Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

All secondaries completed...still waiting on DO to write LOR...what to do?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Zaids37, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Zaids37

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Today marks the day I finished all my secondaries! But I'm still waiting on the DO I shadowed to write my LOR. I havent submitted any LOR to the schools because I dont want them to review and make a decision on my application without the complete package (including the DO LOR). I already sent one reminder and I feel bad sending another, but at this point its the only thing holding me back from being reviewed at all my schools. What to do :arghh:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. yanks26dmb

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I believe many schools will review your app and offer ii without the letter in hand...may want to call and find out for sure though.

Also, how long have you been waiting on the DO to do the letter?

4. Zaids37

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I just don't want them to review it thinking there is no DO LOR or even review it in general because I know having one is highly recommended so I feel like they'll be reviewing my application at sort of a disadvantage without it. If it is not submitted soon then I may call and see what they say.

Its been almost a month and half now. She is a very busy doctor though so I understand that it takes some time and I don't want to bother her but my application is depending on it so I'm sort of confused on what to do at this point.

5. yanks26dmb

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would make a phone call and immediately begin by telling her you're sorry for bothering, you know there are more important things in her life, and please forgive you if you come across as pushy. After that, I'd say your applications are all complete and you'd really like to get them in while things are relatively early, but you're still in need of her letter of rec. I'd probably apologize again for being forward, but ask if theres any way should could get it done within the next week.

Doing that will probably get the job done.

Also, you can email admissions an let them know a DO letter is coming.

Crookster and Zaids37 like this.
  6. Zaids37

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

7. yanks26dmb

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Just tell yourself it's your livelihood that's on the line here....because well, it is.

Make it happen.

8. Dr. Death

2+ Year Member

I feel your pain. I literally switched my daughters PCP to the DO I shadowed so that I could have an excuse to harass him about my LOR. Best of luck to you I really hope it works out.

9. jwilliams1993

jwilliams1993 OMS-II
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Listen to me right now: you need to do everything you can to bother that DO and get your letter. The DO that wrote mine last year took ages to submit it, and that was with me seeing him a few times a week (worked in the ER together). Submitting it late causes your secondary to be incomplete. All this time you're spending trying to not be bothersome is time where other people are submitting and being interviewed before you.

I don't mean to sound harsh, I just want to help you avoid the situation I got myself into!!

10. So you shadowed this physician and he/she agreed to write you a LOR? If the physician agreed to write you a LOR, you are more than justified to follow up (politely) and inquire about the status. If the physician didn't want to write you a LOR, they shouldn't have allowed you to shadow. Or, if they didn't want to write you a LOR and still allowed you to shadow, he/she should have disclosed this upfront.

As yanks said, make this happen (politely)!

11. lyana

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    send them a Thank You card about how thankful you are that they wrote you a LOR.
    I was in a similar situation with my professor and it did wonders.
    Good luck.