• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Allergy/Immunology Job Market?

JDoc9

7+ Year Member
May 8, 2013
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if all of the "doom and gloom" regarding the allergy/immunology job market is justified or if this would still be a good field to go into if it peaks your interest. Any and all feedback will be much appreciated!

bronx43

Word.
    15+ Year Member
    Apr 22, 2006
    1. Attending Physician
      Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if all of the "doom and gloom" regarding the allergy/immunology job market is justified or if this would still be a good field to go into if it peaks your interest. Any and all feedback will be much appreciated!
      I'm not an allergist, but I was set on going into it as a resident until I spoke to some folks and realized the job market was poor. At my institution, only two of the last four fellows were able to find permanent gigs in the area straight out of fellowship. One had to do a third "research" year and eventually had to move far away from family to get a position. The other is currently doing a third "junior faculty" position. And I live in a relatively large Midwestern metro area (pop of 2 mil).
      And from what I understand, reimbursement for shots and testing is going down as well. But if you're interested in the field, you're interested in the field...

drfunktacular

ANA ≠ SLE
      10+ Year Member
      Oct 5, 2004
      1. Attending Physician
        I have heard reimbursement is going down for testing and shots

Also (at least in my area) allergy testing and treatment is largely being farmed out to PCP office via allergy corporations that set up allergy pod practices in the PCPs' offices. Not good if you're trying to be a professional allergist...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.