All About Our Pets(Pics, Advice, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I mean, I wouldn't trade him for the world but I would probably sit through a presentation about my trade-in options :p
Exactly how I feel about Tesla. She's a menace but she's my menace and the house would be very quiet without her.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Can someone please explain to me why my cat feels the need to eat every book and newspaper that gets near him? :arghh:

Apparently I have the girl version of your cat...

It took me way too long to figure out your comment, serher. I was like, "you have a girlfriend who eats books? your roommate eats newspaper? what?!" :laugh:

Growing up, I had a fat cat that would sometimes nibble on books and always drool on them. The pages would stick together. Now I have a cat that just wants to eat my feet :mad:

Reactions: 3 users
It took me way too long to figure out your comment, serher. I was like, "you have a girlfriend who eats books? your roommate eats newspaper? what?!" :laugh:

Growing up, I had a fat cat that would sometimes nibble on books and always drool on them. The pages would stick together. Now I have a cat that just wants to eat my feet :mad:
My kitty eats books and toes and also my hair if I'm not fast enough. I really should have named him Dennis.

I had to get a water spray bottle because he won't respond to literally anything else to get off my dang nightstand and stop eating my books but it's only taught him to try to eat my things more quietly before I notice.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My cat is deaf so I really don't know of a way to get her to stop eating my stuff. I (hesitantly) tried a water bottle a while ago because I was so over it. She kind of just took it as a challenge so it didn't help at all...

Reactions: 5 users
My cat is deaf so I really don't know of a way to get her to stop eating my stuff. I (hesitantly) tried a water bottle a while ago because I was so over it. She kind of just took it as a challenge so it didn't help at all...
Mine took it as a challenge until I changed the nozzle to a stream so narrow that I could probably shoot him from like twenty feet away. He cares about it now because I can routinely nail him from across the room when he's being a real pain in the butt.

Reactions: 4 users
My kitty eats books and toes and also my hair if I'm not fast enough. I really should have named him Dennis.

I had to get a water spray bottle because he won't respond to literally anything else to get off my dang nightstand and stop eating my books but it's only taught him to try to eat my things more quietly before I notice.

Yessss. I feel guilty using a spray bottle because I know positive reinforcement is best, but if she's attacking my feet, I don't know what else to do. I try to redirect with a toy but she looks at my feet, looks at the toy, and decides "yup, feet." She's a million times better than when I first got her, but sometimes she's still crazy.

Mine took it as a challenge until I changed the nozzle to a stream so narrow that I could probably shoot him from like twenty feet away. He cares about it now because I can routinely nail him from across the room when he's being a real pain in the butt.

Haha my boyfriend will be working from home when I start vet school, and I told him I'll get him a supersoaker for protection.

She's really good 99% of the time, but every so often she gets super hyper and races through the house biting everything and everyone in her path, before finding something to scratch (unfortunately, not always one of the many scratchers I have for her). I think I need to play with her more, but she'll show zero interest in playing and then go on one of her rampages.

She's about 9 years old now and I'm happy she's healthy and active, but I don't think I'll mind when she slows down just a little...

Reactions: 3 users
Yessss. I feel guilty using a spray bottle because I know positive reinforcement is best, but if she's attacking my feet, I don't know what else to do. I try to redirect with a toy but she looks at my feet, looks at the toy, and decides "yup, feet." She's a million times better than when I first got her, but sometimes she's still crazy.

Haha my boyfriend will be working from home when I start vet school, and I told him I'll get him a supersoaker for protection.

She's really good 99% of the time, but every so often she gets super hyper and races through the house biting everything and everyone in her path, before finding something to scratch (unfortunately, not always one of the many scratchers I have for her). I think I need to play with her more, but she'll show zero interest in playing and then go on one of her rampages.

She's about 9 years old now and I'm happy she's healthy and active, but I don't think I'll mind when she slows down just a little...
When my cat gets hyper he backflips off the walls lol

Reactions: 4 users
Going to Florida tomorrow so my female gpig decides this would be the perfect time to have a flair up of her urinary issues. Luckily she's peeing well today with possibly some hematuria and eating/pooping fine.

Likely going to med board her anyway at work and start her on some gaba and prazosin just in case

Going to Florida tomorrow so my female gpig decides this would be the perfect time to have a flair up of her urinary issues. Luckily she's peeing well today with possibly some hematuria and eating/pooping fine.

Likely going to med board her anyway at work and start her on some gaba and prazosin just in case
Hope your gpig feels better!

My kitty is hyperthyroid and has bladder stones and a kidney infection. :( So that sucks, but it's nice to finally have a diagnosis. She got another Cerenia injection and a Convenia injection today, we're running a urine culture to make sure the Convenia will take care of the infection, and I've got buprenorphine and a script for mirtazapine for her. Right now we're focusing on getting her eating again and making sure the vomiting's under control, and then we'll decide how to treat her bladder stones and thyroid. It's a bit overwhelming, but at least she waited to get sick until I'm in vet school and around all these great doctors!

Reactions: 8 users
My kitty is hyperthyroid and has bladder stones and a kidney infection. :( So that sucks, but it's nice to finally have a diagnosis. She got another Cerenia injection and a Convenia injection today, we're running a urine culture to make sure the Convenia will take care of the infection, and I've got buprenorphine and a script for mirtazapine for her. Right now we're focusing on getting her eating again and making sure the vomiting's under control, and then we'll decide how to treat her bladder stones and thyroid. It's a bit overwhelming, but at least she waited to get sick until I'm in vet school and around all these great doctors!
I'm sorry Lyra<3
I'm glad you're able to get her great care through the school
*hugs*

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Looking for suggestions: One of my cats has become a holy terror at night. I haven't slept through the night at all this semester.

Basically, as soon as I fall asleep, she starts scratching at any door she can (I have 4 closets and then the bedroom door). I try to avoid leaving my bedroom open because my other cat is a 3AM howler and he'll wake my roommates up (he doesn't howl in my room). Even if I do leave the door open, she scratches against the open door. When she scratches in the middle of the night, I open the door and she doesn't even leave my room most of the time. She's also taken to intentionally spilling my water on my nightstand to wake me up at 4AM, so I've had to eliminate that temptation.

No litterbox issues or anything, but I've noticed her and her brother have been bickering and fighting more often. The other cat usually initiates. Not sure if that's even relevant.

My bedroom is pretty big, there's a large cat stand and many toys in it, etc. I feel like she shouldn't be doing it just for fun. I get that she's probably manipulating me, but I just can't figure out why and what I can do to break the cycle. She doesn't scratch doors at my parents' house. I'm planning on moving in with my SO this summer and he's already said he won't tolerate her waking him up every night (I wouldn't get rid of her, but I would like to solve the problem obvi). She knows she's doing something she's not supposed to because when I get out of bed, she does her guilty face and runs.

Ideas?

Last edited:
Hope your kitty begins to feel better. It's comforting to know you're both around great DVMs; everyone will be helping your cat feel better.

Reactions: 1 user
Looking for suggestions: One of my cats has become a holy terror at night. I haven't slept through the night at all this semester.

Basically, as soon as I fall asleep, she starts scratching at any door she can (I have 4 closets and then the bedroom door). I try to avoid leaving my bedroom open because my other cat is a 3AM howler and he'll wake my roommates up (he doesn't howl in my room). Even if I do leave the door open, she scratches against the open door. When she scratches in the middle of the night, I open the door and she doesn't even leave my room most of the time. She's also taken to intentionally spilling my water on my nightstand to wake me up at 4AM, so I've had to eliminate that temptation.

No litterbox issues or anything, but I've noticed her and her brother have been bickering and fighting more often. The other cat usually initiates. Not sure if that's even relevant.

My bedroom is pretty big, there's a large cat stand and many toys in it, etc. I feel like she shouldn't be doing it just for fun. I get that she's probably manipulating me, but I just can't figure out why and what I can do to break a cycle. She doesn't scratch doors at my parents' house. I'm planning on moving in with my SO this summer and he's already said he won't tolerate her waking him up every night (I wouldn't get rid of her, but I would like to solve the problem obvi). She knows she's doing something she's not supposed to because when I get out of bed, she does her guilty face and runs.

Ideas?
If there is no underlying organicity (make sure to rule-out), and the issue is presumably behavioral:

1. It is possible your cat wants/needs to "claim" her territorial space. For that reason, she may be bickering with her cat-brother more often (plus he is already initiating aggressive behavior toward her) and scratching on your doors. Stress-related issue/feline territorial issue. Especially since she is scratching on your bedroom doors at night (and not on other doors in your household).

Your bedroom is likely identified as familiar home turf; whereas your parents' home is not "her" home turf, and they are not "her" cat parents. So, it is not surprising to learn she doesn't scratch on the doors in your parents' home or on your roommates' doors. It sounds as if your household is pretty full - with roommates and other cats. Pheromone is located in glands on the pads of your cat's paws - to mark "her" territory - so when your cat scratches on the doors in your bedroom, she is marking "her" territory. Scratch-scratch-scratch - this is "my" space and I need to claim some territorial space just for "me."

2. Have you considered some additional one-on-one quality time and/or enrichment for your cat? It's worth noting your cat runs away when her scratching behavior causes you to get out of bed (presumably to confront her unwelcome scratching behavior). Does your cat have access to a vertical cat scratching post? Some cat owners have placed two-sided sticky tape on their doors to discourage unwelcome scratching behavior. It might be worth a try (unless the issue is strictly a "territorial" issue).

3. Like many humans, cats grow bored and become easily bored with the same old cat toys (as well as an absence of one-on-one quality time with their primary care givers). This is especially true when cats are in the mood to be "social" with their beloved cat parent and expect your undivided attention. You know ... pay attention to "me" right now. Some undivided one-on-one "me" attention before you go to bed at night and/or extra enrichment might help.

Of course, I defer to the comments/ideas from everyone else in the veterinary forum - many veterinary posters are well-qualified feline experts. :cat:

My bedroom is pretty big, there's a large cat stand and many toys in it, etc. I feel like she shouldn't be doing it just for fun. I get that she's probably manipulating me, but I just can't figure out why and what I can do to break the cycle. She doesn't scratch doors at my parents' house. I'm planning on moving in with my SO this summer and he's already said he won't tolerate her waking him up every night (I wouldn't get rid of her, but I would like to solve the problem obvi). She knows she's doing something she's not supposed to because when I get out of bed, she does her guilty face and runs.

Ideas?
My one cat can be the same way with scratching at the door, and I started keeping a squirt bottle next to my bed and I squirt him when he's being a turd. I haven't needed to use it in probably about a year. I also just sprayed it in his general direction, since it is dark when he's doing it.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear, but at least you got a diagnosis! I'll be keeping you and your kitty in my thoughts, hope she gets to feeling better soon.

Ideas?
One of my cats does the same thing, he also knocks stuff off of my nightstand while I sleep. He only acts like that at night while I'm asleep. Somebody already suggested it but the only way I can get him to stop is to keep a spray bottle next to my bed at night and use it when needed. A lot of times I'll just shake the bottle and he'll stop whatever he's doing.

One of my cats does the same thing, he also knocks stuff off of my nightstand while I sleep. He only acts like that at night while I'm asleep. Somebody already suggested it but the only way I can get him to stop is to keep a spray bottle next to my bed at night and use it when needed. A lot of times I'll just shake the bottle and he'll stop whatever he's doing.
Sometimes I just have to reach for it and he immediately stops.

Reactions: 1 users
If there is no underlying organicity (make sure to rule-out), and the issue is presumably behavioral:

1. It is possible your cat wants/needs to "claim" her territorial space. For that reason, she may be bickering with her cat-brother more often (plus he is already initiating aggressive behavior toward her) and scratching on your doors. Stress-related issue/feline territorial issue. Especially since she is scratching on your bedroom doors at night (and not on other doors in your household).

Your bedroom is likely identified as familiar home turf; whereas your parents' home is not "her" home turf, and they are not "her" cat parents. So, it is not surprising to learn she doesn't scratch on the doors in your parents' home or on your roommates' doors. It sounds as if your household is pretty full - with roommates and other cats. Pheromone is located in glands on the pads of your cat's paws - to mark "her" territory - so when your cat scratches on the doors in your bedroom, she is marking "her" territory. Scratch-scratch-scratch - this is "my" space and I need to claim some territorial space just for "me."

2. Have you considered some additional one-on-one quality time and/or enrichment for your cat? It's worth noting your cat runs away when her scratching behavior causes you to get out of bed (presumably to confront her unwelcome scratching behavior). Does your cat have access to a vertical cat scratching post? Some cat owners have placed two-sided sticky tape on their doors to discourage unwelcome scratching behavior. It might be worth a try (unless the issue is strictly a "territorial" issue).

3. Like many humans, cats grow bored and become easily bored with the same old cat toys (as well as an absence of one-on-one quality time with their primary care givers). This is especially true when cats are in the mood to be "social" with their beloved cat parent and expect your undivided attention. You know ... pay attention to "me" right now. Some undivided one-on-one "me" attention before you go to bed at night and/or extra enrichment might help.

Of course, I defer to the comments/ideas from everyone else in the veterinary forum - many veterinary posters are well-qualified feline experts. :cat:
Thanks for the feedback, and thanks everyone else!

I feel that we already get decent time together since she follows me wherever I go (she's the type who is at my feet when I'm in the bathroom, waits for me outside of the shower, etc.). She also seems to really panic when we're accidentally separated by a closed door. Perhaps it's more than the nosiness I've been chalking it up to. She has a bit of a sketchy past...she was a stray who was kept in a garage by a well-meaning client, but her husband is an abusive nutjob and we were told he threatened to kill the cat if she didn't let it go. Luckily the woman brought her to my job. I think her past plays a lot into her current fear of men. It took her a while to get the courage to walk past my dad.

They've got a very tall cat tree (with ample scratching surface) and a smaller cat condo thing to scratch. And yeah, including her, there's 3 cats in a decent sized condo. My cat is a bit territorial with my roommate's cat, but it's never resulted in serious fighting, just chasing. It's funny that she's claiming doors by scratching, because then she also must be claiming the framed poster I have above my nightstand

I've never even thought of double sided tape, that's a good idea. I just want to solve the root cause. I'll give Feliway another shot (I have never had good luck with it in the past) and see how it goes. That stuff is just so darn expensive.

Why do you guys think my two cats bicker and wrestle with each other but not my roommate's cat? I mean my male won't even react to her walking by, they're on good terms. My female will chase her and try to play, but the third cat won't have it. My roommate's cat doesn't even like when my female looks at her..she starts howling.

Thanks for the feedback, and thanks everyone else!

I feel that we already get decent time together since she follows me wherever I go (she's the type who is at my feet when I'm in the bathroom, waits for me outside of the shower, etc.). She also seems to really panic when we're accidentally separated by a closed door. Perhaps it's more than the nosiness I've been chalking it up to. She has a bit of a sketchy past...she was a stray who was kept in a garage by a well-meaning client, but her husband is an abusive nutjob and we were told he threatened to kill the cat if she didn't let it go. Luckily the woman brought her to my job. I think her past plays a lot into her current fear of men. It took her a while to get the courage to walk past my dad.

They've got a very tall cat tree (with ample scratching surface) and a smaller cat condo thing to scratch. And yeah, including her, there's 3 cats in a decent sized condo. My cat is a bit territorial with my roommate's cat, but it's never resulted in serious fighting, just chasing. It's funny that she's claiming doors by scratching, because then she also must be claiming the framed poster I have above my nightstand

I've never even thought of double sided tape, that's a good idea. I just want to solve the root cause. I'll give Feliway another shot (I have never had good luck with it in the past) and see how it goes. That stuff is just so darn expensive.

Why do you guys think my two cats bicker and wrestle with each other but not my roommate's cat? I mean my male won't even react to her walking by, they're on good terms. My female will chase her and try to play, but the third cat won't have it. My roommate's cat doesn't even like when my female looks at her..she starts howling.
As mentioned by @dyachei above, it sounds as if your cat might be presenting with some form of inter-cat aggression directed toward her cat-brother. She may be claiming "territorial space" for herself, and against her cat-brother, who is also competing for your attention (because he is your other companion cat).

It doesn't sound as if your cat feels the need to compete with your roommate's cat. Your roommate's cat is not "your" companion cat. Instead, your cat is "your" companion cat, and as your companion cat, she may have decided she needs to stake some "space" in your bedroom. She may also associate fixed objects in your bedroom directly with you (e.g., with your physical presence and your scent).

Many cats do not like the pesky "sticky" feeling of sticky tape under their paws. So, for that reason, I suggested double-sided sticky tape. Plus, sticky tape does not cause any physical harm to a cat's paws or to the cat's sense of security (e.g., sticky tape does not strike the cat in the face or harm her paws unless she has contact dermatitis, or something like that). Hopefully, a roll of double-sided sticky tape is not super-expensive. So, a roll of sticky tape might be worth a "test" run on 1-or-2 doors in your bedroom. Just saying.

In general, it sounds as if your cat is distressed/marking/claiming some territory by using the pheromones on the pads of her paws by scratching on doors in your bedroom. However, that is only my objective thought at this time.

I believe many cats can be exceedingly challenging to study, analyze, interpret and figure out. However, your cat's behavior (if it is not related to any underlying organicity) may be diagnostic - although you can't simply "ask" your cat to explain what's going on with her (unless you're Dr. Dolittle)! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hope your gpig feels better!

Thanks! She's reportedly doing well. I don't get daily updates since she's a med board, but my friends are watching her so I check in with them. No more hematuria as of last night and she's eating and pooping well! And my male gpig is doing okay too. I woke up for my flight a little concerned because there were only 3 poops in the cage and I was worried he was going to go into GI stasis because he was sad about being away from her (he loves her, she tolerates him) but he's pooping well now too.

Thanks! She's reportedly doing well. I don't get daily updates since she's a med board, but my friends are watching her so I check in with them. No more hematuria as of last night and she's eating and pooping well! And my male gpig is doing okay too. I woke up for my flight a little concerned because there were only 3 poops in the cage and I was worried he was going to go into GI stasis because he was sad about being away from her (he loves her, she tolerates him) but he's pooping well now too.
@orca2011, thanks for sharing the good news!

It sounds as if your female gpig is recovering well and should be as good as new when you see her again. Glad to hear there is no more hematuria; and her appetite and elimination has been good. Both of your little gpigs sound adorable!

I don't know where you're flying today - but have a great flight - and enjoy your business trip or personal holiday knowing your gpigs will be fine!

@orca2011, thanks for sharing the good news!

It sounds as if your female gpig is recovering well and should be as good as new when you see her again. Glad to hear there is no more hematuria; and her appetite and elimination has been good. Both of your little gpigs sound adorable!

I don't know where you're flying today - but have a great flight - and enjoy your business trip or personal holiday knowing your gpigs will be fine!

The piggins say thank you! And I'm relaxing in sunny, warm Florida. I was going to go to NAVC but didn't get the time confirmed off until January and then by that point my friend couldn't go anymore and in hindsight I couldn't really afford it. So I ended up using the time to visit some relatives instead.

Attachments

• mowgli and solstice.jpg
    mowgli and solstice.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: 7 users
Sometimes I want to sell this little butthead to the highest bidder. Six months old is a very trying time for all of us.

Reactions: 12 users
My Moo ❤❤❤❤❤

Attachments

• IMG_0421.jpg
    IMG_0421.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: 11 users
Yall don't know what you're getting yourself into!

When biting is his first reaction to new things....

I love tollers but know that my lifestyle is pretty much diametrically opposed to what they usually need to stay sane. :p I wish I liked more complete and utter lazy bum dog breeds.