metallica81788

Keeper of the Llamaworm
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Hi guys,

It's only been 3 months in medical school, and I'm realizing something. Do medical students only talk about medicine with each other? It seems like no one is interested in talking about anything else. When I bring up sports, music, or just small talk, the conversation quickly goes back to the genetics exam or what not. I was wondering if you guys have the same experience? I just want to get my mind off of med school at times, but it's just not happening, it seems.
Me and my friends talk mainly sports and then school. We have a fantasy league and play sports on the weekends, so we only talk about school at school.

thepoopologist

Ph.D in Clinical Meconium
7+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
Hi guys,

It's only been 3 months in medical school, and I'm realizing something. Do medical students only talk about medicine with each other? It seems like no one is interested in talking about anything else. When I bring up sports, music, or just small talk, the conversation quickly goes back to the genetics exam or what not. I was wondering if you guys have the same experience? I just want to get my mind off of med school at times, but it's just not happening, it seems.
Yeah, you're **** out of luck. Change is slow.

DrYoda

Space Cowboy
10+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2008
Dagobah System
Status
Attending Physician
Depends which med students your talking to. I don't talk to my classmates about school that much, lately college football has been the main conversation topic.

This is a good reason to have some non-med student friends though.

Nov 1, 2010
Status
Medical Student
This is a good reason to have some non-med student friends though.
Unfortunately, they mostly want to hear all about medicine and med school too, because they tend to think it's so interesting and admirable.

Jan 15, 2010
NY
Status
Medical Student
i feel similar. i think it has a lot to do with not getting established in the "right" group. don't get me wrong, i like the group of friends i'm with but pretty much all we have in common (or all that i have in common with them) is the fact that we're in med school. when we hang out (outside of eating lunch) it's to do schoolwork. and when we talk about non school stuff it's generally sports (and i'm not into them).

what kind of sucks is that i see other people who seem to be more social within their own groups and i wish that i had made friends with them, but at this point it'd be kind of awkward to transition but who knows maybe with time it'll change.

ThaliaNox

10+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I sometimes felt all we talked about was school this time last year. Part of that is that med student groups of friends at first are a bit artificial and all you really have in common is school. You study, you party once or twice a month and you attempt to feed yourselves and shower daily. The last two sometimes don't happen. By the time you're all comfortable with school and have had time to do things outside of school together other conversation topics will develop. The groups of friends will also shift more to groups of people with more things in common, as opposed to blindly hanging out with the people from your orientation drunk-fests.

BigRedBeta

Why am I in a handbasket?
10+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Any time you get a large group of people together who's main connection is all one thing...that's what gets talked about.

If you were on a baseball team with 20 other people who you'd only known for a short period of time, you wouldn't think twice about the fact that you only talked about baseball.

Marcus Brody

Already has the grail.
10+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
In med school it's hard to find anyone that shares an experience with you as closely as medicine. And it is an intense process, that no one outside the class understands, even other people in medicine, so classmates are the best people, the only people really, to commiserate with. Some people used to get all bothered when school stuff came up out at the bar or whatever, like there has to be a separation between school and social, but that barrier is hard to maintain. Just gotta let off some steam sometimes, it's natural.

Rollo

Renowned Wolf
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Status
Medical Student
Yeah honestly it's not surprising. It used to bother me at first but I slowly started to realize that nobody outside of medicine really understands what you're going through.

Nobody. Not even your parents, your grandma, your best friend, your pastor, nobody!

Except other medical students!

Give some of your newly formed friendships some time to develop too. You will eventually find other things to talk about as time goes by and you get closer to them.

MilkmanAl

Al the Ass Mod
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2008
Kansas City, MO
www.facebook.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I've found that talking about school this year isn't quite so bad since not everyone's doing the same things all at once. You can actually give other people a heads up, and it's not purely talking shop. That said, I definitely try to avoid school talk as much as possible. I get plenty of med school in med school.

Nov 1, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Stay away from premeds as well;), they're just as bad.
Oh you did not just go there !

Nah, I figured I should give premeds a chance while they're still fresh and naive :D Once the real thing starts they're just going to be too grumpy and mad at the whole world.

Untraditional

Making bad career decisions since 2003
5+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hi guys,

Most people study all day. You can only talk about what you know.

Last edited:

Dirt

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2008
From the earth.
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Any time you get a large group of people together who's main connection is all one thing...that's what gets talked about.

If you were on a baseball team with 20 other people who you'd only known for a short period of time, you wouldn't think twice about the fact that you only talked about baseball.
I dare anyone to find me an office/workplace, any single one, where the employees don't talk about work. Doesn't exist.

teachers talk about teaching. Accountants talk about taxes. Lawyers talk about law. Everyone loves to bitch about their boss.

metallica81788

Keeper of the Llamaworm
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Unfortunately, they mostly want to hear all about medicine and med school too, because they tend to think it's so interesting and admirable.
My non-med school friends think I'm crazy for doing it and usually don't want to hear anything about it. :laugh:

It's tough. But i'm in a fantasy league as well to get my mind off things
Exactly. I find myself talking more about the fantasy league with my friends than actual school. Except this week, because we just finished exams and we were all bitching about those.

rxforlife2004

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2004
Visit site
Status
Non-Student
Hi guys,

nerds! lol

Nov 1, 2010
Status
Medical Student
My non-med school friends think I'm crazy for doing it and usually don't want to hear anything about it. :laugh:
Well good for you.

It's so annoying when they get all excited and say things like: Oh if I was a doctor, I'd be a surgeon for sure, because it's the coolest specialty.
Or: I wish I had gone to medical school, I'm a natural and would do well, because I had an A in science in high school :rolleyes:

I need new friends....

girlofgrace7

10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2007
California
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I really don't think people talk about actual school that often (unless you count the corny medical puns or someone using the material to make some sort of nerdy joke while at post-exam parties.... and they generally get boo-ed and yelled at). I mean, we sometimes whine when we're in the library studying or comfort one another if one is struggling, but other than that, I find that people tend to talk a lot more about sports, drinking, girls/guys, music, movies, and TV. We all try to stay away from any conversation remotely grade-related. I have found that nearly all of my medical student friends' Facebook statuses tend to be humorous quotes by our professors or other med students though.

ama75

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2008
Boston, MA
Status
Medical Student
I really don't think people talk about actual school that often (unless you count the corny medical puns or someone using the material to make some sort of nerdy joke while at post-exam parties.... and they generally get boo-ed and yelled at). I mean, we sometimes whine when we're in the library studying or comfort one another if one is struggling, but other than that, I find that people tend to talk a lot more about sports, drinking, girls/guys, music, movies, and TV. We all try to stay away from any conversation remotely grade-related. I have found that nearly all of my medical student friends' Facebook statuses tend to be humorous quotes by our professors or other med students though.
No one I know in my class wants to talk about world news or finance. It's all about sports and parties :(

girlofgrace7

10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2007
California
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
No one I know in my class wants to talk about world news or finance. It's all about sports and parties :(
Haha.... that may be true. I have found a few people to discuss literature, ethics, and religion now and then, but the problem is not just med school.... that's people in general. Most people don't want to have more than superficial conversations.