Eyed

10+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2009
Status
okay, so ive already been accepted to a few schools, but now that i found out my bf matched in Houston, that is now where i want to attend. There aren't that many posts about UHCO, so any input would be greatly appreciated. I spoke to Debbie McGee and even emailed the Dr. Shulman about my circumstances. My bf told me i shouldn't have a problem getting in, since ive already gotten in to 3 schools (nova, ico, pco). how do those schools compare to UHCO, as far as admissions are concerned?

Commando303

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2009
Status
Well, did you include U.H.C.O. on your OptomCAS application? Also, when was the application turned in?

tresrisque

10+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2008
Status
Optometry Student
^ I was also going to ask this. Their application deadline was on 2/15, so if you didn't turn in an app for UHCO, then I don't think that you can turn in one now.

Also, I don't mean to sound judgmental, but just go to the school that best suits YOU.

lovelydisaster

UHCO c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2007
Status
Pre-Optometry
Agreed with the above posters. I believe UHCO is making it's last rounds of decisions, so it would be pretty tough. Any positive feedback from Debbie or Dr. Shulman?

Eyed

10+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2009
Status
ah yes, sorry to forget such pertinent information. so when i filled out my optomcas I included UHCO... juuust incase my bf would match there. and he did. so yes, i applied way back in september. ive called the school numerous times. same response... ur file is complete and will be going up for review. i emailed dr. shulman, and no response... spoke with debbie and got nowhere. all she told me is the class isn't full yet. so i guess thats somewhat positive news.

pamin002

UHCO c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2009
Status
Pre-Optometry
ah yes, sorry to forget such pertinent information. so when i filled out my optomcas I included UHCO... juuust incase my bf would match there. and he did. so yes, i applied way back in september. ive called the school numerous times. same response... ur file is complete and will be going up for review. i emailed dr. shulman, and no response... spoke with debbie and got nowhere. all she told me is the class isn't full yet. so i guess thats somewhat positive news.

Dr. Shulman is your best bet. He can give you a realistic answer. I would recommend calling him, sometimes the emails get thrown into their spam.

If you cannot get into touch with Dr. Shulman, try Roger Boykins. He's really helpful and can perhaps direct you in the right direction.

tresrisque

10+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2008
Status
Optometry Student
Huh. That's pretty weird, especially since you applied in September. I applied much later than you (Late January) and got an interview invite 3 weeks later. :confused:

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck! I didn't go to UHCO's interview since I already got accepted into my first choice school. I hear the school's nice though. I also read that the school uses an Academic Index (which is your GPA times 100 plus your OAT score). If your AI adds up to at least 660, you may have a good shot! Keep us updated!

Eyed

10+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2009
Status
yes, ive heard of that equation before. so here are my stats
gpa 3.1 x 100= 310
OAT AA= 350
TS= 360

so either 660 or 670.

but theyre still not showing me any love =(

ive emailed the dean, left a voice mail this morning. no use in calling debbie again. i dont want to seem obnoxious, but i still want them to know that im reallllly interested.

tresrisque

10+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2008
Status
Optometry Student
yes, ive heard of that equation before. so here are my stats
gpa 3.1 x 100= 310
OAT AA= 350
TS= 360

so either 660 or 670.

but theyre still not showing me any love =(

ive emailed the dean, left a voice mail this morning. no use in calling debbie again. i dont want to seem obnoxious, but i still want them to know that im reallllly interested.
I forgot to add that due to the new OAT scoring system, they might add ~10 points to your AI score. Mine came out to be a 674 without the ~10 points added (3.54 GPA, 320 OAT). I don't think you're being obnoxious at all, just as long as you're not calling them every single day! :p