All About Our Pets(Pics, Advice, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My goofball of a dog likes to ball up the blanket he's sleeping on and make it into a tiny throne. I was laying on my bed and I heard a weird sound and a single bark.

Simba had balled the blanket too close to the edge of the bed and toppled over the bed, blanket and all.

Look at this dork. (Yes, I checked that he was okay before taking picture)

View attachment 221856

"I appear to have gotten stuck."
He's too precious for his own good.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
freaked out about starting med school next week = lots of extra cat snuggles this week

Reactions: 6 users
I have a female cat who weighs around 10 pounds.

I'm thinking about purchasing a crate for her (in case I need to keep her confined for a while in an emergency).

I'd like to get a crate that is reputable (i.e., made well), easy to use, and sufficiently spacious so my cat wouldn't feel cramped for space; maybe 36-inches or 42-inches in size.

Questions:

1. Does anyone have experience with crate sizes and cats?

2. Any comments about "Midwest" brand crates?

The Midwest crates are nice, but I agree with nyanko - I'd prefer a different style for a cat. The airline style ones (provided she fits comfortably, can turn around, etc) are fine but I've seen a couple of these style crates that are nicer for longer periods (double check measurements before buying because they do make dog sized ones!).

Just as a disclaimer, I don't have any particular brand preferences or retailer preferences, this is just an example of a style/type.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone on here have dogs while in vet school? I've searched through threads but still want to know other opinions. I'm looking at adopting a teaching dog at the end of first year. She's a 1 year old lab, potty trained, and extremely laid back and sweet. My apartment allows dogs and has a small fenced in community dog yard. I was probably going to take her on a 30-45 min walk before class and play off leash after class.. take her to daycare once a week and may pay for someone to come and walk her around lunch time a couple times a week. Would this be enough exercise? Just covering all my bases before I commit. I don't want to let this dog go. I have fallen in love with her. My parents live a couple hours away so if need be I'm sure they would watch her and I would take her home with me on breaks.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Anyone on here have dogs while in vet school? I've searched through threads but still want to know other opinions. I'm looking at adopting a teaching dog at the end of first year. She's a 1 year old lab, potty trained, and extremely laid back and sweet. My apartment allows dogs and has a small fenced in community dog yard. I was probably going to take her on a 30-45 min walk before class and play off leash after class.. take her to daycare once a week and may pay for someone to come and walk her around lunch time a couple times a week. Would this be enough exercise? Just covering all my bases before I commit. I don't want to let this dog go. I have fallen in love with her. My parents live a couple hours away so if need be I'm sure they would watch her and I would take her home with me on breaks.

Oooh have you seen this thread? I know it helped me when I was thinking about getting a dog.

Oooh have you seen this thread? I know it helped me when I was thinking about getting a dog.

Yes I have! I was just wanting some reassurance on my own situation. Are you still planning on getting a dog? I'm hoping that since she's so laid back she will sleep most of the day.

Yes I have! I was just wanting some reassurance on my own situation. Are you still planning on getting a dog? I'm hoping that since she's so laid back she will sleep most of the day.
I want to, but I'm not going to. :(

Personally, I know that I wouldn't be able to give a dog the attention it deserved. I live alone- I don't like waking up early, I wouldn't have lots of time to take it for walks/ to the park. I didn't plan on going home for lunch, I like staying at school to study/ not being home, and I don't have a job to afford one. I'll miss not having one, but it's the best decision for me to not get one (at this time- if I get a house with a backyard it's a different story). Other people (@Karabiner13 and @JaynaAli immediately come to mind) did well with dogs.

Part of it will depend on the dog and how much exercise they need (each dog is different) but honestly what you've outlined sounds good from my end. My ball of energy aka husky-lab mix survived pretty well on weekly training classes (obedience, advanced obedience, flyball) and a daily long walk or run at the dog park. Honestly I think the best thing for us was doing the training classes once a week - it forced us to work on his mental skills and bond together. Since I was paying for it it forced me to do it every week and I honestly think it did a lot for him. Now I feel comfortable walking around with him off leash (not on walks or anything but when on private land), been able to call him off a bunny chase, and just feel like it did a lot for us. I am rambling now and probably not adding anything but yeah, I think what you've listed would be enough exercise, but also consider the mental energy burn :)

Reactions: 2 users
Part of it will depend on the dog and how much exercise they need (each dog is different) but honestly what you've outlined sounds good from my end. My ball of energy aka husky-lab mix survived pretty well on weekly training classes (obedience, advanced obedience, flyball) and a daily long walk or run at the dog park. Honestly I think the best thing for us was doing the training classes once a week - it forced us to work on his mental skills and bond together. Since I was paying for it it forced me to do it every week and I honestly think it did a lot for him. Now I feel comfortable walking around with him off leash (not on walks or anything but when on private land), been able to call him off a bunny chase, and just feel like it did a lot for us. I am rambling now and probably not adding anything but yeah, I think what you've listed would be enough exercise, but also consider the mental energy burn :)

No this is very helpful! There's a Canine Academy very close to me that does obedience training and playgroups (really looking into that for the weekends)! With everything else though not sure I can afford an obedience class but we will see at that point. Maybe a birthday present. And I agree it depends totally on the dog. So far she seems really easy going and gentle.

freaked out about starting med school next week = lots of extra cat snuggles this week
My cat is sending lots of comforting cat purrs to you.
You'll be fine.
purring cat.gif

I adopted my Aussie mix the summer between 1st and 2nd year. She was 1-2 years at the time, house trained, and knew some commands. She's super smart so when I didn't have a friend for her we had to make sure to do activities that would mentally challenge her or she would find ways to entertain herself that weren't the best (getting into the trash, destroying her cardboard toy box, picking a DVD box to chew which was thankfully mine, etc). I have a fenced in backyard and since the start of 2nd year I've had roommates who have dogs. Having dog friends makes a big difference with her. I've pretty much determined that if I ever live alone I will have to get another dog. Having roommates is nice, especially in clinics, because we can help each other out with dog care. Pretty much though, the dogs are gated into the living room in the morning until we get home in the afternoon/evening. When I want to go home for breaks, I drop my dog off at my grandparent's which is a couple hours away and then fly out of the airport that is near them. They love having her visit so much my grandfather tends to call me more to see how my dog is doing than how I am doing. It sounds like you've got a good plan and you're teaching dog would be lucky to have you as her human.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I adopted my Aussie mix the summer between 1st and 2nd year. She was 1-2 years at the time, house trained, and knew some commands. She's super smart so when I didn't have a friend for her we had to make sure to do activities that would mentally challenge her or she would find ways to entertain herself that weren't the best (getting into the trash, destroying her cardboard toy box, picking a DVD box to chew which was thankfully mine, etc). I have a fenced in backyard and since the start of 2nd year I've had roommates who have dogs. Having dog friends makes a big difference with her. I've pretty much determined that if I ever live alone I will have to get another dog. Having roommates is nice, especially in clinics, because we can help each other out with dog care. Pretty much though, the dogs are gated into the living room in the morning until we get home in the afternoon/evening. When I want to go home for breaks, I drop my dog off at my grandparent's which is a couple hours away and then fly out of the airport that is near them. They love having her visit so much my grandfather tends to call me more to see how my dog is doing than how I am doing. It sounds like you've got a good plan and you're teaching dog would be lucky to have you as her human.

This sounds like good advice, but I don't think I can trust it without a photo. (Or I just think Aussie mixes are really cute!)

Thanks so much! This is really helpful. Unfortunately my chances of adopting her are not too good now. The person in charge said not to get too attached since there are a lot of good dogs... and that due to our larger class size they are assigning dogs differently so it looks like I won't be in her group. She told me it was unfair to the other students that I have access to housing (I check on lab pigs housed right next to the teaching dogs). So I just told the person that I'll stay away and have no interaction with any dogs until school starts. I was so excited because I thought I bonded with her so well. :( She probably does that with every person though. Sure put a damp on my spirit.

My cow is getting close to calving... she is not impressed.
2017-08-01 17.25.22.jpg
Due date should be August 8th if she was bred on the heat cycle we think she was... the one where I honestly can't say if this is a Brown Swiss calf or an Angus cross.

Reactions: 7 users
Thanks so much! This is really helpful. Unfortunately my chances of adopting her are not too good now. The person in charge said not to get too attached since there are a lot of good dogs... and that due to our larger class size they are assigning dogs differently so it looks like I won't be in her group. She told me it was unfair to the other students that I have access to housing (I check on lab pigs housed right next to the teaching dogs). So I just told the person that I'll stay away and have no interaction with any dogs until school starts. I was so excited because I thought I bonded with her so well. :( She probably does that with every person though. Sure put a damp on my spirit.
Aw, I'm sorry cheat :(

Aw, I'm sorry cheat :(

Thanks ski! I can still adopt her but I'm just going to have to make time outside of class... and look at all the dogs that come in... but I just can't get my blonde friend out of my head. :)

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
My cats are all packed up and ready for the move.

Reactions: 9 users
oh good!!!!!!!! you're finally shipping one to me!!!!!!! I'll be waiting for him. My address is 1234 Internet Street. THANKS
He'll be there in 3-5 days. Good luck!

For the people with long haired pets, is there a vacuum you would recommend?

I have a Riccar upright. I love it. I loved it more when I had a house with carpet. Now that I mostly have hard floor it's a little unwieldy but still does a great job. I got a good deal - it was about the same cost as most of the dysons which I hate because they don't have bags. I was a dork and went to a real vacuum store to play with some.

If you're looking for a hand vac, the Pet Hair Eraser is pretty awesome.

I'm getting a robovac soon and I'm suuuper excited.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

My girl isn't long-haired but I've been really happy with my Bissell lithium-battery handheld Pet Hair Eraser as a cordless option. My big vacuum is one I pulled out of the trash and fixed.

If you're looking for a hand vac, the Pet Hair Eraser is pretty awesome.

I'm getting a robovac soon and I'm suuuper excited.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

My girl isn't long-haired but I've been really happy with my Bissell lithium-battery handheld Pet Hair Eraser as a cordless option. My big vacuum is one I pulled out of the trash and fixed.
I'm more so looking for an upright vacuum since my entire carpet gets covered in cat hair. I'll look into the Bissell upright pet hair eraser through.

I'm more so looking for an upright vacuum since my entire carpet gets covered in cat hair. I'll look into the Bissell upright pet hair eraser through.
I think there's an upright in the same line, and that might be the one trashpanda was talking about.

So I have the whole birth of my calf on my Facebook page for those interested. The story is fun!

It rained all morning and when I went to check on her, she was hiding in the trees and moaning softly. One of my neighbor's angus cows was standing watch for her too.

Then the rain stopped and everybody went out to pasture like nothing was going on. A few hours went by, I gave up and was gonna head to the store, but decided to check on her real quick first.

I found her in another copse of trees. Birth had started with the membrane and what looked like 2 little hooves and a nose contained inside sticking out. She went through delivery mostly laying down, but still pretty fast. The membrane had split below the umbilical cord, exposing the calves hind end and leaving his face covered. He tossed his head a few times, but couldn't get it off. Mom was still laid out flat. I gave mom a little time, but as the calf made less movement, pulled the calf toward me a few inches and split the membrane over his face. I cleared his airways, even having to scoop mucus from his tongue and throat. As soon as I got him breathing on his own, I backed off and let him sneeze it out. Momma didn't get up until he kicked her a few times sneezing. (I'm glad I was there!)

She cleaned him off the rest of the way. When I came back a bit later, he had milk foam all over his mouth and I checked each teat with him racing my hand around the udder.

She hid him most of the next day. When she finally brought him out, I was a little nervous she would be hormonal and not let me close, but I greeted her first, gave her neck a scratch, checked her udder, and just stood talking to her. Little Ribeye came dancing around from the other side and stopped in his tracks a few feet away. He bawled at momma Vivienne and she looked up from grazing. She looked at me, looked at him, and back again and then bunted him toward me softly to say, "she's fine." So I got to scritch his head and walk away grinning.

Meet Ribeye:
FB_IMG_1502129900056.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
Sooooo Manny fractured the top of his C5 vertebra yesterday. Prognosis is not looking good... He will probably be pasture comfortable but it is very very unlikely he'll return to being a riding horse. Feeling super sad for my little nugget right now :(

Sooooo Manny fractured the top of his C5 vertebra yesterday. Prognosis is not looking good... He will probably be pasture comfortable but it is very very unlikely he'll return to being a riding horse. Feeling super sad for my little nugget right now :(
Oh no, I'm sorry :( how did that happen?

Oh no, I'm sorry :( how did that happen?

No idea. He was fine yesterday morning and then around lunch we saw him out in the pasture with his head down... went over to check on him and he was unwilling to lift it above his knee level and couldn't bend his neck to the right at all. Got the vet out and did some rads and discovered the fracture. Now with some painkillers on board he's looking more normal in his headset but still can't bend right. Poor kiddo :(

Oh no ... very sorry to learn about Manny's C5 fx. :(

My puppy turned 1 this past week!

I made him wear a hat:

wmtVLYgh.jpg

The next day, when we went for a walk, he found a water bottle during the first mile and carried it for the rest of the 4 miles we went. Retriever, you say?

nKASMF4h.jpg

rJ0SpqBh.jpg

EVEN when he stopped to pee he didn't drop it.

YNLHmVTh.jpg

Reactions: 15 users

I made him wear a hat:

wmtVLYgh.jpg

The next day, when we went for a walk, he found a water bottle during the first mile and carried it for the rest of the 4 miles we went. Retriever, you say?

nKASMF4h.jpg

rJ0SpqBh.jpg

YNLHmVTh.jpg
Omgggggggggg that picture of him in the hatttttttttttt
That's too freaking cute

I made him wear a hat:

Did you let him keep it when you got home? Also I love that you posted a picture of your dog peeing and all I can think is THAT'S SO CUTE.

Reactions: 5 users
So Solstice (my female piggy) now has a potential growth on her abdomen. We're sort of assuming it's a trichoepithelioma playing the odds, but obviously it was recommend to get it removed. I'd like to so I can know what I'm dealing with, but definitely worried about her post op mainly due to where the incision is located. She's a lazy pig and frequently needs butt paths due to her chronic urinary issues. I just worry the incision is going to get infected. If I had caught it earlier, I could have had my family come up with one of the old pet store cages to use as a recovery page and then I'd just go to like Salvation Army or Good Will or something and buy a bunch of old towels to use as bedding.

Anyone have experience with a post op piggy?

Finally got baby dog a teeter of her own to play on. Needless to say, she loves it

Also, my breeder knows I have puppy fever and she has two litters coming up in the next few months that are matches I really like. Ahh!

Reactions: 9 users