Allergy Immunology and Rheumatology dual track

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rheumination1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Was wondering if there are any combined A/I rheum fellow graduates. The two specialties used to be a combined track (3 years) but recently they've split into 2 years each as separate fellowships. Is there any worth pursuing a complete 4 years if one's plan is to go into private practice? Essentially one would be losing 2 years of private practice salary pursuing the second fellowship.

If research is ones aim, I agree that immunology and rheum dual certification is highly valuable. But let's focus our attention on private practice.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

Was wondering if there are any combined A/I rheum fellow graduates. The two specialties used to be a combined track (3 years) but recently they've split into 2 years each as separate fellowships. Is there any worth pursuing a complete 4 years if one's plan is to go into private practice? Essentially one would be losing 2 years of private practice salary pursuing the second fellowship.

If research is ones aim, I agree that immunology and rheum dual certification is highly valuable. But let's focus our attention on private practice.

I think there's still a combo fellowship at Rochester, no?

There might be... But that really doesn't answer the question posed above...

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't see enough overlap to justify doing both for private practice.

I was thinking more of a practice structure like M-W rheumatology Th-F A/I. I don't how financially beneficial this is as opposed to doing rheum M-F

Do A/I $$$

bump...I"m interested in this as well. Is this plausible for a career? I would love the diversity I could see with both Rheum and A/I and I think there would be quite a bit of overlap between the two which would be nice. Is there a list of 3 year fellowship programs available?

There is not that much overlap between vasculitis and allergy to peanuts.

Reactions: 1 user
If there is not much overlap, why were they initially a single fellowship track?

If there is not much overlap, why were they initially a single fellowship track?

If we go any further back, everything used to be one long leechology fellowship track. There is hardly any overlap (hypersensitivity vasculitis, asthma with CSS), it used to make sense when the immune system was new and you treated everything with steroids and NSAIDS.

Reactions: 1 users
The biologics don't make much sense if you don't understand immunology ...

Not at all, but my point was that there still is overlap between the specialties, at least in theory, not sure about the real practice of it, hence, my original question.

Last edited:
Either that or if you want to be unemployed or working for peanuts while generating more revenue for the older partners.

Are you an allergist? That's right you're not...

You're getting irritating

Are you an allergist? That's right you're not...

You're getting irritating
Lol, so you have to be an allergist to know that there aren't many jobs out there? Ok.

There were never many combined fellowships. The two fields are clinically very different. The interest in the combined pathway was primarily to produce researchers. I know of very few people who have done a combined program and continued to practice both once they're out. Almost everyone picks one path or the other because of the reality of trying to cram two separate fields into one practice