All Bs in the sciences except one. Retake or no?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GypsyHummus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am applying to DO schools next year and have all Bs in my science pre recs, a couple As in non pre recs like nutrition and research science credit, and one C in intro biology that I got my freshmen year. My science GPA is around the 3.1 mark, overall GPA a 3.4. If I retake the intro bio and get an A in it, My science GPA would jump up to a 3.3. The only problem is, my school only offers it in the spring semester, which might set me back a year, since I am applying summer of 2014. I have not taken the MCAT yet.

Is it worth it to retake it? I appreciate any advice you can give.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you'd be better off taking a few upper level science and acing them. A collection of Bs in prereqs and As in lower level sciences is not going to impress anyone.

I think you'd be better off taking a few upper level science and acing them. A collection of Bs in prereqs and As in lower level sciences is not going to impress anyone.

Agreed. That said, I'd retake the C regardless, and with a 3.3/3.4, if you get a decent MCAT score, you might be fine or might only need to take 2-3 upper level sciences to impress a med school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. That said, I'd retake the C regardless, and with a 3.3/3.4, if you get a decent MCAT score, you might be fine or might only need to take 2-3 upper level sciences to impress a med school.

Well, That is what I was hoping for. Because I don't have a ton of science classes, retaking that C does really help.

And just for clarification, what would "upper level science classes" entail? Like anatomy? Genetics? Biochem?

Well, That is what I was hoping for. Because I don't have a ton of science classes, retaking that C does really help.

And just for clarification, what would "upper level science classes" entail? Like anatomy? Genetics? Biochem?

Biochem, Cell, upper level micro, Physiology, etc.
Genetics and anatomy are usually lower level classes though at least in the case of genetics it is an important and helpful class to have down.

If your going to take an extra upper division science course, take biochem. My school will be requiring it when you apply (entering 2015). It is a good foundation class for the first semester of med school...the others serenade mentioned are as well, but if I had to choose one it would be biochem.

Biochem, Cell, upper level micro, Physiology, etc.
Genetics and anatomy are usually lower level classes though at least in the case of genetics it is an important and helpful class to have down.

Depends on the school. In my undergrad, Genetics was a 4000 level course. Physio was higher than the pre-reqs.

Yeah Genetics was upper division (3000 level) at my school too, and probably the second toughest class I took besides O-chem. Helped a lot for the MCAT though