All HP on Clinical Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RunwayModel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering how much it will affect me if I get all HPs (high pass) on my required clinical rotations, in terms of residency. I was very good on my rotations, however, due to stupid things like the shelf, I always missed honors by a marginal amount resulting in a HP for the rotation. I am interested in Radiology. The rotations I'm referring to are: OB-Gyn, Peds, Surgery, Medicine. Thanks for any advice from all of you.

Members don't see this ad.

Lovella said:
I was just wondering how much it will affect me if I get all HPs (high pass) on my required clinical rotations, in terms of residency. I was very good on my rotations, however, due to stupid things like the shelf, I always missed honors by a marginal amount resulting in a HP for the rotation. I am interested in Radiology. The rotations I'm referring to are: OB-Gyn, Peds, Surgery, Medicine. Thanks for any advice from all of you.

Although grades are quite important in competitive specialties, my impression is that most residency programs are looking for well-rounded applicants who have excellent letters of recommendation from faculty, strong board scores (esp. in rads), and I would think research and high grades in a radiology elective would likely carry a good bit of weight. I have a very similar record to yours, except with a lowly Pass in Surgery thanks to the ugly shelf exam, and I've gotten some GREAT IM interviews. Although IM is quite a bit less competitive than Rads, I wouldn't count yourself out unless there are some serious issues with your record like initial or multiple failures of USMLE I or II, mediocre letters, IMG or USIMG status (it is very tough for IMG's to match directly into Rads from what I hear). I'd suggest trying an elective rotation at programs you are interested in, and forming some strong connections with faculty in your school's radiology dept. Good luck!