All you MCATers out there

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDWannabe

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A success story that I'd like to share with you guys.

I took the MCATs the first time this past spring, right before the end of my second year (junior year because I'm getting out in three) at school. I took Kaplan classes from January till April, and before that I had the books and was reading during winter break. I beat my brains out, did everything I could, and put everything and everyone on hold. I took the April test and got a 30P. I was pretty upset because I had spent a lot of time, money, and had hid in a cave studying for about 6 months.

I had two options at that point. Walk away with my tail between my legs, or give that damn test another try in August. So I did, and it was painful. I did a few things differently however:

- I stayed the hell away from the Kaplan center so I wouldn't get overstressed by other Mcaters
- Bought the AAMC tests, and did them all, on my own time
- Bought an Exam Krackers verbal book and went through it to boost my weakest section

My score in August was a 36S.

If I could do it, I know that you can. Don't give up. PM me for specific suggestions, good luck to all.

Members don't see this ad.

Medikit said:
Wow I bet that encourages a lot of people out there who are really bummed out with their 30s and want to hit the 97th percentile. Thanks for sharing.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Classic!

What a great way to start the day! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

MDWannabe said:
A success story that I'd like to share with you guys.

I took the MCATs the first time this past spring, right before the end of my second year (junior year because I'm getting out in three) at school. I took Kaplan classes from January till April, and before that I had the books and was reading during winter break. I beat my brains out, did everything I could, and put everything and everyone on hold. I took the April test and got a 30P. I was pretty upset because I had spent a lot of time, money, and had hid in a cave studying for about 6 months.

I had two options at that point. Walk away with my tail between my legs, or give that damn test another try in August. So I did, and it was painful. I did a few things differently however:

- I stayed the hell away from the Kaplan center so I wouldn't get overstressed by other Mcaters
- Bought the AAMC tests, and did them all, on my own time
- Bought an Exam Krackers verbal book and went through it to boost my weakest section

My score in August was a 36S.

If I could do it, I know that you can. Don't give up. PM me for specific suggestions, good luck to all.

congrats on the improvement, but really is it common for those who scored a 30 to want to retake? I'm afraid you're scaring others into thinking they should.

i guess i really don't know what i'd do in a similar position, but honestly even with all the prep i did and even if I scored lower than my practices (with a 30), i'm not sure i could put myself thru that torture again. i don't know...maybe i'd think differently in that position if i was really convinced i could do better, but right now it seems so insane.

In retrospect, I wish I hadn't put the numbers up- my point was just to show people that it is possible to boost a score significantly just by approaching it differently, and to encourage them not to give up on a second, third, or even fourth crack at the test. I may not be the best example someone who's really struggled with it, but I hope that people understand where I'm coming from.