All my rotations going to be Blue book rotations. Will this affect me in getting residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saiyanprince

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will this affect me in any way when applying for residency? I started worrying about it. Does it matter if its green book or blue book? I don't want to get stressed about my rotations being blue book. Do I just worry about my USMLE Step 2?

Members don't see this ad.

Of course it matters, blue books have no residency programs so you're not even able to make yourself known to those hospitals for the purposes of the match during your rotations. It doesn't mean you won't match but it is worrying that if all of them are like that than your school won't be able to help you secure any decent elective rotations either. During COVID, a decent chunk of programs are no longer taking IMGs for elective rotations so the connections your school has becomes even more important.

You haven't named your school but it isn't a big 3 school given the fact that you don't have any teaching hospital rotations. If you haven't started this program yet, I'd think long and hard if it is something you really want to commit to.

Will this affect me in any way when applying for residency? I started worrying about it. Does it matter if its green book or blue book? I don't want to get stressed about my rotations being blue book. Do I just worry about my USMLE Step 2?
The answer is maybe. Each state has rules about medical school rotations for licensure.

Go to the state medical boards for the states you want to match into and look at their requirements for licensure. That's the only real way to know whether it matters for you.

And yes, you should also worry about step 2. All parts of your application matter. Your medical school rotations won't matter if you don't pass step 2 with a score that makes you competitive for residency positions, and vice versa.

Members don't see this ad :)