All opinions welcome!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Will

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, it is the beginning of April and I have no acceptances as of today. Got to start thinking about the eventuality that I will not get accepted this cycle. I don't mind applying again. I have a lot of areas on my application that can be improved, esp letters and EC's.

My question is about the good ol' MCAT. I'm about 90% sure I will be taking it in August, as much as I dread it. I scored a 29Q on last April's test. But, the breakdown wasn't as nice as I would have liked...8,8,13. It was a very bad morning in April for me. Didn't expect to score like this. Just wanted to find out how many of you would retake it given my situation.

Members don't see this ad.

I would. You have room for improvement. Great bio score...you just have to bring the others up to par. I think a 10,10,13 would look nice, don't you?

With that breakdown, I'd probably retake it. Even if your score only improves a couple points, if the breakdown evens out, I think it would probably be worth it.

Also, you would definitely want to work on those areas of your app that can be improved. I'd also suggest that you reevaluate the number and range of schools you apply to.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think a 29 is high enough to get in, but a 33 would definitely give you some more options, so if you are confident that you can score higher, then definitely do it. But if you take the August MCAT, make sure that your applications are ready to be complete whe the results come back. It can really hurt you to wait too long to apply.

JohnM,

That was part of my problem this cycle. My application was very late since I wasn't sure if I wanted to apply with these scores. I really think that this was one of the issues that bit me in the behind during this process

Depending on how soon you want to enter school, I would recommend taking the August MCAT and waiting until the following summer to apply. thsi would give you the opportunity to enhance your EC's and LOR's and still apply early and get some good interviews.

Will,
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if you re-applied (EARLY) with the same application and got a choice of acceptances next year. That's really what happened to me, I applied late, and got 0 acceptances, but this year (nothing in my app really changed) I'm doing much better.

A 29 is a fine score if say the breakdown is 10, 9, 10...but yours isn't. Retake, but also don't give up on this year if you're on any waitlists. There won't be much movement on those until after May 15th.

I have 29 as well. (August 2001)
My breakdown is much worse than yours. 6, 13, 10

I am currently at two waitlists, but I don't think I will get in this year.

I registered to take April MCAT, but I think I will have to postpone it till August.

Just realize that in the past, more than three quarters of all retesters with a 13 or higher on the physical or biological sciences, score lower in that section on a re-test (<a href="http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/examineedata/tables.htm" target="_blank">link</a>). Aim to improve that score, but don't be surprised if you end up with a higher total score with a lower individual section. Best of luck.

Take the August MCAT - it couldn't hurt, even though your scores aren't bad. BUT (contrary to what others are saying) apply this fall. Get everything organized and ready to go this summer, LOR, PS and you can even start your application early. There is no sense in setting it back another year because you are worried about a late application. This may not get you into the most competitive schools, but the important thing is you will be on your way to becoming a doc a year earlier! :wink: