This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalDoge

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello again!

I have narrowed my choices down to 3 awesome programs. I can't believe I am in such a blessed position. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am leaning towards Emory or Miami at this point.

My general interests are in neurology/neuropath, infectious disease, and pathology. However, I would definitely keep an open mind. Research, Global Health, and quality of life are important to me, with research ranking slightly above global health opportunities. Would like to match in the south, preferably Florida, but this isn't a huge deal. Lastly, money is always a factor, but I don't want it to sway my decision significantly.

Emory
Pros
- Hometown! Near support system and familiar areas.
- Nice gym and soccer field on campus
- Highest ranked
- Great research, CDC next door
- P/F M1 and M2
- 5 months of free time for international stuff/research!!!
- Nice global health initiatives
- Diverse clinical sites

Cons
- A small part of my hidden subconscious wants a change, but logic tells me that this is stupid
- Small group learning/PBL intensive. Actually have no idea if this is a pro or con

Miami
Pros
- Location ++++. Love the beach, culture, lifestyle
- Jackson Memorial Hospital sounds like an amazing clinical site and really nice research centers
- Near some family
- Beautiful
- Great global health opportunities and free clinics
- MPH dual degree option.. worth it?
- Amazing facilities and gym

Cons
- Grading and ranking... actually terrible
- LCME warnings, but they are addressing these

Dartmouth
Pros
- Ivy, carries name recognition
- P/F
- Diverse clinical opportunities! California and Family Medicine in Alaska sound really cool
- Faculty really seemed to care
- Has a nice winter-ey, ethereal feel to it. Lol I am from the south so it seems like an alien land
- Dartmouth Hitchcock is immaculate
- Really good research. Better than Emory or no?

Cons
- Middle of nowhere, not a fan of cold
- Not near family
- Not a very diverse population..at all. But this can be remedied with away rotations

I know I tagged the experts before, but I could really use your advice with my updated list @Goro @gyngyn @HomeSkool @LizzyM @Catalystik

Thank you everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello again!

I have narrowed my choices down to 3 awesome programs. I can't believe I am in such a blessed position. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am leaning towards Emory or Miami at this point.

My general interests are in neurology/neuropath, infectious disease, and pathology. However, I would definitely keep an open mind. Research, Global Health, and quality of life are important to me, with research ranking slightly above global health opportunities. Would like to match in the south, preferably Florida, but this isn't a huge deal. Lastly, money is always a factor, but I don't want it to sway my decision significantly.

Emory
Pros
- Hometown! Near support system and familiar areas.
- Nice gym and soccer field on campus
- Highest ranked
- Great research, CDC next door
- P/F M1 and M2
- 5 months of free time for international stuff/research!!!
- Nice global health initiatives
- Diverse clinical sites

Cons
- A small part of my hidden subconscious wants a change, but logic tells me that this is stupid
- Small group learning/PBL intensive. Actually have no idea if this is a pro or con

Miami
Pros
- Location ++++. Love the beach, culture, lifestyle
- Jackson Memorial Hospital sounds like an amazing clinical site and really nice research centers
- Near some family
- Beautiful
- Great global health opportunities and free clinics
- MPH dual degree option.. worth it?
- Amazing facilities and gym

Cons
- Grading and ranking... actually terrible
- LCME warnings, but they are addressing these

Dartmouth
Pros
- Ivy, carries name recognition
- P/F
- Diverse clinical opportunities! California and Family Medicine in Alaska sound really cool
- Faculty really seemed to care
- Has a nice winter-ey, ethereal feel to it. Lol I am from the south so it seems like an alien land
- Dartmouth Hitchcock is immaculate
- Really good research. Better than Emory or no?

Cons
- Middle of nowhere, not a fan of cold
- Not near family
- Not a very diverse population..at all. But this can be remedied with away rotations

I know I tagged the experts before, but I could really use your advice with my updated list @Goro @gyngyn @HomeSkool @LizzyM @Catalystik

Thank you everyone!
Well, what do you like better Seafood, fried chicken and barbecue, or clam chowder, pot roast, and baked beans?

Reactions: 3 users
I've said this before... make a chart with 3 columns and as man;y rows as you have characteristics that you value.
Now put a +, ++, +++. ++++ or - in each cell of the chart depending on how strong a given school is in characteristic.
Count the + marks in each column.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've said this before... make a chart with 3 columns and as man;y rows as you have characteristics that you value.
Now put a +, ++, +++. ++++ or - in each cell of the chart depending on how strong a given school is in characteristic.

Thank you for this advice! I will definitely try this and see what happens!

Well, what do you like better Seafood, fried chicken and barbecue, or clam chowder, pot roast, and baked beans?

Lol, I am not sure what this means, I don't take sarcasm too well! Can you tell me what you mean exactly?

You've got three really solid options there, and I'm gonna share a story I recently shared with another SDNer. I applied to four MBA programs and was accepted by all of them. I quickly ruled two out, leaving me two top-tier options. I stressed over it for several days, trying to weigh pros and cons, before a thought hit me: there was no right or wrong answer! I'd won the game, and whatever I chose would be great. That's the position you're in right now, and I don't think you can go wrong. So celebrate your win and know that you're going to train at a great school.

That said, here are a few of my thoughts that may be helpful:
  • Don't underestimate the positive impact of a true pass/fail system in the first two years. It's HUGE.
  • Coming from the South, you may be enchanted with the winter wonderland of New England now, but the charm will be long gone after six months of snow and frigid cold.
  • A nearby support system can save your bacon, but it can also hurt you if you're expected to show up for every family gathering.
  • The beach is gorgeous and lovely, and that sucks if you're always too busy to enjoy it.
Do what @LizzyM suggested with the list, pray about things if you're a religious person, and don't look back at "what-ifs" after you make your choice. Congratulations!

Lol, I am not sure what this means, I don't take sarcasm too well! Can you tell me what you mean exactly?
I think @Goro is saying you've got three great choices and can't go wrong.

Reactions: 2 users

What he's saying is that certain foods are very popular regionally and you might choose based on your food preferences.

Seafood is locally sourced in Miami, Atlanta is where you'll find fried chicken and barbeque, New England is known for clam chowder, pot roast and baked beans.

I just did this for my own options, but it actually made things a bit worse because the total tally is similar. But my "gut feeling" is telling me to go to a specific school regardless of "logic."

Emory research is > Dartmouth. Emory PBL and small group learning is fabulous. They give you an opportunity to put what you have learned in lecture into clinical cases. The faculty members that work as small group advisers are experienced educators, and we often have fellows and professors from other departments join us.

Thank you for this advice! I will definitely try this and see what happens!

As the wise @HomeSkool has pointed out, they're all really good schools.

Since you asked, if you were my kid, I'd send you to Dartmouth. Have you ever been to Atlanta or Miami during the summer????

what is the difference of cost between the three options? Where did you feel more comfortable during your interviews? Which place had students you felt you could mesh with?

You will be here for four years of your life and your quality of life is extremely important and is highly subjective. If you can't stand the cold and to the point it would deter you in your studies then Dartmouth would be a bad choice. The opposite is the case for Miami where its always 80+ degrees and 90% humiditiy (which I personally hated while growing up there). The area itself is really nice and besides the seafood they have the best hispanic food. They have a very different patient base than most other schools as well (you'd be working with a lot of the hispanic community).

How much dedicated Step 1 study time do each school give you? What kind of specialty are you considering at the moment (even though it might change)?
It would be ideal to go to a place that has a strong program in what you are interested in so you can get the best exposure possible.

How important is it to you personally to be close to family?
Again this is something that is really subjective. If this really matters to you then Emory is the best option. Personally my family has a lot of issues that would only distract me if I went to a school nearby.

Thank you so much everyone for your sound advice! These are all really great points and topics to think on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Disclaimer: on the UM waitlist

I'd also go with Emory:
- The UM location might be nice, but COL is SOO high, especially to afford a place in Brickell, where it seems most students live. Assuming you get in-state tuition at Emory and the total COA is lower, this already makes this the better option imo.
- The connections with the CDC >>> the joint degree at UM if you have any sort of interest in public health, Emory seems to be THE school to go if you want any part to do with medical outreach.
- The p/f will be beneficial - one of the only negative feelings I got from my UM interview is that the percentile grading can be stressful for students at times.

The only potential downside of Emory is the PBL which the majority (it seems) of med students on here seem to hate, so check to see if it fits your style of learning. But I don't think Emory will have any issues sending you to miami for residency if that is really something you want in the future.

Congrats on the great choices!

Last edited:
There are med schools that require you to provide your own health insurance, others with affordable, excellent coverage plus a health service on campus & cheap pharmaceuticals, and those between these extremes. If you don't have coverage through a parent, and especially if you have known health issues, you might like to explore medical coverage for each of those three campuses and add the results to the grid @LizzyM recommends.

Reactions: 1 users
Surprised this is such a blowout! I would have said Miami had the edge. Awesome opportunities with public/global health just being in the city + all of the South American/cuban influence and population. Admittedly, I can't speak much to neither Emory nor the CDC'c benefits, but Miami doesn't have any shortcomings in that department. They also certainly have all the research you could want. Try to decide how you feel on PBL, factor in cost, and then pull the trigger and don't look back! No bad options.

I’m actually waiting to hear back from these exact schools and they were all amazing when I visited. You can’t go wrong, but from your list it seems like Emory would satisfy most of your desires. I don’t have as big of a problem with PBL as a lot of people.

Miami and Dartmouth are really great too, but I think Emory beats out Miami for public health and research and Dartmouth based on location. Good luck!

Sorry to spring this post out of the dead again, but if getting a job at the CDC is a career aspiration in the future, would it be more beneficial to do the 4 year MD/MPH option at Miami, or try to do research directly with the CDC at Emory if possible? Which would be a more effective route for this specific kind of thing?

Sorry to spring this post out of the dead again, but if getting a job at the CDC is a career aspiration in the future, would it be more beneficial to do the 4 year MD/MPH option at Miami, or try to do research directly with the CDC at Emory if possible? Which would be a more effective route for this specific kind of thing?

I think working with the CDC would be possible through either school, but my assumption would be the latter. You'd have to apply and compete with other MD/MPHs, MDs, and MPHs to get a gig if you went to UM, whereas if you had a history of working with the CDC all throughout med school the connections you'd make in those 4 years would probably get you in through the back door.

The other thing may want to think about is that not all MPHs are created equally. The UM program is enticing since it'd save you a year but many many students end up taking a year off between MS3/4 or even right before or after residency to complete masters degrees. With the portfolio of a med student, you could probably pursue one at a top public health institution like Hopkins, Harvard, etc if you really desired, which would open even more doors imo.

Reactions: 2 users

I have almost the same goals! I think Emory will be more useful for the CDC directly. I agree with the above poster— I think due to the rushed nature of the MD MPH at Miami, that for someone who truly wants to have a career focused on public health, a full year long program at a prestigious SOPH (like Harvard or Hopkins) would build more bridges. Miami SOPH is certainly strong, but I think it’s better to focus on MD then go through an MPH rather than try to pack it all into one.

Edit: that being said, I could be wrong and the 4 year program is super enticing. I’m mulling over the same thing now.

I'm lucky enough to be in the same position as you (choosing between Emory and Miami). Atlanta is my home and while I feel you on the desire to want to leave, I think I'll be choosing Emory even though I absolutely loved Miami on my interview day. The grading system at Miami is a huge drawback for me; however, that doesn't mean Emory doesn't have its drawbacks for me either: namely the lack of fully recorded lectures. Like another poster mentioned above, I think Miami would be an amazing place to return to for residency, and I feel that going to Emory will open up a lot of doors to competitive programs and would have no problem getting us to a residency we'd love!

Also, if you're interested in public health I would say Emory > Miami no doubt.

Yeah I think if Miami didn't have a lethal grading system (graded AND ranked), I would be a super tight dilemma. I have no idea why they still cling to that; they have to know that affects their yield tremendously. But at this point, I am now strongly leaning towards Emory. I am super pumped!

Plus, I figure it would be better to be in Miami while you are getting paid in residency considering the COL...lol

Thank you all so much for your input!

Yeah I think if Miami didn't have a lethal grading system (graded AND ranked), I would be a super tight dilemma. I have no idea why they still cling to that; they have to know that affects their yield tremendously. But at this point, I am now strongly leaning towards Emory. I am super pumped!

Plus, I figure it would be better to be in Miami while you are getting paid in residency considering the COL...lol

Thank you all so much for your input!
I'm lucky enough to be in the same position as you (choosing between Emory and Miami). Atlanta is my home and while I feel you on the desire to want to leave, I think I'll be choosing Emory even though I absolutely loved Miami on my interview day. The grading system at Miami is a huge drawback for me; however, that doesn't mean Emory doesn't have its drawbacks for me either: namely the lack of fully recorded lectures. Like another poster mentioned above, I think Miami would be an amazing place to return to for residency, and I feel that going to Emory will open up a lot of doors to competitive programs and would have no problem getting us to a residency we'd love!

Also, if you're interested in public health I would say Emory > Miami no doubt.
You guys should go ahead and leave our facebook group then so other people maybe without an acceptance can join it...

Just to let everyone know, I chose Emory! I am super pumped. Thank you all for your invaluable guidance!

Reactions: 5 users