All About Our Pets(Pics, Advice, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The good news is that my foster kitties are doing great in their new home! The owner was worried because they hid under a bed the entire first day, so she stayed up all night to spend time with them and help them feel comfortable. They're their normal selves now, following their people around the house and playing nonstop. They really found the perfect home. :love:

The sad news is that I had to say goodbye to my Cali kitty today. She would have been 11 in April. I adopted her when I was 13 - I saved my babysitting money all summer, and when I had $160 saved (a fortune) we went to the shelter and picked her out.

She had terrible dental health and had just a few teeth left after her most recent dental. She was the Queen cat - she'd sleep on the cat tower like she owned it, and she would talk to you when you said her name. Sometimes I caught her snuggling with another cat, but she wouldn't let that happen often. :laugh: She had so much sass and personality.

She was diagnosed with CKD last April, but it looked like we caught it early enough. She went on an appropriate diet and we were going to recheck her kidneys this spring. She wasn't supposed to go back to the vet until this April.

On Sunday she vomited, which wasn't incredibly weird, but she was sleeping a lot on Monday and not eating anything but treats. She went to the vet on Tuesday, and her BUN and Creatinine were really high, but her blood cells were also off, so we were hopeful she had an infection we could help with antibiotics. We started fluids at home and she seemed a little better. This morning she was acting really sick. She hadn't absorbed her fluids from yesterday, and we found out that she had stopped making urine. I took her to the vet a half hour after I got up today, without showing or anything, and I was already a weepy mess before we talked to the vet or rechecked her blood. She was in renal failure. There was nothing we could do to make her comfortable so we euthanized her this morning. I have never been so affected by a pet's death before. On Tuesday we weren't even talking about life and death situations. Suddenly today we were, and it was so fast and I was supposed to have so much more time with her.

View attachment 213431
I'm so sorry to hear that PBC. :( I know you gave her the best life and she loved you wholeheartedly.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The worst things happen to the best pets with the most loving owners... I'm so sorry PBC. My PMs and fb are always open if you need to talk to someone.

Reactions: 2 users
New collapsible carrier and cage set up for my bunnies!

New Carrier.jpg

new cage layout.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your kind words everyone. It really helps.

I woke up this morning and forgot why she wasn't sleeping with me, and that was hard. There are a lot of things that are making me sad right now, but one of the biggest is realizing how few pictures I've taken of Cali recently. I have a million of my foster kitties, because I knew all along they'd be leaving, but I could only find 4 or so of Cali from all of 2016. It's making me feel like I wasn't paying enough attention to her, which I know isn't fair and isn't true, but it's hard all the same.

I went through what I have and found some favorites to hang up. My phone camera is pretty fuzzy, but here it is:

IMG_20170115_240807984.jpg

Reactions: 17 users
This weekend I'm out of town interviewing so earlier this week I drove my kitty to my parents so that she could stay with them. All weekend long my sisters and my mom have repeatedly sent me pictures of my cat sleeping in the dog's bed, and the dog sleeping next to her on the floor lol. Usually she sleeps in my bed, so I never would have guessed that the dog bed would be such a hit...

Attachments

• dogbed.jpg
    dogbed.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 70
Reactions: 8 users
Hey! Does anyone have advice about moving to a colder climate with pets? I was accepted into schools up north, where the weather is drastically different than what we're used to (Florida native here!). I can handle the cold, but I'm not entirely sure how my two dogs will adapt. One has a heart condition, so minimizing her stress and keeping her happy and healthy are my primary concerns at the moment.

This weekend I'm out of town interviewing so earlier this week I drove my kitty to my parents so that she could stay with them. All weekend long my sisters and my mom have repeatedly sent me pictures of my cat sleeping in the dog's bed, and the dog sleeping next to her on the floor lol. Usually she sleeps in my bed, so I never would have guessed that the dog bed would be such a hit...
Your cat is gorgeous!

I'm guessing your cat is the "mew" ruler of the hearth and home, much to the chagrin of the dog, eh?

I'm partial to that one!!! You can guess why.

ImageUploadedBySDN1484520857.326995.jpg

I guess I'm done for the night. Or that's what she is telling me

Reactions: 8 users
Got little betta dude a water heater and leaf hammock, and holy moly, he's a new fish!

I had been worried that he was getting chilly because my apartment has definitely been cooler in the winter months, but I was amazed at just how much of a difference the heater made for him.

Happy that my little scaley guy is happy. :love:

Reactions: 7 users
Your cat is gorgeous!

I'm guessing your cat is the "mew" ruler of the hearth and home, much to the chagrin of the dog, eh?

Thanks Dr. S!

The dog is terrified of her and she knows it lol

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got little betta dude a water heater and leaf hammock, and holy moly, he's a new fish!

I had been worried that he was getting chilly because my apartment has definitely been cooler in the winter months, but I was amazed at just how much of a difference the heater made for him.

<3 my betta loved his leaf hammock. I swear he'd sit in it every day. He ate up there and all

Reactions: 3 users
Kitty becomes an even bigger bully than usual when he's hungry. I would give him a snickers but I think that's bad for him.

Reactions: 9 users

@Cephal0pod and @cdoconn, I thought the term "leaf hammock" sounded really cute. I did not even know there was such a thing as a "leaf hammock" until I searched Google. There it was: a leaf hammock for fish. It's really cute!

This post just reminded my that my new aquarium heater was supposed to arrive today from amazon. Check tracking - says its been left on our front porch. Check front porch - no where to be found :( Check security cameras - was never dropped off/stolen. Guess dogs and I are going on a stroll to see if the neighbors have it....

@Cephal0pod and @cdoconn, I thought the term "leaf hammock" sounded really cute. I did not even know there was such a thing as a "leaf hammock" until I searched Google. There it was: a leaf hammock for fish. It's really cute!

It has a little wire in it so you can position it (Jackson was suuuuper picky and wouldn't lay on it unless it was angled a specific way). It was super cute!

It has a little wire in it so you can position it (Jackson was suuuuper picky and wouldn't lay on it unless it was angled a specific way). It was super cute!
@cdoconn, I am smiling and laughing out loud ... I can only imagine your little Jackson being fussy about the angle of his little "leaf hammock." OMG, that is priceless! :)

@Balesofhay, is that a little fish resting in the leaf hammock?

What a clever little invention for fish: a "leaf hammock." Fascinating and super-cute!

I think so. I googled fish hammock and this was the first one I saw

I love watching my bettas sleep. They're so frickin cute. I don't have a hammock anymore but anubias leaves are similar and mine like to sleep on those.
@WildZoo, I didn't know little fish were able to sleep on leaves. I Google searched "anubias leaf" to see what it looked like: it's a tiny leaf. How does a betta fish stay on top of the leaf: wouldn't the fish float upward or drift off of the leaf once they're asleep? I wonder if betta fish host sleepovers for other little fish ... you know ... providing group protection based on numbers. Do betta fish sleep alone or do they sleep with other fish on their sleeping leaves. Geez, that sounds scandalous and naughty, but you know what I mean!

What type of bettas do you have?
Marius is a veil tail, multicolor...he used to be more turquoise but now he's a bit darker, has some red wash.
Grantaire is a royal blue veil tail.
Enjolras is a black copper devil, and I think he was sold as a rosetail but it's hard to tell anymore with how short he keeps his finnage, he might just be a halfmoon.

@WildZoo, I didn't know little fish were able to sleep on leaves. I Google searched "anubias leaf" to see what it looked like: it's a tiny leaf. How does a betta fish stay on top of the leaf: wouldn't the fish float upward or drift off of the leaf once they're asleep? I wonder if betta fish host sleepovers for other little fish ... you know ... providing group protection based on numbers. Do betta fish sleep alone or do they sleep with other fish on their sleeping leaves. Geez, that sounds scandalous and naughty, but you know what I mean!
You know, I'm not entirely sure how they keep from drifting but somehow they do! My guys will sometimes sleep on their sides at the bottom of their tanks too, which I think they do just to freak me out.

Bettas don't tend to play well with others so I imagine they usually sleep alone ;)

Barricade Boys (with baby pictures of Marius and Grantaire for fun).

pixlr_20170116022357548.jpg

And that's a very old picture of Enjolras, but even then he had discovered how tasty his tail is. Soon he also discovered how much better he liked it at half size.

Barricade Boys (with baby pictures of Marius and Grantaire for fun).

View attachment 213503

And that's a very old picture of Enjolras, but even then he had discovered how tasty his tail is. Soon he also discovered how much better he liked it at half size.

They do have the best names. (Also I love the fact that you call them the Barricade Boys)

They do have the best names. (Also I love the fact that you call them the Barricade Boys)
I have an obsession. I got all three of them in November 2015, though not at the exact same time. Grantaire (Eponine at the time) was first, then I had to go back for Marius (who was Cosette) because he had looked so sad - the baby picture I posted was after he recovered from ammonia burns and fin rot. Enjolras was a week or two later in exchange for my girl that passed within two weeks of when I got her, and I specifically wanted one with red fins to go with the name :D

The fact that they ended up being Barricade Boys was luck, really. And Petco's inability to sex their fish :laugh:

I have an obsession. I got all three of them in November 2015, though not at the exact same time. Grantaire (Eponine at the time) was first, then I had to go back for Marius (who was Cosette) because he had looked so sad - the baby picture I posted was after he recovered from ammonia burns and fin rot. Enjolras was a week or two later in exchange for my girl that passed within two weeks of when I got her, and I specifically wanted one with red fins to go with the name :D

The fact that they ended up being Barricade Boys was luck, really. And Petco's inability to sex their fish :laugh:

About your theme for names... my family does the same thing but Winnie the Pooh names. It started right before I was born when my sister was 4. 22 years later and still going strong. We've had to move to secondary characters now though

About your theme for names... my family does the same thing but Winnie the Pooh names. It started right before I was born when my sister was 4. 22 years later and still going strong. We've had to move to secondary characters now though
:laugh: I'm also planning to have a LotR theme for all future cats, since I have a Gandalf already.

Themed names are the best. My dogs have one theme (Kobe and MJ), the cats another (Cricket and Spyder), and the fish a third (Disney characters). My rats were named Luna and Tonks :)

Themed names are the best. My dogs have one theme (Kobe and MJ), the cats another (Cricket and Spyder), and the fish a third (Disney characters). My rats were named Luna and Tonks :)

Ours spanned over multiple species but was mainly cats. We had a rabbit named rabbit and I trained a jersey heifer for one of my classes named Eeyore

:laugh: I'm also planning to have a LotR theme for all future cats, since I have a Gandalf already.
Someday I'm going to have cats named after dead Russian authors. When I find a big fluffy grumpy looking gray cat he will he named Dostoyevsky immediately.

Reactions: 6 users
Someday I'm going to have cats named after dead Russian authors. When I find a big fluffy grumpy looking gray cat he will he named Dostoyevsky immediately.

ImageUploadedBySDN1484595519.538030.jpg

So this but bigger

Reactions: 5 users
Rabbits! My little stinky friends welcomed me home from work with a mess. They chewed/dug a huge hole in their rug and pulled the puppy pad through, which they then shredded. I guess that I'll be spending part of my evening finding a couple of cheap replacement rugs. Maybe I need to make little enrichment toys for them. Give them something appropriate to destroy when I'm at work.

Reactions: 6 users
Hellooo first post ever on this site... try not to judge me too much. Any other horse people out there? I'm *enjoying* playing vet with my OTTB who likes coming up with new, increasingly weird health problems that are difficult to fix. At least I now have experience doing rads on every single joint from neck to hooves... :(

I have my cat and my roommate's cat both sleeping on my bed right now. It's a miracle

Brought my third competition horse down to school with me to get him ready for the summer! He was not impressed about going back to work :rofl:

seven.png

Reactions: 11 users
Brought my third competition horse down to school with me to get him ready for the summer! He was not impressed about going back to work :rofl:

View attachment 213602

I wish I could bring my pony down to school with me but I'm not good at divvying up my time that well. And it'll be expensive to ship a horse to Ireland next year

Hellooo first post ever on this site... try not to judge me too much. Any other horse people out there? I'm *enjoying* playing vet with my OTTB who likes coming up with new, increasingly weird health problems that are difficult to fix. At least I now have experience doing rads on every single joint from neck to hooves... :(

My personal horse was my own absolute confirmation that I never ever ever want to be an equine vet...ever.

If they don't find some creative way to break every bone in their body, colic will surely get 'em.