all the UCLA people..can i get some class advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr2010

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im gonna be a junior in fall, and I'm planning to take the mcat my senior year.

Im a little behind on the pre-req requirements so I was wondering if this schedule for junior year is doable.

Fall Quarter:

LS 3
Chem 14D
Chem 14CL
Spanish 2

Winter:
LS 4
Physics 6B
English
Spanish 3

Spring:
Physics 6C
Biochem 153A
English
Spanish 4

Also, Im debating between Molecular cell and developmental bio as my major or something like history or english, I just cant help but get this nagging feeling that what if i dont get into med school what then will I do with my history major, btw I really enjoy both history and MCDB

any advice is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

That schedule's perfect. Seriously. You won't have to kill yourself with studying for too many science classes at once, but you'll still fulfill most of the pre-reqs.

Could you minor in history and major in MCDB?

I agree w/UCLAStudent--I would try to major in MCDB and minor in history if you can--I don't know if that is possible with the maximum units thing they impose on us. your schedule for winter and spring look great to me. i would be hesitant about fall quarter because you have 3 sciences and language...14CL is a pretty decent amount of work (nothing compared to 153L, but still) since you have lab twice a week and 14D (i had it with Luceigh) was really interesting (i like ochem) in my opinion, but both of those with LS3 would be enough for me. But, then on top of that you have spanish--and since our language classes are everyday, you're going to always have to be prepared for it (i.e., for quizzes, HW, etc). So it's completely doable, but just keep in mind that your fall quarter is going to be hard! is there anyway you can hold off spanish 2 until winter and then just move each spanish back a quarter, so you end up taking spanish 4 senior year? just a thought! either way, good luck :)

Members don't see this ad :)
DoctorV09, I actually thought 153L was way easier than 14CL! Personal preference, I guess. :)

Fall will be on the hard side, but not unbearable. I took Chem 14D, LS 1, Math 3C, and Spanish 2 concurrently, so three sciences at once is doable.

UCLAstudent said:
DoctorV09, I actually thought 153L was way easier than 14CL! Personal preference, I guess. :)

Fall will be on the hard side, but not unbearable. I took Chem 14D, LS 1, Math 3C, and Spanish 2 concurrently, so three sciences at once is doable.

Nice avatar

Im in ls 10H and Chem 14C right now along with spanish 1 and eng 4w.

Im in the lab for ls 10h almost 16 hrs a week ontop of my extracurriculars so this quarter really taught me about time management. As for spanish, I dont already speak it but it comes easily to me so im not too worried. Plus one of the reasons I want to take spanish IS because its 5 days a week, it forces me to go to class!

As for the majoring thing, im leaning toward mcdb cuz the way i got it planned, im gonna take 153L next summer and 100 also, in two seperate sessions. That way senior year i only have 8 classes, so i can continue with spanish or start Farsi, we'll see thanks for the advice guys..only a month left.

Also what majors are you guys if u dont mind me asking, and how do med schools look upon going past the 4 years, probably no differently im sure, but just wondering, cuz my gpa aint to hot right now, this quarter i should get a 3.9 which will help, but i need to work up basically.

thanks

Dr2010 said:
Im gonna be a junior in fall, and I'm planning to take the mcat my senior year.

Im a little behind on the pre-req requirements so I was wondering if this schedule for junior year is doable.

Fall Quarter:

LS 3
Chem 14D
Chem 14CL
Spanish 2

Winter:
LS 4
Physics 6B
English
Spanish 3

Spring:
Physics 6C
Biochem 153A
English
Spanish 4

Also, Im debating between Molecular cell and developmental bio as my major or something like history or english, I just cant help but get this nagging feeling that what if i dont get into med school what then will I do with my history major, btw I really enjoy both history and MCDB

any advice is greatly appreciated.

Save 3 classes for summer (forced to work in summer which helps with volunteering) and RELAX, there is no need to take that many classes. While it is doable, I would rather pull a 4.0 over the next two years with a relaxed schedule then worry and work hard to pull less than 4.0. Taking MCAT senior year means you will be applying after senior year, so dude, relax and get as high a GPA as possible and study for the MCAT as hard as possible, allowing yourself the time to partake in meaningful activities. Loading up junior year when applying senior year is POINTLESS! Good luck though and PM with any questions!