All About Our Pets(Pics, Advice, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wish I could bring my pony down to school with me but I'm not good at divvying up my time that well. And it'll be expensive to ship a horse to Ireland next year

It's definitely tough! I have three of them with me because I am clearly a crazy person :confused: Not failing first year so far, though, so I guess it's working out :p

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hellooo first post ever on this site... try not to judge me too much. Any other horse people out there? I'm *enjoying* playing vet with my OTTB who likes coming up with new, increasingly weird health problems that are difficult to fix. At least I now have experience doing rads on every single joint from neck to hooves... :(

Welcome to SDN, fellow horsey person! I too have had all kinds of "fun" veterinary exploits with my horses... so I can definitely relate!

Reactions: 1 user
It's definitely tough! I have three of them with me because I am clearly a crazy person :confused: Not failing first year so far, though, so I guess it's working out :p

THREE?

Holy hell.

Girl, you are crazy haha.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh my god I need him.

I have super long legs so I look very awkward on anything under like 16.2 but better on taller

Are you me? Lol. 5'10" and need horses over 16.2 as well, otherwise I look super awkotaco. He actually takes up my leg and then some! Seven + me next to a normal sized human :cool:

seven2.png

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you me? Lol. 5'10" and need horses over 16.2 as well, otherwise I look super awkotaco. He actually takes up my leg and then some! Seven + me next to a normal sized human :cool:
I'm BASICALLY you. Roughly 5'9" with a 35.5-36" inseam.
I occasionally get put on a pony(and not a very large one) and I FEEL SO BAD because I hit their elbows half the time when their leg goes back because my legs are so friggen long. I'll see if I happen to have a picture (not really sure if I actually do)

All of this horse talk IS NOT HELPING MY HORSE FEVER PEOPLE

Reactions: 4 users
I'm 5'7" but come from the land of Quarter Horses. I can't imagine riding something 18 hands. My uncle breeds cutting horses and they're all 14.2-15h so that's what I'm used to.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
The horse I ride when I'm home from school... he REALLY wanted treats :) And also I'm exactly like you guys, 5'10 and all legs. I only look normal on horses that are 17hh+ ahaha. The IHSA is a struggle because all the horses in my region are tiny

Attachments

• IMG_4869.JPG
    IMG_4869.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 53
Reactions: 6 users
The horse I ride when I'm home from school... he REALLY wanted treats And also I'm exactly like you guys, 5'10 and all legs. I only look normal on horses that are 17hh+ ahaha. The IHSA is a struggle because all the horses in my region are tiny
Super jelly you have IHSA! We don't really have anything similar in Canada :( I would love to do it!

Super jelly you have IHSA! We don't really have anything similar in Canada :( I would love to do it!
Aw that sucks :( It's such a cool way to be able to compete while being a broke college student haha, I'm gonna miss it!

Haha thanks! He's my giant giraffe/moose :p 18hh and wears an 84" blanket, 62" girth! But he's super sweet :)

Wait they make girths that big? I've been riding draft horses so I'm used to 60" girths but never bigger. That would've made my life easier

You guys. After looking around for a while... My classmate has a horse near campus that she said I could half lease for $150 a month to ride whenever I want... she's only 6 and not the most broke horse in the world, but she's a good horse and I think it would be a really good learning experience for me! Ahh!!!

Reactions: 7 users
You guys. After looking around for a while... My classmate has a horse near campus that she said I could half lease for $150 a month to ride whenever I want... she's only 6 and not the most broke horse in the world, but she's a good horse and I think it would be a really good learning experience for me! Ahh!!!
Ahhh that is such a good price! You should definitely do it :) A 6 year old would definitely not be boring haha

Ahhhh!!!!!! That's so exciting!!!!

The horse I ride when I'm home from school... he REALLY wanted treats :) And also I'm exactly like you guys, 5'10 and all legs. I only look normal on horses that are 17hh+ ahaha. The IHSA is a struggle because all the horses in my region are tiny
Oh my godddddd he's so cuteeeee

And I also ride IHSA (well I did, I graduated in December :( sad because my teams show we host is this weekend, but I'll probably at least get to school) but we actually have some horses that are big. Like real big. I've gotten to ride a big one I think four times but most of the rest have been in the 16s so I look alright on them, but once I drew the pony WHO WAS NOT HEIGHT WEIGHT and I looked so ****ing ridiculous. I'm going to attempt to find a picture of that if I have it still, not sure if I actually kept it because of how ridiculous I looked. I did end up getting first in my class so at least it didn't hinder me HAHAHA
And since I'm in Michigan and Canada is right next door and closer to some shows than even Ohio is, we have a team who competes IHSA from Canada from Western Ontario University (I think?). @awesomenessity
I'm all leg too. Also arm. My wingspan is a good 6 inches over how tall I am, which they're supposed to be equal. WHOOPS.

And I also ride IHSA (well I did, I graduated in December :( sad because my teams show we host is this weekend, but I'll probably at least get to school) but we actually have some horses that are big. Like real big. I've gotten to ride a big one I think four times but most of the rest have been in the 16s so I look alright on them, but once I drew the pony WHO WAS NOT HEIGHT WEIGHT and I looked so ****ing ridiculous. I'm going to attempt to find a picture of that if I have it still, not sure if I actually kept it because of how ridiculous I looked. I did end up getting first in my class so at least it didn't hinder me HAHAHA
And since I'm in Michigan and Canada is right next door and closer to some shows than even Ohio is, we have a team who competes IHSA from Canada from Western Ontario University (I think?). @awesomenessity
I'm all leg too. Also arm. My wingspan is a good 6 inches over how tall I am, which they're supposed to be equal. WHOOPS.
Omg that must've looked so hilarious, at least you won! I literally draw the ponies at every show but get heighted off every time haha. Sometimes I wish I could just ride them though, ponies are so fun!!

Omg that must've looked so hilarious, at least you won! I literally draw the ponies at every show but get heighted off every time haha. Sometimes I wish I could just ride them though, ponies are so fun!!
Yeah, in our region they pull the ponies out before we draw and then they have the people who are height/weight (over 5'7 or 160 lbs) draw first and then they toss the ponies in and have everyone else draw from what's left. what's REALLY fun is when there are more H/W riders than there are horses for them (plus alternates) and we have to call over a coach and stop the draw for like 5 min so the coach whos team is running the show can pull certain ponies and put other bigger horses in our class. That's happened probably 2 times in just my class, not sure about anyone elses classes/splits of the class.

Last edited:
Okay, so I couldn't find a picture of me on the pony, but I DID find a picture of me on a real horse (I cannot remember how tall she is though) and a picture of a different girl on my team on the same horse, but she's like 5'nothing.
The one of her is kinda blurry because zoomed iPhone picture while I was walking and the horse was ALSO walking, but you can kinda see where she hits vs. me. LOL.

DONT JUDGE MY EQ BECAUSE I HAD JUST WALKED INTO THE RING AND WE WERENT BEING JUDGED YET AND I WAS FIGURING LIFE OUT.
*poof*

Last edited:
Ride a draft horse it makes you look small also a 5'10"er

ImageUploadedBySDN1484787661.620810.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
I just want to ride a horse short enough that I won't die when I fall off :laugh:

One day I'll join the big kids though :woot:

Mine's only 15.2. Just sufficiently round

the closer to the ground a pony is, the closer to hell they are. true story.

Or the smaller they are, the more concentrated the evil. Just like land sharks

Haha unfortunately I am nowhere nearrrr Ontario :p

Wait they make girths that big? I've been riding draft horses so I'm used to 60" girths but never bigger. That would've made my life easier

They do! I've seen them up to 64"!

DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT!

All you horse people and meanwhile I'm over here learning about horse coat colors like "wtf, how is that a gray horse, THAT'S CLEARLY BROWN."

Reactions: 10 users
All you horse people and meanwhile I'm over here learning about horse coat colors like "wtf, how is that a gray horse, THAT'S CLEARLY BROWN."
What do you call the blonde looking ones? And if a gray horse looks brown it's because it's been rolling in mud, seems to be their favorite thing to do.

What do you call the blonde looking ones? And if a gray horse looks brown it's because it's been rolling in mud, seems to be their favorite thing to do.
Palomino or buckskin... my favorites :love:

Palomino or buckskin... my favorites :love:
They are pretty. I think paints or pintos are my favorite (are they the same thing?) At least I think I've finally gotten down chestnut and bay, I always want them to be the opposite, though there are some between those two colors and I'm never quite sure what to call them.

They are pretty. I think paints or pintos are my favorite (are they the same thing?) At least I think I've finally gotten down chestnut and bay, I always want them to be the opposite, though there are some between those two colors and I'm never quite sure what to call them.
I call them horses :p

I still have all the Phantom Stallion books about a kid in Nevada who was best friends with a mustang, because I loooooved those books and I can't bring myself to get rid of them. I wanted her life so much.

If you really want to know, Paints are a registered breed of horse based on the pinto colour. So pinto is a colour, Paint is a breed, even though all Paints are pintos. But not all pintos are Paints ;)

If you really want to know, Paints are a registered breed of horse based on the pinto colour. So pinto is a colour, Paint is a breed, even though all Paints are pintos. But not all pintos are Paints ;)
I did really want to know! I don't want to look like a total idiot while doing equine rotations! :) Thanks!