All About Our Pets(Pics, Advice, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
CYTOPOINT shots for atopic dermatitis have been fantastic for our papillon. When we rescued her she was chewing herself raw and a lot of her fur was rubbed off. Now she doesn't chew at all (until the shot is about to wear off) and is so much happier. Great vet-med product our vet recommended.
When this stuff works, man it works.

Members don't see this ad.

I bought Simba his first sweater yesterday, and I can’t understand why I haven’t done that before!

0B2D16AA-F2E1-4964-B1A9-B2D10751A30E.jpeg
BE18EDB8-520F-40D2-94D2-384D157A2D6A.jpeg

Reactions: 8 users
*sigh*

My childhood cat who I got as a present for my first day of kindergarten is likely getting put down on the 26th. Her name is Sassy and she's 17 now. This past weekend, she was on death's door. Not eating, peeing outside of her litter box, stopped pooping regularly. Apparently her meows were also coming out like growls, which is very unusual. That indicated to me that she was in pain. She also was not purring. That's Sassy's tell--I know she'll be OK if she starts purring the minute a human walks into the room. We were planning on putting her down before I came home for Christmas because Sassy doesn't deserve to suffer.

My mom kept me up to date with all of this as I no longer live at home with Sassy. Sassy has gone downhill before, but always gotten better. I wanted to take her to college with me but she was too old at that point and probably would've been very unhappy with the move. She's lived in my childhood home her whole life.

For some reason, she's bounced back slightly. Started eating and pooping again yesterday. She's purring again. Still no peeing in the litter box, only on pee pads. I think that's because she walks very slowly now (likely due to arthritis) and I'm guessing she can't squat anymore. My mom says she's more comfortable now and sleeping in her bed, but the peeing indicates to me that her pain is too much. We have her euthanasia scheduled for the 26th when I'll be home, but may reschedule for earlier if she goes downhill again.

This is the first time I'm going to deal with the death of a pet that is completely mine. It's going to be hard. Also if anyone has suggestions, that would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so sorry @johnnaboo
I still haven't had to deal with euthanizing a pet of my own, though I have dealt with deaths. I know it is a tough decision (one of the toughest). Try to remind yourself that it is a gift that we are able to do this for our animals so that they do not suffer needlessly. It sounds like she has a good, long life, and been well cared for by people who love her. There isn't anything much better than that, right? A life full of love and a peaceful end.

Reactions: 1 users
*sigh*

My childhood cat who I got as a present for my first day of kindergarten is likely getting put down on the 26th. Her name is Sassy and she's 17 now. This past weekend, she was on death's door. Not eating, peeing outside of her litter box, stopped pooping regularly. Apparently her meows were also coming out like growls, which is very unusual. That indicated to me that she was in pain. She also was not purring. That's Sassy's tell--I know she'll be OK if she starts purring the minute a human walks into the room. We planning on putting her down before I came home for Christmas because Sassy doesn't deserve to suffer.

My mom kept me up to date with all of this as I no longer live at home with Sassy. Sassy has gone downhill before, but always gotten better. I wanted to take her to college with me but she was too old at that point and probably would've been very unhappy with the move. She's lived in my childhood home her whole life.

For some reason, she's bounced back slightly. Started eating and pooping again yesterday. She's purring again. Still no peeing in the litter box, only on pee pads. I think that's because she walks very slowly now (likely due to arthritis) and I'm guessing she can't squat anymore. My mom says she's more comfortable now and sleeping in her bed, but the peeing indicates to me that her pain is too much. We have her euthanasia scheduled for the 26th when I'll be home, but may reschedule for earlier is she goes downhill again.

This is the first time I'm going to deal with the death of a pet that is completely mine. It's going to be hard. Also if anyone has suggestions, that would be appreciated.
@johnnaboo... Having already lost my own two childhood cats (who lived to the ages of 16 and 17), I know how excruciatingly hard it feels to lose our pets. It hurts!

If it is any consolation, I reached a sense of peace in making the decision to end the suffering of my childhood cats (when that time arrived for each of them); and I knew my pets depended on me alone to make that special decision on their behalf. Each time, it was a purely loving decision because I loved my beautiful cats with all of my heart. I also had awesome veterinarians who helped me every step of the way.

Sassy is the luckiest cat in the world to have you as her mom and to have had you as her best friend for so many years.

Sending you my kindest thoughts and lots of gentle hugs, to you and to Sassy.

[Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more.]

*sigh*

My childhood cat who I got as a present for my first day of kindergarten is likely getting put down on the 26th. Her name is Sassy and she's 17 now. This past weekend, she was on death's door. Not eating, peeing outside of her litter box, stopped pooping regularly. Apparently her meows were also coming out like growls, which is very unusual. That indicated to me that she was in pain. She also was not purring. That's Sassy's tell--I know she'll be OK if she starts purring the minute a human walks into the room. We planning on putting her down before I came home for Christmas because Sassy doesn't deserve to suffer.

For some reason, she's bounced back slightly. Started eating and pooping again yesterday. She's purring again. Still no peeing in the litter box, only on pee pads. I think that's because she walks very slowly now (likely due to arthritis) and I'm guessing she can't squat anymore. My mom says she's more comfortable now and sleeping in her bed, but the peeing indicates to me that her pain is too much. We have her euthanasia scheduled for the 26th when I'll be home, but may reschedule for earlier is she goes downhill again.

I'm so sorry to hear this johnnaboo :(

I lost my childhood cat when he was 17. We had the same birthday. He was mine.

It was three days before I was going to come home from school and he threw a saddle thrombus. He had been on the decline for a while but nothing that couldn't be attributed to just being an old man cat. Still did all his normal activities and what not. It hit me really hard and three years later I still have a hard time talking about him without crying.

It's okay to feel upset. Even for years after. I'm upset and hurt and grieving because I loved him. There isn't a cure for grief because reducing grief quickly means letting go of some of your love and that's simply not an option for so many reasons. It gets easier as time goes on. Not easier because I love him less, but easier because I've gotten more used to not having him around.

I encourage you to spend some good time with your kitty. Take pictures. Take videos. Pet her and hold her on her lap and share your love with her as much as you can before you let her go. Give her the good food she's not always allowed to have. Set her on the heated blanket and let her get cozy there all day. When you do let her go, get paw prints or a lock of her hair. There's nothing wrong with saving pieces of her to remember her by.

One last thing I will add to this rambling post... I had dreams about my cat for years after he died. Always the same one. He would be back again and in my arms and I was told, very clearly, that if I ever let him go he would go away forever. I could have him as long as I wanted so long as I never let him go. I carried him everywhere, to school, to work, in the car, to the movies, in the shower, around the mailbox. I could never bring myself to set him down and I had this dream probably once a week for at least a year if not a year and a half. I always woke up crying after I had it. Finally in one of the dreams... I don't know. I was ready, I guess. I had carried him long enough and knew carrying him everywhere was bad for both of us. I set him down, and I haven't had that dream ever since then.

It's okay to let them go. It's okay to set them down.

Reactions: 12 users

It was three days before I was going to come home from school and he threw a saddle thrombus. He had been on the decline for a while but nothing that couldn't be attributed to just being an old man cat. Still did all his normal activities and what not. It hit me really hard and three years later I still have a hard time talking about him without crying.

It's okay to feel upset. Even for years after. I'm upset and hurt and grieving because I loved him. There isn't a cure for grief because reducing grief quickly means letting go of some of your love and that's simply not an option for so many reasons. It gets easier as time goes on. Not easier because I love him less, but easier because I've gotten more used to not having him around.

I encourage you to spend some good time with your kitty. Take pictures. Take videos. Pet her and hold her on her lap and share your love with her as much as you can before you let her go. Give her the good food she's not always allowed to have. Set her on the heated blanket and let her get cozy there all day. When you do let her go, get paw prints or a lock of her hair. There's nothing wrong with saving pieces of her to remember her by.

One last thing I will add to this rambling post... I had dreams about my cat for years after he died. Always the same one. He would be back again and in my arms and I was told, very clearly, that if I ever let him go he would go away forever. I could have him as long as I wanted so long as I never let him go. I carried him everywhere, to school, to work, in the car, to the movies, in the shower, around the mailbox. I could never bring myself to set him down and I had this dream probably once a week for at least a year if not a year and a half. I always woke up crying after I had it. Finally in one of the dreams... I don't know. I was ready, I guess. I had carried him long enough and knew carrying him everywhere was bad for both of us. I set him down, and I haven't had that dream ever since then.

Thanks VMH, I'm sitting in the supply closet and crying at work. This is a really sweet post.

I lost my Cali kitty almost a year ago to renal failure. She wasn't even 11 yet, it was way too soon, and I cry pretty regularly for her. I'm so glad I have so many pictures of her - that's one thing that has helped a lot. I also have a paw print and a clipping of her hair, and those are very special to me now, even though I wasn't convinced wanted them at the time.

Reactions: 5 users
Thanks VMH, I'm sitting in the supply closet and crying at work. This is a really sweet post.

I lost my Cali kitty almost a year ago to renal failure. She wasn't even 11 yet, it was way too soon, and I cry pretty regularly for her. I'm so glad I have so many pictures of her - that's one thing that has helped a lot. I also have a paw print and a clipping of her hair, and those are very special to me now, even though I wasn't convinced wanted them at the time.
I cried the whole time I wrote it lol. I miss my Sky Boy Blue

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so sorry @johnnaboo
I still haven't had to deal with euthanizing a pet of my own, though I have dealt with deaths. I know it is a tough decision (one of the toughest). Try to remind yourself that it is a gift that we are able to do this for our animals so that they do not suffer needlessly. It sounds like she has a good, long life, and been well cared for by people who love her. There isn't anything much better than that, right? A life full of love and a peaceful end.
Very true. She was lucky in that she got to be with us her entire life.

@johnnaboo... Having already lost my own two childhood cats (who lived to the ages of 16 and 17), I know how excruciatingly hard it feels to lose our pets. It hurts!

If it is any consolation, I reached a sense of peace in making the decision to end the suffering of my childhood cats (when that time arrived for each of them); and I knew my pets depended on me alone to make that special decision on their behalf. Each time, it was a purely loving decision because I loved my beautiful cats with all of my heart. I also had awesome veterinarians who helped me every step of the way.

Sassy is the luckiest cat in the world to have you as her mom and to have had you as her best friend for so many years.

Sending you my kindest thoughts and lots of gentle hugs, to you and to Sassy.

[Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more.]
Thank you. I really needed to hear this. The decision to euthanize her is mine alone. This is the first time that's been the case. I feel incredibly guilty because I don't know if she would live longer without this decision. But all I know is that she's gotten more and more skinny and unhappy in the past few months, whereas before, she was old but not really showing her age or her disgruntlement. I want her end to be happy.

You nearly got me to cry at work while extracting eggs from cow ovaries. But I held it together. Thanks for you advice and sorry for your own loss. I probably won't be able to cuddle with her too much because she lives in our bathroom now and can't jump anymore, but I'll do my best to give her lots of love. And thanks for the paw print recommendation. I think I'll get something to do that and stick a tuft of her hair in it when I make her paw print (her fur mats so easily, so I think it's appropriate to get a mat!).

Crayola model magic is really nice for this. Starts soft like clay but isn't messy or crumbly and dries overnight. Comes in tons of colors too.
Thanks for this. Going to purchase some tonight.

Here's my Sassa Frassa. Her favorite spot before she relocated to the bathroom was under the covers with me. I'm going to miss her but you've all helped me feel better about this situation. From the bottom of my heart, thank you.

Attachments

• DA0D8125-E37A-44E8-BEB6-9678762B228C.jpeg
    DA0D8125-E37A-44E8-BEB6-9678762B228C.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 56
  • D0B51D48-795A-4283-AA09-36FCCAF7D924.jpeg
    D0B51D48-795A-4283-AA09-36FCCAF7D924.jpeg
    86.5 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: 7 users
Here's my Sassa Frassa. Her favorite spot before she relocated to the bathroom was under the covers with me. I'm going to miss her but you've all helped me feel better about this situation. From the bottom of my heart, thank you.
@johnnaboo ... Sassy is absolutely beautiful!

Check with your vet too. The one that I worked for made memory boxes for any animals that we euthanized. They had the clay paw prints, a lock of hair and a few other little things. It was my first job the first day I worked there making them. It was so sad but gave me a quick understanding of the job. I haven't had to let go of a pet yet but my mom has. She said to just love them as much as you can before you say goodbye and don't forget pictures and hugs. So sorry you are going through this.

Last edited:
My Cleverpet arrived for my dog. He's just laying down in front of it staring at it. He hasn't quiet figured out the button thing yet. He got a few in a row accidentally but isn't pawing at it just yet. I'm hoping he'll get the hang of it. But worst case scenario, I'm sure a future dog will like it if I can't get him super into it. May also have to use different treats in it that are more exciting as I just have his kibble in it now.

Just called and made the appointment for Sassy's euthanasia on the 26th. I know it's the right thing to do, but I still feel guilty. Maybe I'll feel better when I see her and see how her quality of life is not what it used to be. It's going to be a rough Christmas knowing I'm going to have to say goodbye after, but I'm going to try my best to enjoy it with her.

Just called and made the appointment for Sassy's euthanasia on the 26th. I know it's the right thing to do, but I still feel guilty. Maybe I'll feel better when I see her and see how her quality of life is not what it used to be. It's going to be a rough Christmas knowing I'm going to have to say goodbye after, but I'm going to try my best to enjoy it with her.
I'll be thinking about you and Sassy. <3

Reactions: 2 users

Hardest decision you’ll ever make, but one filled with all the love in the world</3

Been there and know how impossible it feels. Thinking of you and Sassy.

Sending all the love in the world to you and your girl.

Thank you all. I took the advice of making a paw print. My mom also got me a blanket to remember her by. Now we can forever snuggle

Attachments

• 23100480-7F6F-4CD9-8D4C-CCBEDEF19BB8.jpeg
    23100480-7F6F-4CD9-8D4C-CCBEDEF19BB8.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 67
  • AF484E70-3905-40E6-85B4-C314EB04880F.jpeg
    AF484E70-3905-40E6-85B4-C314EB04880F.jpeg
    145.6 KB · Views: 66
Reactions: 11 users
@johnnaboo hugs to you. Sassy is a beautiful kitty and I'm glad you have good things to remember her by. I know you're grieving but I hope you take solace in knowing you're a great pet parent and Sassy knew nothing but love from you.

Have you fed him a home-prepared, cooked diet yet?
I'm sorry I am just responding to this after months. This conversation almost made me leave SDN but I am glad it did not.

I have tried a cooked diet with them. They can eat it for about a day without issues. Longer than a day and bloody diarrhea returns.

I know what I am saying is anecdotal. I worked with a vet for months to try and solve my cat's issues. He was on metronidazole several times and for several weeks. I tried different kibbles, different canned foods, different drugs, etc. She was ready to put him on steroids at 6 months because he didn't have a solid poop in his entire life. The only thing that helped him was raw food. I don't know why it helped, but it did and I am very thankful for this. I know of many other people who were ready to euthanize because of IBD but didn't because a raw diet helped their cats so much. I will try and find some research articles on the topic, because I know this is anecdotal experience that will probably be doubted. I know raw is not ideal for all animals, but for my cats, it is! They are 100% indoor cats and children never interact with them (really not a big fan) so I don't see how they are a public health concern. I had GI issues for years of my life (I have celiac disease) and I could highly relate to the pain my cat was in. I'm happy that a diet change got rid of his issues. I'm not trying to start another debate on here but if anyone wants to PM me, feel free!

Sassy peacefully crossed the rainbow bridge today. Thank you all for your love and support.
I'll keep you in my thoughts. Hang in there and allow yourself to grieve <3

How many cats is too many cats?:p

I adopted an adult female in undergrad. She’s a unique personality and doesn’t like most people lol but adores me (and I her!!!). I found a kitten this summer that I said I was going to find a home for but yeah haha what a joke. Two seems like the perfect number! Except my adult cat just tolerates the kitten who just wants to play allllll the time. Over Christmas, both my cats went home to my parents with me (they are well-traveled felines haha) and my kitten was absolutely in heaven playing with my mom’s new kitten.

So now I have this little dumb idea in my head that maybe I should find another kitten. In a perfect world she would have a buddy and stop tormenting my older cat...but feline relationships are hard and complicated and it could also go rather badly. People plan and cats laugh?

Bad idea, right?!

Reactions: 3 users

I adopted an adult female in undergrad. She’s a unique personality and doesn’t like most people lol but adores me (and I her!!!). I found a kitten this summer that I said I was going to find a home for but yeah haha what a joke. Two seems like the perfect number! Except my adult cat just tolerates the kitten who just wants to play allllll the time. Over Christmas, both my cats went home to my parents with me (they are well-traveled felines haha) and my kitten was absolutely in heaven playing with my mom’s new kitten.

So now I have this little dumb idea in my head that maybe I should find another kitten. In a perfect world she would have a buddy and stop tormenting my older cat...but feline relationships are hard and complicated and it could also go rather badly. People plan and cats laugh?

Bad idea, right?!
Moar cats!

Bad idea, right?!
The answer is always moar kittens!

Reactions: 8 users

Bad idea, right?!
Your kitten definitely needs another kitten

Reactions: 4 users

Bad idea, right?!
I actually think this would honestly help. The kitten won't annoy your older cat as much if she has a playmate.

Who ever said that? :angelic:

The real question is why I ever thought asking a bunch of pre-vets, fellow vet students, and veterinarians would give me any other answer besides “you should get a kitten.” Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
The real question is why I ever though asking a bunch of pre-vets, fellow vet students, and veterinarians would give me any other answer besides “you should get a kitten.” Lol
Funnily enough in real life I have a huge reputation for talking people out of getting pets

I introduced my rabbits to snow a few days ago. I’m not sure if they were approving of the experience or not.

6E07B1B2-003E-4725-B34A-285F47B82918.jpeg

Last edited:

Bad idea, right?!
If it makes you feel better, I have two and my fiance has two. Plus a rabbit, turtle, and foster/forever dog.

His two cats don't get along with one of mine like 90% of the time. There's a lot of unprovoked hissing/swatting from his girls, and my girl doesn't tolerate it :rolleyes: No big blowout fights (yet) though so I say go for it:D If our fuzz family can make it work, anyone's can!

Bad idea, right?!
I had 4 cats for 6 months last year (2 were fosters) and I'm convinced 4 is the perfect number. You're totally fine with 3. :p

Ya’ll were supposed to be the voice of reason! Haha.

Good to know it’s not the worst idea ever, though.

It's not the worst idea ever but...there's no way to know that New Kitten will want to play with First Kitten, or that they BOTH won't join forces and irritate Adult Cat. I swear a big portion of cases I see are somehow related to having more than one cat. Not to rain on the parade, just adding my $0.02 :)