All About Our Pets(Pics, Advice, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Am I crazy? I must be crazy. But this creature will be 8 weeks old next weekend... and will be living with me by Christmas :)View attachment 226331

How did I miss this?! Do you have him? What's his name? How's it going? Aahhh!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

It's not the worst idea ever but...there's no way to know that New Kitten will want to play with First Kitten, or that they BOTH won't join forces and irritate Adult Cat. I swear a big portion of cases I see are somehow related to having more than one cat. Not to rain on the parade, just adding my $0.02 :)
Oh your certainly not raining on any parade. I know this is a legitimate possibility...and why I’m still not really sure about it.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How did I miss this?! Do you have him? What's his name? How's it going? Aahhh!! :D
Picking him up tomorrow! Pushed it back a bit until my schedule was better and since none of his littermates had started leaving yet either. I've been visiting him weekly though. I'm currently attempting to puppy proof the house :) His name is Túndra :)

Reactions: 2 users
He’s here!
And I am currently trying to housebreak in single digit weather. What was I thinking?!

ImageUploadedBySDN1515108751.617761.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 13 users
I’d like to hear about people’s experiences bringing their dogs with them to vet school... I’m starting to get nervous about my 1 year old, active, 45 pound dog having to be left alone for so long while I’m in class :( He’s also used to always having another dog in the house :/ in the meantime, please enjoy this photo of him wearing a too-small Christmas sweater

Attachments

• 6B0287E1-620C-4F2E-8327-014D0E4D3CC3.jpeg
    6B0287E1-620C-4F2E-8327-014D0E4D3CC3.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 73
Reactions: 1 users
I’d like to hear about people’s experiences bringing their dogs with them to vet school... I’m starting to get nervous about my 1 year old, active, 45 pound dog having to be left alone for so long while I’m in class :( He’s also used to always having another dog in the house :/ in the meantime, please enjoy this photo of him wearing a too-small Christmas sweater
We actually had a separate thread about this about a year ago!

Click here! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Meet Apple, my Syrian hamster who enjoys the finer things in life, like long runs on his wheel and the occasional apple after dinner!

AD9A538A-5334-4D93-AD8E-F6DFD1CA8311.jpeg

Reactions: 8 users
These are basically the expressions I've been getting for the past month:

I2XvE0j.jpg

Ihc0RX7.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
This is Zelda, who I adopted on a whim about 2 weeks ago. She was originally a feral but has transformed into the sweetest and most cuddly kitty that I've ever owned. She's one of the few things offering some stability to my life right now, and although I probably could/should have waited on bringing a new pet home, I am so happy that I went for it.

25627147_10215255888616403_4060198381336018481_o.jpg

IMG_7680[1].JPG

Reactions: 15 users
Does anyone have any suggestions for dog booties? I'm ashamed to ask but my dog is super uncomfortable when walking from snow to wet/cold road. At first I thought it was just snow balling up in his feet but nope, he just doesn't like it/it hurts/Idontevenknowhesadog. If it helps he's 30lbs of adorable Corg. Picture courtesy of my sister’s fancy new iPhone.

3A3D081D-DB2F-457B-921B-368E87E01B70.jpeg

I got Mocha a set of...I think the brand was Fantastic Zone? Went through reviews on Amazon. She hated them, but as anyone who knows her knows, she's a finicky little butt. So not entirely surprised. I would look for like, waterproof ones specifically. That was not much of a concern here because I bought them for the heat (AZ summers are hell on paws), but.

It's okay, little dogs can be finicky. ;)

I got Mocha a set of...I think the brand was Fantastic Zone? Went through reviews on Amazon. She hated them, but as anyone who knows her knows, she's a finicky little butt. So not entirely surprised. I would look for like, waterproof ones specifically. That was not much of a concern here because I bought them for the heat (AZ summers are hell on paws), but.

It's okay, little dogs can be finicky. ;)

Thanks :) I found a set on Amazon that looked fine, waterproof, etc. The information was clearly badly translated English but OK :laugh: It's weird because he's definitely a big dog in a smaller body-type dog but the poor guy just stands there hopping from foot to foot or even sitting down. He's fine in the snow or on wet pavement separately - I wonder if it's like licking a frozen flagpole feeling from the snow to the pavement? We'll see how it goes!

My dog got booties for Christmas! She's very food motivated and requires some treats to get her to move, otherwise she'd just stand in the kitchen all day looking sad. We tried a walk up the street this weekend and got just a little way before she decided NOPE - so it's still a work in progress. The snow sometimes makes her feet bleed so I was excited to get them, and I've been fairly pleased with them so far.

Reactions: 1 users
A doctor at my internship used Ruffwear booties when snow hiking for her lab which have worked great, but I don’t know how they would fit corgi legs. Vets can get a 50% Ruffwear discount though.

Thanks :) I found a set on Amazon that looked fine, waterproof, etc. The information was clearly badly translated English but OK :laugh: It's weird because he's definitely a big dog in a smaller body-type dog but the poor guy just stands there hopping from foot to foot or even sitting down. He's fine in the snow or on wet pavement separately - I wonder if it's like licking a frozen flagpole feeling from the snow to the pavement? We'll see how it goes!
If it's mostly the transition that bugs him, you could also try Musher's secret. It's easy enough to find so might help you buy some time to find corgi friendly boots!

Does anyone have any suggestions for dog booties? I'm ashamed to ask but my dog is super uncomfortable when walking from snow to wet/cold road. At first I thought it was just snow balling up in his feet but nope, he just doesn't like it/it hurts/Idontevenknowhesadog. If it helps he's 30lbs of adorable Corg. Picture courtesy of my sister’s fancy new iPhone.

View attachment 228023
Have you tried pawz? They are like balloons. My dogs don’t mind wearing them at all. Sure they wear out over time, but I think 12 come in a pack. Keeps paws clean and dry too.

I'm having the same dilemma and have been afraid to invest in a nicer pair due to the fear of them just falling off my guy's corgi like stumps. We did use the Pawz on a previous corgi, but more so to give him a bit of a grip when he started developing suspected DM. I don't think we ever really used them in the snow. I've heard people say they're great for the shorter walks but not sure about using them for something long.

I'm having the same dilemma and have been afraid to invest in a nicer pair due to the fear of them just falling off my guy's corgi like stumps. We did use the Pawz on a previous corgi, but more so to give him a bit of a grip when he started developing suspected DM. I don't think we ever really used them in the snow. I've heard people say they're great for the shorter walks but not sure about using them for something long.
I agree, they wouldn't be good for long walks on pavement. My dogs hate the snow/cold, so walks are short in the winter, and we are only on pavement for about 10 feet, so they work well for us.

My friend said to be careful with ruffwear if your dog has dew claws and you will be taking them on longer walks. Many reviewers cautioned about this too, she risked it, and her dog developed very painful sores and wasn't able to go on long walks until they healed.

I love this puppy. Seriously, he is so ridiculously easy compared to Ivy.
In two weeks, we are 95% housebroken, we know sit, stand, down, wait, come, kennel, leash walk, auto sit while heel. And yet, I've spent barely any time training because it's too cold to work outside. Sleeps all night in his kennel. He loves everyone, but knows he needs to keep his feet on the ground to get pets. He doesn't have much ball or toy drive, but loves his treats. He snuggles! I was worried he wouldn't enjoy agility stuff, but he accidentally jumped a few jumps and did a tunnel while running the other night and was pretty stinking proud of himself.

Attachments

• DSC_0984a.jpg
    DSC_0984a.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 75
Reactions: 5 users
I love this puppy. Seriously, he is so ridiculously easy compared to Ivy.
In two weeks, we are 95% housebroken, we know sit, stand, down, wait, come, kennel, leash walk, auto sit while heel. And yet, I've spent barely any time training because it's too cold to work outside. Sleeps all night in his kennel. He loves everyone, but knows he needs to keep his feet on the ground to get pets. He doesn't have much ball or toy drive, but loves his treats. He snuggles! I was worried he wouldn't enjoy agility stuff, but he accidentally jumped a few jumps and did a tunnel while running the other night and was pretty stinking proud of himself.
OH MY GODDDDDDDD HES TOO PRECIOUSSSSS

DANG. I can't believe I hadn't entered this thread before. :love::love::love: all the cute animals!

Ok - question - Currently live in Seattle, we don't really have heartworm here. So my pup takes Nexguard (its flea/tick only). But its looking more and more like I'll be attending NCSU in the fall. What do you guys like for flea/tick/heartworm preventative? I was thinking Revolution? But I'm curious what you guys like to use.

DANG. I can't believe I hadn't entered this thread before. :love::love::love: all the cute animals!

Ok - question - Currently live in Seattle, we don't really have heartworm here. So my pup takes Nexguard (its flea/tick only). But its looking more and more like I'll be attending NCSU in the fall. What do you guys like for flea/tick/heartworm preventative? I was thinking Revolution? But I'm curious what you guys like to use.
My dogs are all on interceptor plus and vectra 3D.
The vectra 3D is also supposed to be a bit of extra protection from heartworm because it repels mosquitos too. Does leave that greasy trail though but I’ve minimized the grossness some by doing dots along their spine instead of just one long trail.

They all like the interceptor and it’s chicken flavor. Two of them are ~7 lbs and it was a pain to give them heartgard plus because of how big that chew is for the under 25 range. I’d have to break it into tiny pieces and then they’d only want to eat about half of it so the rest would have to get wrapped in cheese for them to finish it. The interceptor is MUCH smaller for their size and is only about the size of my index finger nail so they take it much easier. That was one of the main reasons I switched from heartgard and it was a bit cheaper from my vet with the rebate than the heartgard.

View attachment 228023
I’m sorry, but HOW did you manage to clone my dog? Only difference is that mine is a corgi mutt and she’s like 9 now.

I have no useful info about booties

Attachments

• 1F90DAF2-ACCE-4EDC-9179-AAC3849247CC.jpeg
    1F90DAF2-ACCE-4EDC-9179-AAC3849247CC.jpeg
    131.5 KB · Views: 64

Simba’s on Trifexis and we like it a lot.

Also, whenever you get in/ decide to go check with people in previous classes. We get free/ discounted heartworm meds for being a Student, so it could save you $$$!

Simba’s on Trifexis and we like it a lot.

Also, whenever you get in/ decide to go check with people in previous classes. We get free/ discounted heartworm meds for being a Student, so it could save you $$$!

Oh! Yeah that's a good idea :)

My dogs are all on interceptor plus and vectra 3D.
The vectra 3D is also supposed to be a bit of extra protection from heartworm because it repels mosquitos too. Does leave that greasy trail though but I’ve minimized the grossness some by doing dots along their spine instead of just one long trail.

They all like the interceptor and it’s chicken flavor. Two of them are ~7 lbs and it was a pain to give them heartgard plus because of how big that chew is for the under 25 range. I’d have to break it into tiny pieces and then they’d only want to eat about half of it so the rest would have to get wrapped in cheese for them to finish it. The interceptor is MUCH smaller for their size and is only about the size of my index finger nail so they take it much easier. That was one of the main reasons I switched from heartgard and it was a bit cheaper from my vet with the rebate than the heartgard.
Have you found vectra 3D to still work? I'm not sure what part of the country you are in but my clinic has had a lot of complaints about the product not working. The fleas were BAD this year though

@ziggyandjazzy what do you like to use?
I actually don't have a dog, although I'm getting another foster greyhound in Feb. My cats are indoor only and haven't had fleas since I got them (and they were infested for a bit, advantage 2 did nothing but they were too young to get anything else. I also had to treat my entire apartment, twice :rage:) but I have used comfortis, cheristin, and catego for them. I also brush them like 3x a week and haven't seen a flea in over a year, regardless of using products or not.

We've (by that I mean the vets and I pass this info along) been recommending nexguard for fleas and ticks and that seems to be working for everyone much better that vectra 3D. Or comfortis for just fleas. I think for heartworm we have been carrying heartgard and interceptor. Honestly a lot of people do not give heartworm prevention because I work at a nonprofit and they just don't have the money or aren't going to spend it on that. We do carry advantage multi to cover fleas and heartworm prevention but I know one vet doesn't like it and also it hasn't been working for fleas well at all. I honestly can't remember what product the organization gave me for my last foster greyhound but I think it was some sort of bulk thing they do. It was in the shape of a bone so if anyone knows what that is that would be great.

Have you found vectra 3D to still work? I'm not sure what part of the country you are in but my clinic has had a lot of complaints about the product not working. The fleas were BAD this year though
I’ve found it to still work. Where I am we see more people complain about frontline not working.
Have had quite a few puppies come in with fleas on their first visit and then we’re flea-free 4 weeks later for their next.

I actually don't have a dog, although I'm getting another foster greyhound in Feb. My cats are indoor only and haven't had fleas since I got them (and they were infested for a bit, advantage 2 did nothing but they were too young to get anything else. I also had to treat my entire apartment, twice :rage:) but I have used comfortis, cheristin, and catego for them. I also brush them like 3x a week and haven't seen a flea in over a year, regardless of using products or not.

We've (by that I mean the vets and I pass this info along) been recommending nexguard for fleas and ticks and that seems to be working for everyone much better that vectra 3D. Or comfortis for just fleas. I think for heartworm we have been carrying heartgard and interceptor. Honestly a lot of people do not give heartworm prevention because I work at a nonprofit and they just don't have the money or aren't going to spend it on that. We do carry advantage multi to cover fleas and heartworm prevention but I know one vet doesn't like it and also it hasn't been working for fleas well at all. I honestly can't remember what product the organization gave me for my last foster greyhound but I think it was some sort of bulk thing they do. It was in the shape of a bone so if anyone knows what that is that would be great.
The only thing I know of in the shape of a bone is drontal plus which does tapes, rounds, hooks, and whips, but not heartworm or fleas (so I doubt it’s that haha).

I use advantage multi on the first of the month for my dog, but #1 he has food allergies and can’t have the flavoring in most chewable hw prevention and flea/tick meds, #2 primary care here recommended it over revolution for cost and efficacy purposes as far as topical hw products go, and #3 we get it free or cheap from Bayer as students/interns/residents. I have to treat for fleas with advantix 2 halfway through the month because he has flea allergies + needs 1-2 baths a week to keep other skin problems at bay, so that washes off a lot of the topical product. I used to use sentinel/sentinel spectrum for heart worm before we switched. He wouldn’t eat regular sentinel plain but would eat the sentinel spectrum. My parents use interceptor and are happy enough with it. Efficacy of heartworm meds isn’t too big of a problem yet as far as I know, it’s more the flea tick meds that have more widespread resistance.

The only thing I know of in the shape of a bone is drontal plus which does tapes, rounds, hooks, and whips, but not heartworm or fleas (so I doubt it’s that haha).

Drontal plus has always made Winston projectile vomit after he took it, even when he was a puppy.

It wasn't a wormer I know. The foster had rounds and hooks and was given fenbendazole (I think) several times.

I use advantage multi on the first of the month for my dog, but #1 he has food allergies and can’t have the flavoring in most chewable hw prevention and flea/tick meds, #2 primary care here recommended it over revolution for cost and efficacy purposes as far as topical hw products go, and #3 we get it free or cheap from Bayer as students/interns/residents. I have to treat for fleas with advantix 2 halfway through the month because he has flea allergies + needs 1-2 baths a week to keep other skin problems at bay, so that washes off a lot of the topical product. I used to use sentinel/sentinel spectrum for heart worm before we switched. He wouldn’t eat regular sentinel plain but would eat the sentinel spectrum. My parents use interceptor and are happy enough with it. Efficacy of heartworm meds isn’t too big of a problem yet as far as I know, it’s more the flea tick meds that have more widespread resistance.
Have you thought about and/or tried the seresto collars?

We tried a seresto once but he’s an awkward size at 21 lbs. Too big for the small dog size but the large dog size seems like a lot of stuff on his neck with his collar too. Plus the more you bathe them the shorter they last because they diffuse over a gradient so if you wash the dog they release more product so they become fairly expensive if you only get 3-4 months out of them. And my residentmate had one on his Cat for less than 6 months and she got diplidium tapeworms which they get from fleas so I’m not too impressed with performance around here. Most people have them on too loose which can affect efficacy but I know my residentmate’s cat was on her appropriately.

We tried a seresto once but he’s an awkward size at 21 lbs. Too big for the small dog size but the large dog size seems like a lot of stuff on his neck with his collar too. Plus the more you bathe them the shorter they last because they diffuse over a gradient so if you wash the dog they release more product so they become fairly expensive if you only get 3-4 months out of them. And my residentmate had one on his Cat for less than 6 months and she got diplidium tapeworms which they get from fleas so I’m not too impressed with performance around here. Most people have them on too loose which can affect efficacy but I know my residentmate’s cat was on her appropriately.
Interesting! I've never used them and not a lot of people buy them but the ones that do tend to like them.

My cats both have seresto collars and they seem to have taken care of the flea infestation we got from foster kitty (plus envionmental cleansing of course). They're indoor only though so once the fleas were gone from the apartment, not much opportunity for them to pick them up elsewhere.

You can bathe the dog once a month and the collar is still effective for the full 8 months. Won't work for dogs who like mud, but I feel like the average person doesn't have to bathe their dogs more than once a month (or doesn't even do it monthly). If your dog bathes/swims more than once a month, they claim flea prevention for 5 months and tick prevention for 7.

I currently have a Seresto collar on my foster dog. My only real complaint is that they're pretty ugly and difficult to adjust size-wise once the collar has been out of the packaging for a while (my dog was gaining much needed weight). There are also some concerns (even warnings in the product packaging) about human contact with the collar and residues it may leave around your house. It's not greasy or anything, but houses with kids/sensitive individuals may not like it. If you like the collar though, it's a good value for 8 months of protection. Also poses no danger to cats in the house. Efficacy wise, she doesn't have fleas/ticks so I guess it's working? She doesn't really have an opportunity to pick up ticks but she does walk through a squirrel filled yard multiple times a day, so fleas are a risk.

I think the collar and Bravecto are great additions to a practice's pharmacy, but that's just my opinion. Clients I know are really liking the idea of not having to remember to give something monthly. I think veterinary people tend to underestimate how much of a burden some clients feel monthly prevention is.

You can bathe the dog once a month and the collar is still effective for the full 8 months. Won't work for dogs who like mud, but I feel like the average person doesn't have to bathe their dogs more than once a month (or doesn't even do it monthly). If your dog bathes/swims more than once a month, they claim flea prevention for 5 months and tick prevention for 7.
Yeah, I see your point for a 'regular' dog, but my dog gets a bath (usually with medicated shampoo) twice a week to keep his superficial pyoderma manageable. So that's only 7x as often as they recommend... I know they say it works quite a while even with frequent bathing but I beg to differ that it will last that long with bathing him as often as the dermatologist told me to do it.

Last edited: