conversion/

The avian vet I worked with loved Harrisons. They have advice on swapping over feed, have done trials to test various methods and have a hotline you can call to ask specific questions.

They do still recommend that you consult with a vet during the course of any diet change, but have lots of tools to help make the transition successful if recommended.

First and secondhand, I can say that I have seen other birds that were fed only seed based diets and that had turned their noses up at other pellet diets did seem to prefer it and actually transition pretty smoothly.

The link above should go straight to a method for getting small birds (I think budgies on millet was their test) to transition by making them muffins from millet and Harrisons.
Wow! That looks great! I'll discuss it with her doctor and get the ball rolling. I appreciate it, thank you.

IMG_3645.JPG

Guys they're cuddling through the bars and both grooming each other!

Reactions: 18 users
CatDVM1.jpg
I want to steal him so badly. He's my friend's down in South Africa and loves to cuddle and talk to you. Maybe once I get accepted/ actually know where I'm gonna live I'll adopt one!
@cdoconn, in that case, here is a photo of your future cat (see picture above). :cat:

Last edited:
ImageUploadedBySDN1484105609.661541.jpg

I think we're settling into college life well

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 9 users
probably because someone cut the sleeves off his white coat...
"Dammit Debra. How can I look professional when you cut the sleeves off my white coat? Do you see anyone else here with a short sleeve white coat? No? Think next time."

Reactions: 2 users
Kitten was supposed to go to the vet today to get her health cert to fly back to school. Instead she has had diarrhea and been in and out of the litter box every thirty minutes all night. I feel awful that she feels so yucky. We leave in three days too... this is not good timing.

Kitten was supposed to go to the vet today to get her health cert to fly back to school. Instead she has had diarrhea and been in and out of the litter box every thirty minutes all night. I feel awful that she feels so yucky. We leave in three days too... this is not good timing.
@alohacat319, I hope your sweet kitten feels better. She must be feeling worn-out and weak from being in-and-out of her litter box most of the night. Poor baby - very sorry!