All About Our Pets(Pics, Advice, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I taught her how to sign for food. She loves for me to throw her food so she can chase and eat it... piece by piece. I started signing eat before throwing it and she has started to do it. Food motivation hahah. I know either @cdoconn @SkiOtter or @WildZoo took a screenshot of it. I'm not on mobile so maybe one of them can help? :love:
Dis one?
image.png

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I can't handle how cute this is. So polite! Her little white paws look like dainty gloves :love:

@Balesofhay does she stay in this position 99% of the time? (My cat would.) Do you always feed her when she does this?
She doesn't hold the pose. I'll post it from my phone in a minute if I can get it to work. She just started doing this yesterday though so not exactly eat... more of a combo of eat and more (the two paws together is more and the one paw to mouth is eat). I'm doing a fixed interval kind of training but already switching to variable interval because she does it a lot now when she wants to play (Yay for actually learning in animal behavior this semester). She has free choice dry food so she can always go eat the food itself but this is obviously more fun.

JK it won't let me

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
My roommate just finished writing a seven page paper about my cat for her behavior class. :p

I say this is his fault for being such a bad kitten

Reactions: 8 users
ImageUploadedBySDN1493003690.844850.jpg

Free to any home. One fence jumping, dirty pond swimming, frog chasing, butterfly killing puppy. Not only does she jump the pond fence but she can scale the 4ft. electrified fence as well.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Guysguysguys my mama hen has hatched out at least three little peeps from my friend's flock today :love:

View attachment 218311
:love:I love broody hens hatching babies. We still have 2 silkie-mutt hens that were a surprise hatch a couple years ago--now one of them is the main incubator.

My mom doesn't want ours to hatch any more chicks and collects eggs from under them immediately, but she decided to put the duck's eggs under them instead. When I last visited home a couple weeks ago, I candled everything and the duck eggs were progressing! But I visited this weekend and when I asked about them, she said that a while back my dad collected everything from under the hens, including the duck eggs, ugghh. They sat out at room temperature for at least a day before getting returned, so don't know how much that will affect their chances.

Reactions: 1 user
My kitty needed an emergency surgery today for a linear foreign body. Good vibes and thoughts are appreciated :(

Reactions: 1 users
My kitty needed an emergency surgery today for a linear foreign body. Good vibes and thoughts are appreciated :(

Sending many happy thoughts to you and your kitty! Hoping for a fast and complete recovery :cat:

@serher ... sending your kitty lots of good thoughts and soft hugs. Hope she recovers quickly! Let us know how's she's doing.

getwell.gif

Sorry to hear this @serher I went through the whole foreign body thing with my cat back in January, so I totally understand! Here's to healing:) Keep us updated!

:love:I love broody hens hatching babies. We still have 2 silkie-mutt hens that were a surprise hatch a couple years ago--now one of them is the main incubator.

My mom doesn't want ours to hatch any more chicks and collects eggs from under them immediately, but she decided to put the duck's eggs under them instead. When I last visited home a couple weeks ago, I candled everything and the duck eggs were progressing! But I visited this weekend and when I asked about them, she said that a while back my dad collected everything from under the hens, including the duck eggs, ugghh. They sat out at room temperature for at least a day before getting returned, so don't know how much that will affect their chances.

We don't have any boys in my group so she was fruitlessly sitting. I could NOT break her so I asked my friend down the street how has a bunch if she'd mind me taking some to see if they'd hatch. Five total (one pipped but didn't make it); Mama had them exploring the coop this AM and a few came to eat out of my hand :)

Reactions: 3 users

Thanks for the good thoughts you guys :) For those who wanted an update about my kitty, surgery went well. Luckily it was caught early enough that there wasn't any intestinal damage. I would like to say that this would keep her from eating random crap again, but she's already tried to eat things since surgery :rolleyes:

Reactions: 11 users
Thanks for the good thoughts you guys :) For those who wanted an update about my kitty, surgery went well. Luckily it was caught early enough that there wasn't any intestinal damage. I would like to say that this would keep her from eating random crap again, but she's already tried to eat things since surgery :rolleyes:

So glad she's doing well. No, they definitely do not learn at all in the slightest:confused:

:laugh: it's so nice to know someone that also deals with this level of crazy!
We had a house cat where I used to work that had three FB surgeries within ~2 years. We're not even sure how she got to some of the stuff since we started being more careful after the 1st surgery, and even more careful after the 2nd. She had a thing for the broom bristles especially. She also has minor cerebellar hypoplasia and almost died as a kitten, so her elevator doesn't got all the way to the top floor.

Reactions: 2 users
My pup Gidget waiting for a cheeseburger on my mom's lap after her first chemo treatment :laugh:
IMG_1048.JPG

Reactions: 7 users
I've seen it, I just don't wholeheartedly agree with it.
well, I don't wholeheartedly agree with children getting salmonella from their pets.

the likelihood is that your cat's IBD resolved because they were allergic to an ingredient in the previous diet. I doubt that cooking your cat's food (as it is now) would cause the IBD to come back, but it would be safer for you and your family.

cats and dogs don't often show signs but can shed diseases.

It's an important topic in vet med right now, and a good one to get a handle on

Reactions: 6 users
well, I don't wholeheartedly agree with children getting salmonella from their pets.

the likelihood is that your cat's IBD resolved because they were allergic to an ingredient in the previous diet. I doubt that cooking your cat's food (as it is now) would cause the IBD to come back, but it would be safer for you and your family.

cats and dogs don't often show signs but can shed diseases.

It's an important topic in vet med right now, and a good one to get a handle on
I don't have children and children have never interacted with my cats. Children are just (if not more) likely to be exposed to harmful bacteria from kibble. They weren't allergic to any ingredient in their previous foods. And yes, if he is given other food, he returns to having bloody diarrhea. I have a very good handle on the topic.

I don't have children and children have never interacted with my cats. Children are just (if not more) likely to be exposed to harmful bacteria from kibble. They weren't allergic to any ingredient in their previous foods. And yes, if he is given other food, he returns to having bloody diarrhea. I have a very good handle on the topic.
actually, that isn't true. kibble has a much lower rate of e. coli and salmonella, and this has been proven

I didn't say give him other food. I said cook the now raw food you give him.

actually, that isn't true. kibble has a much lower rate of e. coli and salmonella, and this has been proven

I didn't say give him other food. I said cook the now raw food you give him.
I'm wondering if you have read the AVMA or CDC info. Young children are advised not to be around any pet food, raw or not. If you kept them away from raw and used the same precautions, there would be no more of a problem with raw then kibble.

You can't cook raw food that contains bone as it cooks the bone and cause it to splinter when eaten which can be a real health problem. Raw bone is safe to feed but cooked is not.

I'm wondering if you have read the AVMA or CDC info. Young children are advised not to be around any pet food, raw or not. If you kept them away from raw and used the same precautions, there would be no more of a problem with raw then kibble.

You can't cook raw food that contains bone as it cooks the bone and cause it to splinter when eaten which can be a real health problem. Raw bone is safe to feed but cooked is not.
no bone is "safe". Raw may not fracture as easily, but I've had to remove multi-rooted teeth as a result of fractures there. Many were due to being given raw bones. In any case, you can remove whole bone and grind it if desired. A cooked diet has less public health risk and is likely just as good for your cat.

making proclamations about curing diseases with a diet is anecdotal evidence at best. especially when a home cooked diet may be just as effective with less risk. In either case, home made diets are difficult for even many vets to balance appropriately. I'm glad your cat has found relief.

I have absolutely read both, but the incidence of disease is MUCH higher in raw diets. They have proven it over and over again

You probably shouldn't argue with a vet about pet health TBH........

no bone is "safe". Raw may not fracture as easily, but I've had to remove multi-rooted teeth as a result of fractures there. Many were due to being given raw bones. In any case, you can remove whole bone and grind it if desired. A cooked diet has less public health risk and is likely just as good for your cat.

making proclamations about curing diseases with a diet is anecdotal evidence at best. especially when a home cooked diet may be just as effective with less risk. In either case, home made diets are difficult for even many vets to balance appropriately. I'm glad your cat has found relief.

I have absolutely read both, but the incidence of disease is MUCH higher in raw diets. They have proven it over and over again
The bone he gets is ground. It's just another thing you have made an assumption about... and cooking raw can cause other issues like degrading vitamins, particularly in offal. This can actually make the balanced raw food not balanced.

And my point is that children should not be able to play around and touch pet food regardless of whether it is raw or not because both can contain things that would make them sick. At that point, it becomes mute whether one has higher concentrations of pathogens or not. I would wager raw feeders who have kids would possibly be more diligent about keeping them away from the raw food then kibble feeders because they dont know the danger.

Possibly the reason that there aren't a lot of studies on the efficacy of raw for curing ailment is because the majority of dog and cat food nutrition studies are funded by pet food corporations?

they are free to discuss it, Ski. I'm just pointing out that there are more issues with raw diets than raw feeders like to admit
Never said they couldn't discuss it, just saying they shouldn't try and say you're wrong or uninformed, since only one of the two of you are the qualified professional.

You probably shouldn't argue with a vet about pet health TBH........
Are you of the opinion that everything a vet said should be taken as 100% correct? Because there are a lot of vets who encourage and promote raw diets. And I really don't see this discussion as arguing tbh.

Are you of the opinion that everything a vet said should be taken as 100% correct? Because there are a lot of vets who encourage and promote raw diets. And I really don't see this discussion as arguing tbh.
there aren't "a lot" of vets. there are a few.

and yes, cooking can degrade some vitamins and it is therefore advisable to add them after.

the part about nutrition...well, that starts to get into conspiracy theory territory. Let me just start by saying that my nutrition education was not funded by pet food companies. We discussed BARF diets in detail. I'd love to see a study. However, you have to convince IACUC on animal safety when doing research on animals. And there *is* a risk of increased disease.

and I'd also like to see a study on cooked diets vs raw. Raw feeders tend to be a little single-minded about their approach to food. I tend to keep an open mind about nutrition, personally. This is just 1 place where i'm a little less open.

even if you don't have kids, it puts you at risk. if your cat goes outdoors at all and defecates, it puts other animals at risk. I'd rather mitigate damage from a public health standpoint and feed a cooked diet that will likely have the same effect than feed raw.