Mar 11, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I've looked at the Bio book, and it seemed awful. Lots of mistakes.

FollowTheMoney

ASA Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2010
Hahaha, so you think all of them are terrible right? I'm talking about the new ones too...(colorful/shiny/attractive looking ones).

Mar 11, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I haven't looked at the others, as a result of bio... Some very careless errors on many questions (their explanation states that A is the right answer, but they marked B as the right answer). Some subtle errors as well.

But yeah, I looked at the recent Bio subject book.

dbeast

That's cool I guess
7+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2010
The hospital, duh
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Totally agree... Their online resources are pretty good though. My score has gone up over 10 points using Kaplan but I haven't opened the books since I found the exact same horrendous mistakes you're talking about.

FollowTheMoney

ASA Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2010
Yeah man its painful to try and go through those books. They're horrendous! They don't tell you what you truly need to know, they're extremely verbose without really teaching you anything, and are a complete waste of time. Once I realized this, I ordered EK but felt that wasn't sufficient enough (except Bio) so I ordered TBR Physics, Chem, and OChem and I am waiting for those. What online materials did you feel helped you the most? I'm trying to decide what I should actually use besides the Kaplan FLs #1-6 and AAMC #3-10.

StarryNights

10+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I like the older version without all the "jokes" and stories that they throw in. A friend of mine is borrowing the new set right now and I almost feel bad for him having to read through that. I studied PS with TPR first and reviewed later with Kaplan just to see a new explanation approach. If I had started with Kaplan first, I think I wouldn't have gotten a good grasp of the material. I liked Kaplan for Bio and O Chem better though, something about the way chapters were organized really worked for me. TPR Bio is way too much.