ALL of my activities are less than 1 year... but I'll have 1.5 years of clinical exp from 2 places?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IcedCoffeeOnly

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, so I'm writing rough drafts of the descriptions of my activities, and I just realized all of my activities are less than 1 year. BUT, I will have continuous clinical experience from February of 2021 to July 2021, and then September 2021 to next year (so 1+ year total), except it'd be from 2 different sources.

I was volunteering at a free clinic since February 2021 until the end of July, but I was recently asked to stop coming because they wanted to cut down on the number of personnel (had nothing to do with my personality or performance). I was able to find a hospice visitor volunteering activity, and I will be starting that soon, probably in September after my training. That will go on until whenever it needs to, at least until next June 2022. I will keep doing it well into 2022 though.

I started non-clinical volunteering in July as well with a homeless shelter, so that'll be ~9 months of activity before I apply. I'll keep doing this volunteering well into my application cycle, because I enjoy it a lot (but I'll have 9 months worth by next cycle).

I briefly worked as a tutor before as well, but that was also for like 6 months...

I don't have a single activity that's over 1 year. I heard that looks very bad because it doesn't show any commitment... am I screwed?? I have hobbies like world-building and writing that I do for fun, and that's been going on for 4+ years, but I haven't published or shared anything about it. No clubs either...

My stats are 3.3 sGPA, 3.3 cGPA, 3.87 postbacc, 517 MCAT, with probably 300 hours of clinical experience (1.5 years, broken down between 2 places), 200 hours of non-clinical experience (1 place, 9 months), and 70 hours of shadowing with 2 doctors.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to assume that you came to a decision to go to medical school later than first or second year of college. If so, that does explain not having clinical experience and community service work from day one of college as some people do. Your path is your path and if well explained, the work/activities will make sense given the circumstances.

Have you had any employment, even if not related to medicine? Tutoring's good. A hobby is good. Any group activities of any kind that shows that you work well in a group or as part of a team? Any leadership shown as you advanced in any of those activities. Not everything has to be related to medicine, particularly if you are at all "non-traditional".

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in a similar situation: nontrad that will have most of my ECs during the last years of college. I cant help but feel that all of my volunteering etc. will be seen as phony box checking. If I were an adcom, I would ask why I didn't do any of these altruistic activities (besides two I've done since a kid) prior to wanting to go to medical school and tbh I don't have an answer

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in a similar situation: nontrad that will have most of my ECs during the last years of college. I cant help but feel that all of my volunteering etc. will be seen as phony box checking. If I were an adcom, I would ask why I didn't do any of these altruistic activities (besides two I've done since a kid) prior to wanting to go to medical school and tbh I don't have an answer

You've done two altruistic things since childhoood and have not yet graduated college? I don't see the problem. I also don't exactly see how someone still in college is "non-trad" (unless you worked for years after HS and before attending college).

Reactions: 1 user
You've done two altruistic things since childhoood and have not yet graduated college? I don't see the problem. I also don't exactly see how someone still in college is "non-trad" (unless you worked for years after HS and before attending college).
I'm late 20s and worked in between HS and college. The volunteering I have done (make a wish and autism center) is from my HS days

I'm late 20s and worked in between HS and college. The volunteering I have done (make a wish and autism center) is from my HS days
Volunteerism from HS doesn't belong on your application in the work/activities section (what we sometimes call ECs extracurriculars) particularly if you are more than 5 years removed from HS unless you continued this activity into adulthood.

Is "helping people" your motivation for medicine? Show me that you've acted on your desire to help people who need help using your current circumstances and skill set.

Reactions: 1 users