1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

All of Colorado's Adcom are trapped under something heavy!!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by gdbaby, Dec 13, 2005.

1. gdbaby

gdbaby Prettier than before
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It's the only reason I can give for why I have not heard anything.

Any other possible explanations?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TimmyTheWonderD

TimmyTheWonderD Takin' it 1 day @ a time!
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student

Well, I was going to say it might be due to the cold, as cold slows down the firing of axons…please refer to the following excerpt from published research…
    In admissionso committeeous, a sudden visual stimulus (applicants file) elicits a stereotyped, short-latency escape response that is controlled primarily by the giant axon system at 15°C. We used this startle response as an assay to examine the effects of acute temperature changes down to 6°C on behavioral and physiological aspects of committee decisions. In standard university admissions committee members, latency, distance traveled and peak velocity for single decision all increased as temperature decreased. In restrained committee members, intra-cranial pressure transients during decision making increased in latency, duration and amplitude at low temperature. Recordings of stellar nerve activity revealed repetitive firing of the giant motor axon accompanied by increased activity in the non-giant motor axons that run in parallel. Selective stimulation of giant and non-giant motor axons in isolated nerve–muscle preparations failed to show the effects seen in vivo, i.e. increased number of interview invitations and increased number of acceptances at low temperature. Taken together, these results suggest that A. committeeous is able to compensate decision-making performance for the effects of acute temperature reduction. A major portion of this compensation appears to occur in the central nervous system and involves alterations in the recruitment pattern of both the giant and non-giant axon systems.

But since Denver is currently at 49 (Chicago is 25) I guess that is probably not the reason.

(Original giant squid article can be found at http://www.cephbase.utmb.edu/refdb/pdf/6619.pdf

4. gdbaby

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Wow. This was very thoughful. Still, I think the "heavy" hypothesis may hold more credence.

5. ShyRem

ShyRem I need more coffee.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think they are intimidated by our obvious good looks, fabulous non-med experiences and skills, and outstanding brain power.

6. gdbaby

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Do I smell? I think I may smell. With how close I live to the school, they may be able to smell me from my house. Oh god.

Shy, I want you to get an interview, just so you can stay at my house and I will finally get to meet you!

7. TimmyTheWonderD

TimmyTheWonderD Takin' it 1 day @ a time!
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student

didn't concur with my hypothesis, eh doctor?
    well, can you provide some proof concerning this "heavy" object's existence? aren't you a little far from Roswell for heavy things to be crashing from the sky? as mota would say, "discuss"

8. thefafo

thefafo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I just heard from the adcom earlier this week! It's my first choice so I was super excited. My interview is on Friday January 13th (woot, I'm hoping it will be my lucky day), so that should give you an idea of how early they're planning for interviews. Good luck all!

9. gdbaby

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Congrats Bambi, you've got the numbers they are looking for so I have no doubt that you will be in like Flynn! Good luck! Please come back and tell us how it went.

I am wondering if I could sneak in and try to reshape some of my numbers. Anyway of changing a Physics 8 into an 11?

Shy, heavy things are falling all the time. Telescopes, satellites, just big people dropping from the sky. We are a mile up too which means they have less distance to fall. I like the beauty thing, but right now I am in sweat pants in my office which means I went out in public like this.

10. gdbaby

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am going to call over there today and here's what I am going to offer:

1. The pizzelles I am making this weekend (be checking your mailbox next week Shy)

2. One of the presents for me under the tree (I know at least one is big and expensive, if my husband listens to me!!)

3. That they put a red sticker on the top of my application signifying that, should an interview slot open open, I could be at the school in a matter of minutes! I will also never be late to class. I am just not that type of person.

What do you think the response will be? Stay tuned.....

11. ShyRem

Attending Physician
    Heck, I'd even say I would go to EVERY SINGLE class! Never skip. Never.

12. thefafo

thefafo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I will definately bring any feedback I can back here. Two of my friends were recently admitted and they gave me some pretty good advice. One is an absolute genius with a 36 MCAT, but she's really humble and nice so I can't hate her. The other was a second time applicant who improved his application the second time around. They told me basically to stay really calm at the interview and to make sure you get across the great points about yourself to give to the interviewer because they are the ones that basically "sell" you to the adcom. I hope this helps all y'all.

13. ShyRem

Attending Physician
    thefafo, it would if they would give us an interview!!!!!!!!!!! I want an interview!!!!!!!!!!!

Must be time to make more eggnog - with extra nog.

14. gdbaby

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Through some Kahlua in there. Yummmieee!

15. gdbaby

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Okay, so I called. First, the gentleman told me to check the status page. I told him, nicely, that it really isn't a status page so much as it is a static page (i.e., doesn't change).

Then I asked him if I could bribe him with presents or baked goods. He laughed and said I could, but it may not get me anywhere.

Then he told me that he is waiting to hear back from the committee about my application and he said, and I quote "it could be in 24 hours or it could be next March." I told him I would try to keep that narrow block of time open. Laughing again.

Then I told him that I was establishing a new "red phone" service at their office, so that if an interview opens up, you can get in direct contact with me and I could be there within the hour. He laughed and said "have a nice day."

Well with the scenario he gave me, who WOULDN'T have a nice day?!?!

16. ShyRem

Attending Physician
    He said the same thing to me two months ago.

I called again in November, and a very nice lady said exactly the same thing again. I think they have a script they read from.

On another note, VCU decisions will be out in about 25 minutes. I'm seriously about to puke I want that one so much.

17. the brown note

the brown note wading through sh!t
    5+ Year Member

Good luck, ShyRem!!!! :luck: :luck: :luck: I hope you get great news from VCU!!!!

18. tacrum43

tacrum43 Behold the mighty echidna
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    :laugh: You really said that stuff? That's hilarious. Especially the comment about the static page.

19. MeowMix

MeowMix Explaining "Post-Call"
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    just a warning, girls - there are only 2 people in that office, and their desks are less than 10' apart - as they often tell us, if the admissions staff know who you are BEFORE you are accepted, it's not a good sign (it's even worse if they know you just by the sound of your voice)...

good reasons to call would be e.g. you thought you paid your secondary fee but it's not showing up as paid on the status page; you thought your LORs were in but they don't seem to be; you call ONCE to be sure that your app is complete, etc.

I know it sucks, but there is not much else for you to do at this point.

20. C.P. Jones

C.P. Jones Catface Majigger
    7+ Year Member

i haven't really read the last posts, so i hope this wasn't already said:

are they stuck under a boulder haha YES!!!! good night! i'll be here all week!

21. gdbaby

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Don't forget to tip your waitress!!!!

Yes, that conversation really did happen. I am pretty much operating on defeatist mode with this one so know me, don't know me, whatever. I know I will be a funny, hard working, encouraging student wherever I go. No MCAT score can tell someone that.

Yes, I did just talk to my mom.

22. StrssdOut

StrssdOut Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm starting to think that the 80% instate thing is a big fat lie. They want money. They want it now. Out of state....at 80000 for the first year it makes our in state money look like pennies. They'll never get that new school built on that!

23. gdbaby

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Amen. I know I don't have the MCAT scores to get the interview at CU anyway, but I am going to keep complaining. I think they make a round of phone calls today ( I know two people who received calls on Thursdays and 2 is a pretty good sample size in anthropological terms!), but let's just say I won't be upping the volume on my ringer so as to not miss the call.

24. ShyRem

Attending Physician
    yeah, but gd don't you think our own in-state institution should interview such absolutely fabulous applicants like ourselves? I mean, you're hilariously funny and smart, and I knit and cook like a fiend. I thought they were going for diversity... :( Who's more diverse than us?!? :laugh:

25. gdbaby

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The only thing that could possibly make us more diverse is if you were a little person and I a triple amputee. Hmmmm....
    Shy, we are totally fabulous. My son told me I was this morning. I gave him some Cheerios and he told me I was "awesome." So there, Colorado!!!

26. RayhanS1282

RayhanS1282 perpetually percolated
    10+ Year Member

:laugh: Have him hand-paint a LOR and send it to Colorado.

27. gdbaby

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    He could probably score better on the MCAT than I did, since I fear that is what they look at most closely. I know Shy's kids can. Damn.

28. RayhanS1282

10+ Year Member

Speaking of smarter kids, I pray to God, I marry a girl with brains, if not then it looks like a bleak future for my kids. They'll be the ones that are trying to fit a round block into a square peg with a hammer when they are 8 years old and God forbid if they get my looks...they'll be dumb and ugly...who can love them?

29. gdbaby

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    See the beginning of my post #23 for the answer to that question. Ha

30. RayhanS1282

10+ Year Member

Whatchoo talkin' about GD? :confused:

31. Lyricist

Lyricist Art Imitating Art
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Your avvy's absolutely adorable! Is that your son?

32. gdbaby

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Oooops, #24. Now the joke is gone. i bet you are super cute anyway, Rayhan.

33. gdbaby

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yep. Genetically, two wrongs can make a right.

34. ShyRem

Attending Physician
    gd, you have found the love!!!! WOWOWOWOWOWOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go gd... go gd... go gd.. go gd.....

35. gdbaby

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks Shy! When I called to confirm my interview, I did some subliminal "ShyRem" name placement. you will be getting your email within two days. Our stats are the same, so I have no doubt you will be hearing something soon!

36. medicalbound

medicalbound Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Crap! I've already started a staging area to move my stuff into your house. How can you be so selfish?

Just kidding gd, CONGRATULATIONS! When is the interview?

37. RxnMan

RxnMan Who, me? A doctor?
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Congrats, gdbaby.

38. big_smiles

big_smiles Tiffanator - -BoooYaaHH!
    7+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Believe me I know how frustrating it is not to hear a peep from your favorite school. Good luck gdbaby and ShyRem. After 7 months of waiting about my favorite school (that I have done research at for the past 2 years), I called to only find out rejection. It's so darn frustrating. I soooo hope this is not your luck. Plus you have a family in CO, you need to go there. It would be so much easier on you and your family. Good luck to you! I hope Colorado gives you the exciting phone call or email soon. :)

39. ShyRem

Attending Physician
    oh, big_smiles, I haven't heard from Colorado. Just gd. I've got a spot all picked out for the rejection letter in my pile of firestarting materials. If gd got the last or next to last interview day, I'm pretty much hosed at this point I think. But in four years they'll still call me Dr. ShyRem.

40. the brown note

the brown note wading through sh!t
    5+ Year Member

CONGRATS, gdbaby!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :hardy: :hardy: I hope you get in (how could they fail to admit you--just do one of your standup routines and stamp "ACCEPTED" on their interview sheet while they're wiping away the tears from laughing so hard ;) )! :luck:

And good luck, ShyRem--I hope they come to their senses very, very soon and give you an interview! :luck: But congrats on your acceptance--you're gonna be a doctor! :)

41. gdbaby

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    thanks guys! I had a dream last night that ShyRem called me to tell me that she got into Colorado and she bought a house on my street. Then her daughter was babysitting my son and her husband and my husband were best friends. Shy, you have to get an interview--it will be the closest thing to summer camp I can imagine at 33.

42. ShyRem

Attending Physician
    Would be nice, gd. But no dice yet.